Lacre, Souls, the Devils and You

So, given certain revelations during the Feast of Masks regarding the eventual fate of the citizens of a fallen city, suddenly selling souls to the Devils doesn’t seem quite as bad as it did before.[li]

In some lights it may even be the most moral thing to do, unless there’s one of us out there with a wine-cellar big enough to store six million stolen souls or so.

Thoughts? Opinions? Smugness that you already sold your own soul into a measure of safety?

[quote=Flidget]So, given certain revelations during the Feast of Masks regarding the eventual fate of the citizens of a fallen city, suddenly selling souls to the Devils doesn’t seem quite as bad as it did before.[li]

In some lights it may even be the most moral thing to do, unless there’s one of us out there with a wine-cellar big enough to store six million stolen souls or so.

Thoughts? Opinions? Smugness that you already sold your own soul into a measure of safety?[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]… I think I missed this knowledge. I have no idea what you’re talking about. :-(
[/li]

I think I remember a mention of the Rosers now being “in lacre”?

I was speaking more about how . . .

[spoiler]On the FATE-locked content for the Parabola destiny we found out that Soyle . . . I mean, Lacre is made of people, that the Bazaar is running low and soon the citizens of Fallen London will be gathered into its vats to replenish its supplies.

Since we already knew that Lacre can destroy souls, I’m assuming that this is going to result in the complete destruction of all of Fallen London’s citizens, even the immortal-ish bits.[/spoiler][li]
edited by Flidget on 11/29/2013[/li][li]
edited by Flidget on 11/29/2013

[quote=Flidget]I was speaking more about how . . .

[spoiler]On the FATE-locked content for the Parabola destiny we found out that Soyle . . . I mean, Lacre is made of people, that the Bazaar is running low and soon the citizens of Fallen London will be gathered into its vats to replenish its supplies.

Since we already knew that Lacre can destroy souls, I’m assuming that this is going to result in the complete destruction of all of Fallen London’s citizens, even the immortal-ish bits.[/spoiler][li]

edited by Flidget on 11/29/2013[/li][li]

edited by Flidget on 11/29/2013[/quote]

[/li]

You know, I even READ that description, but somehow I forgot the mention of lacre O_o Well well, but nobody thought that the Fall of London would have been pleasant; at the very least, that would involve much destruction and mayhem. About me, I always chose the options that seemed to help postpone the Fall as much as possible, few as they may be - like, siding with Mr. Fires (Fires! Possibly the most cruel and merciless of all Masters, except perhaps Irons? Well actually, I don’t think even Irons ever participated in something so utterly terrifying as the Orphanage -.-) in the Affair of the Box, and choosing a Gleam destiny.

Also: is there a relation between lacre and Tears of the Bazaar?

[quote=streetfelineblue]You know, I even READ that description, but somehow I forgot the mention of lacre O_o Well well, but nobody thought that the Fall of London would have been pleasant; at the very least, that would involve much destruction and mayhem. About me, I always chose the options that seemed to help postpone the Fall as much as possible, few as they may be - like, siding with Mr. Fires (Fires! Possibly the most cruel and merciless of all Masters, except perhaps Irons? Well actually, I don’t think even Irons ever participated in something so utterly terrifying as the Orphanage -.-) in the Affair of the Box, and choosing a Gleam destiny.

Also: is there a relation between lacre and Tears of the Bazaar?[/quote]
I believe, from my Parabolic dealings, that lacre is the base material for Tears, processed through the passions of the Bazaar.
[li]
edited by Cocytus on 11/29/2013

Um. Should we really be discussing fatelocked stuff even if its a while ago? Still new to the forums so im not sure.

On topic: " Everything passes except me. "
If they ever make a game about the 6th city i hope we can be in parabola in it.

[quote=Blackleaf]Um. Should we really be discussing fatelocked stuff even if its a while ago? Still new to the forums so im not sure.

On topic: &quot Everything passes except me. &quot
If they ever make a game about the 6th city i hope we can be in parabola in it.[/quote]

[li]I think that information can be easily inferred from the Nadir as well, so I don’t think it’s fate-gated. Ware Lacre.

