Knife and Candle: A Distinguished Council.

So, K&C is rather out of the way, rewards light content, so I and a few others were curious about those of us dedicated enough to reach the higher tiers of the game. That and the spread across the three orders of course. So! For that purpose I’ll be tallying here the players who have reached each distinction of the orders. So drop a response if your character has reached beyond the Wistful Rose, and we’ll have a looksee who has reached the pinnacle of the game! (Just your highest distinction is fine, make sure to include your FL character name!)

VESPERTINE:

Perilous;

Luke McMillan

Merciless;

Monstrous;

Irresistible;

Alice Darkmoor (deadcrystal)

SERPENTINE:

Melancholy;

Sorrowful;

Lachrymose;

Silent;

Sarah Sahara
Roland Banning (Zack Oak)
Nitebrite
Moomin (babelfishwars)?

OVATE:

Night;

Black Alice

Blood;

Ice;

Glory;

J.L. Moriarty
Streetfelineblue
edited by deadcrystal on 9/23/2014

Not I. Went up a couple of levels in the Wistful Rose, but then acquired my Waxwail Knife and felt that withdrawing from the jollity was the better part of valour. My streak of victories is currently 6, so I have occasionally been tempted to try to drop back in, grab a moon token and a further win, and acquire the K&C lodging, but it’s never been sufficiently important…

I wouldn’t say rewards light- the Waxwail Knife is one of the most powerful weapons available, presumably anywhere in the neath. And for those who played the Lilac content, the legendary forbidden play, the Seventh Letter, is retold in the upper echelons of the Order Ovate, through the medallions.

After months of stabbing my friends, loved ones, and neighbors, J. L. Moriarty finally reached the Order Ovate, in the Distinction of Glory (that’s the top for now). He’s also sponsored by February, although that didn’t stop her from trying to murder him repeatedly in the quarter. I have 12 tokens right now, but I’m putting the token hunt on hold whilst Moriarty nurses a laudanum addiction and is grinding up &quotThe Boatman’s Opponent&quot. I’m gonna try and see if there’s anything past &quotA Monochromatic Myrmidon.&quot Although it would be easier if there were items which added +1 wounds…
edited by friendshipranger on 3/11/2014

This topic certainly isn’t a ruse to expose which forms people prefer under the guise of providing bragging rights, I’m sure.

That said, my glimmering golden medal is that of the Serpentine Order, Silent Rank.
Edit: On my main, Sarah Sahara.
edited by Saharan on 3/11/2014

My alt Luke McMillan plays K&C occasionally - he was always distracted somehow to pursue it more regularly. Anyway he has a medal that states he’s of the Vespertine order, Perilous.

You know, when I started K&C quite some time ago, I wondered if I even had a chance to get to the higher distinctions, especially as my first brush with it was nothing short of disastrous XD

I have all four of my medals and 9 Assassin of Assassins. Haven’t collected any more of those for a while.

K&C, for the time invested, is rewards lite, particularly when it comes to the distinctions, which while very intersting lore wise, don’t do very much. And I’m not saying it should be otherwise! I love K&C to bits! But the low rate of returns from actions to resources means that only a low proportion of players ever bother with it. Which, again, I am not saying is necessarily a bad thing, it’s a very flavourful activity![li]
edited by deadcrystal on 3/11/2014

Well, part of why I haven’t done any exploration of Knife and Candlework s that it’s apparently heavily luck-driven for success (which sounds rather frustrating,) PVP (which often brings out the worst in people,) and seems a bit at odds to what’s otherwise a fairly relaxed text adventure. Plus I’ve plenty of things yet to explore, so random visits to the Boatman seems…wasteful…

If I’m mistaken is these opinions, I’d love to hear more information on the matter.

[quote=Mordaine Barimen]Well, part of why I haven’t done any exploration of Knife and Candlework s that it’s apparently heavily luck-driven for success (which sounds rather frustrating,) PVP (which often brings out the worst in people,) and seems a bit at odds to what’s otherwise a fairly relaxed text adventure. Plus I’ve plenty of things yet to explore, so random visits to the Boatman seems…wasteful…

If I’m mistaken is these opinions, I’d love to hear more information on the matter.[/quote]

You still get a dangerous bump and a reward on losing, so it’s kinda a win:win game. Kinda.
I don’t think I’ve ever died as a result of it. Did lose a few items to an elusive victory once, but hey.

