Knife and Candle Etiquette

A few questions for more experienced players of that diverting game of illumination and sharpness: How do you keep yourself in a constant series of duels without being gauche? Is it acceptable to send out multiple challenges and see who responds first? Should one withdraw any outstanding challenges upon entering a duel? I ask because I’d like to step up the frequency of duels so that I can obtain some awards and the Sharp Iron Key in this lifetime, but on one occasion I found myself in two duels at once due to accepting a challenge while having an outstanding challenge that was subsequently accepted, and the whole incident was rather awkward.
edited by Kaigen on 12/21/2015

Sending multiple duel invites at a time is inadvisable. Well, I don’t know if this ever got patched, but there was a big problem in the past where you could find that more than one duel got accepted at a time and it really broke things. Like you make your moves to the end stage with one opponent and then stab the other one using your advanced stats before they ever got a chance to make a move.

Maybe this has been fixed over the years, I can’t say. I know it was a hot mess though in the past for sure.

If you are looking for real time mass scale player coordination, my recommendations are: 1. Set up a tournament, like a proper tournament with its own thread here on the forums. Do it like one of my posts where you explain in great detail how everything will work. If there is interest, like minded individuals are sure to be drawn to a well organized and time limited event such as a tournament matrix sign up sheet. 2. Try visit the fan run IRC. There’s almost always like 30 people in there ready to chat and be of assistance. Some may want to duel even. It does get a bit quiet in the dead of night though.

It is very recently patched, I think, since invitation is like patronage-lessons now. (And that’s after a very recent mess like you described - a textbook example of multiduel.)

But being in multiple duels is a very bad thing, since it is both confusing and inevitably place someone in an unfair disadvantage.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 12/21/2015

Hmm, a tournament is a good idea; I’d just need to come up with a format that mitigates challenger disadvantage without getting unacceptably delayed by the 24 hour wait period on dueling the same opponent.

Everyone on the left hand bracket attacks on odd numbered rounds and everyone on the right side of the bracket attacks on even rounds. Or top vs bottom if it’s a horizontal bracket chart.
edited by NiteBrite on 12/21/2015

Live stream the tournament!

Given the heavy impact of luck on K&C duels, I thought a round-robin tournament would be more appropriate, perhaps making two “circuits” with challenger and challenged flipped on the second go around. It’d be difficult to accommodate a large number of players in a reasonable span of time with that format, though. I suppose a Swiss tournament could work in the event there’s a massive outpouring of interest.

Round-robin?
Swiss tournament?
Circuits?

…Ah?

Round robin is a format where everyone plays everyone else once. My thought is that you would play through the whole rotation twice (each time being a “circuit”) in order to balance challenging vs. being challenged.

Swiss format is similar, but after the first round, matchups are made based on players’ records while avoiding having anyone play the same player twice. So all the winners of round 1 are paired off for round 2 and everyone who lost their match is likewise paired off. Then on round 3 you pair off everyone who’s 2-0, 1-1, and 0-2, and so on and so forth.

Swiss is certainly interesting, but would definitely require someone to run and post standings/pairings.

Thank you, Kaigen

Okay, with the holidays and all, I don’t think I’m going to be able to organize a tournament for a couple of weeks at least, but I would like to do a small test run to see what a reasonable amount of time for a group of focused players to finish a series of duels is.

With that in mind, if there are three Moon League-ready volunteers who can be active starting at 14:00 UTC tomorrow (and/or the day after) and potentially paying fairly close attention to their messages for up to three hours. Let me know and I’ll set up a mini tourney.

ETA: I’ve got one volunteer, and if need be I can insert my alt to make up the shortfall, but I need at least one more person.
edited by Kaigen on 12/23/2015

I’m down with this Kaigen!

Orrrr is it too late?
edited by Cecil on 12/25/2015

It’s too late for the original time, and I’m going to be on the road for the next few days, but if you’re game, we might be able to set up something for next week.
edited by Kaigen on 12/25/2015

I’m game to get my limbs handed to me, yes.

This sounds fun!

Managed to run a trial tournament this evening. Things were delayed a little bit here and there, but we still managed to get three duels done inside of four hours.

The standings, for those curious:

Charlotte de Witte: 2-1
Kaigen: 2-1
Cecil: 1-2
John Savage: 1-2

[quote=Kaigen]Managed to run a trial tournament this evening. Things were delayed a little bit here and there, but we still managed to get three duels done inside of four hours.

John Savage: 1-2[/quote]

I imagine Savage is a very predictable opponent, based on his name. Is that the case?

Actually, the RNG gave me mad hate on one match… but I expected that… ;)

[quote=Lisbella Peridot][quote=Kaigen]Managed to run a trial tournament this evening. Things were delayed a little bit here and there, but we still managed to get three duels done inside of four hours.

John Savage: 1-2[/quote]

I imagine Savage is a very predictable opponent, based on his name. Is that the case?[/quote]

From what I understand, there was more than one upset caused by the capricious RNG.