Last time the masters sank a city into the lacre was as revenge for an aptempted revolution. Considering how close the revolutinaries are to creating “THE MACHINE”…
Yeah we are running out of times.

… though on further thought - if you’ve sold your soul to a Deviless and your cold body’s lying on a slab . . . what’s the “you” that’s currently playing chess with the Boatman?

Mind, maybe? You know, the idea that human is made of mind, body and soul. Or perhaps there is some part of your soul that stays.

Well, the immortal-ish bits (like the Duchess) have so far survived everything thrown at them, so there is a chance. But this may be because they have rather special… connection with the Bazaar.

[spoiler]
Lets consider that they have had to adapt to each city aswell. The bazaar has done the same. For example: The duchess was a african princess once, now shes a british duchess. (( Im fairly sure shes actuly a egyptian princess )) The last khan has become an old hermit in the forgotten quarter and the princess has become the leader of londons asian community.
I wonder what the next city will be and what the traitor empress will become.

There are distinctions to be made in the Neath when it comes to the nature of Death, your Soul and your conscious Self. The Neath is strange, and it is possibly the nature of death that makes selling one’s soul something that won’t outright kill you.

However, a soul is still a soul and it’s importance to someone is based on personal belief. Even if a person is not of the opinion that the Heaven above the Surface is all that it is cracked up to be, perhaps whatever the denizens of Hell have in store for it is much worse (presumably eating it). There is no moral or sensible reason to sell your soul, it is what makes you human until the very end when the Boatman takes you for one last journey.

The ‘you’ that exists outside your body and without your soul is a mystery - but it may be connected to the reason why most cannot go to the surface after having died once before in the Neath.

Something down here is keeping us here…

Regarding the nature of self and its connection to the soul, certain other fate-locked content would seem to suggest that one of the soulless can be restored to their former self, or at least to something nigh-indistinguishable from it, by cramming some random soul that is almost certainly not their own back into them. Perhaps a soul is more a form of energy than of identity?

Perhaps the placebo effect is stronger than we could ever have imagined.

[li]
which one? because the quest to return your own soul to you suggest you do need your own soul back, and no one else will do. The same is true for a special value of Opening A Bundle Of Oddities - it is your own soul which is delivered to you, not some random replacement

It’s the Shepherd end of the Regretful Soldier storyline.

huh, I’m a shepherd of souls, but that storyline was ages ago, I don’t remember what the ending to it was.

[quote=IHNIWTR]
which one? because the quest to return your own soul to you suggest you do need your own soul back, and no one else will do. The same is true for a special value of Opening A Bundle Of Oddities - it is your own soul which is delivered to you, not some random replacement[/quote]

That could be just something to do with your infernal contract (you want that to end too, and it won’t end if your soul is still in possesion of somebody else?). Or the nature of the deal you get for getting your soul back through that storyline (&quotGo on then. Mrs Plenty says if yer finds it, yer welcome to it.&quot - lightly implying that you are not welcome to grab just any soul, only the one that formerly belonged to you).

Coats are also interchangeable, but I would rather have mine than somebody else’s, if I can tell.

It is also said, that the reservoirs are emptied every year (presumably at Christmas?). And we don’t see mass disappearances every year.

[spoiler]It was previously mentioned, that love stories are getting worse in quantity and quality and moving the city would help with that. How all this is tied into with the mass extinction event is not entirely clear.

Why does the Bazaar need Lacre in the first place? The Master’s are interested in love stories to help alleviate whatever is ailing their employer and/or Bazaar. Or maybe to slightly appease Mr.Eaten, who would like his accounting to be done and over, thank you very much.
Lacre is sorrow. Sorrow that in enough quantities will destroy a soul. Love stories either help deal with it, or this sorrow is a byproduct of them. But why would the Master’s need full reservoirs of Lacre? Full and not empty? Wouldn’t you like to get read of it, not have more? It all looks strangely backwards to me.[/spoiler]

edit: Eh, how do I make a spoiler? Never done them. Do I need a spoiler for what I wrote? It IS mostly speculative.
edit2: Aha, I see. I was trying to do <spoiler></spoiler>
edited by Fhoenix on 12/2/2013
edited by Fhoenix on 12/2/2013