It’s VERY relaxed PvP, and while I acknowledge I’m lucky, I’ve not met anyone who has not been entirely lovely on winning or losing.
edited by babelfishwars on 3/11/2014

There’s a known psychological bias that means it’s harder emotionally to lose stuff. So that made the Iron League, with the constant threat of losing your fancy stuff to an elusive attack, too stressful for me; and the fact that the Moon League still relied so much on luck took the fun out of strategy (not my strong point to begin with).

I actually like the luck factor, though it often played against me; it allows victors to stay humble and losers to feel… Not so bad. Knife and Candle was frustrating at times, but never so much that I didn’t come back with a different strategy ^^

Also the players have been very polite (to me, at least), so the PvP factor isn’t a bother either. If anything, it adds flavour to victories.

frankly i only care about the prize tokens. and… im still hoping someone would be careless enough to expose his/her mirrorsnatch box.

If I find one, I swear I’m dropping out of the league for good. Damn, those are so cool.

Dropping out of the League if you snag a Mirrorbox is a pretty bad idea; you can still get Mirrorsnatched if you’re not a participant, and if you have no Form then you’re nearly defenceless.

Oh geez, same. I looked at my first set of horrible losses and decided &quotnot even a little worth it.&quot I am very glad that I reconsidered. Ironically enough, getting access to the half-abandoned mansion was more frustrating than getting to the highest distinction of Order Serpentine. But in the end, totally worth it. It’s arguably the most echo-profitable lodging (5 echo profit! 5!) and makes for a great achievement. And it helped me get to the higher distinctions!
[li]

[quote=Spacemarine9]Dropping out of the League if you snag a Mirrorbox is a pretty bad idea; you can still get Mirrorsnatched if you’re not a participant, and if you have no Form then you’re nearly defenceless.[/quote]So what you’re really saying is that it’s best to have a secret alt ready to snatch that mirrorbox from the main character? :/:

Whereupon dropping out of the League becomes a moot point.

[quote=Zack Oak]Oh geez, same. I looked at my first set of horrible losses and decided &quotnot even a little worth it.&quot I am very glad that I reconsidered. Ironically enough, getting access to the half-abandoned mansion was more frustrating than getting to the highest distinction of Order Serpentine. But in the end, totally worth it. It’s arguably the most echo-profitable lodging (5 echo profit! 5!) and makes for a great achievement. And it helped me get to the higher distinctions!
[li][/quote]

Don’t tell anyone in-character, but the very first time I was actually kicked out for lack of Iron Tokens T.T

The Listing Tower was actually quite merciful with me - I got it on the second try, though mostly because I misclicked and attacked the last target twice. Interesting enough, when later I was rebuilding my Parade of Victories, my first attack (to the next contact on the list) was a failure, so if I hadn’t misclicked I could have lost at 6x Parade… A close call ^^

One thing I always wondered - shouldn’t the Listing Tower provide a Knife-and-Candle opening as well? I know policy is only for the higher level Lodgings to provide openings, but come on, it’s THE Knife-and-Candle Lodging! If you play the scraps option you find out that it’s chock full of people using it for ambushes, meaning that basically everyone can use it as a dueling ground except for the player character, the rightful owner XD

[quote=Gillsing][quote=Spacemarine9]Dropping out of the League if you snag a Mirrorbox is a pretty bad idea; you can still get Mirrorsnatched if you’re not a participant, and if you have no Form then you’re nearly defenceless.[/quote]So what you’re really saying is that it’s best to have a secret alt ready to snatch that mirrorbox from the main character? :/:

Whereupon dropping out of the League becomes a moot point.[/quote]

Either that, or going to zee and never coming back. Or even better, give it to an alt and then send IT at zee, so that even if he’s discovered he stays untargettable. Me, I’m happier without a Mirrorcatch Box altogether, especially because it was originally obtainable solving a riddle and I would find it very unfair to snatch it when I couldn’t solve the riddle in the first place. That’s the main reason I chose the Ovate Order - highest medal+ring give a total of +6 Baroque, not as much as a +10 but I can settle with that ^^

[li]

Wow, I didn’t know that, spacemarine9. Thanks for the tip. :)[/li][li]
[/li]