I've had a horrible thought about the Masters...

There are seekers for the name… and rumors that he’d been known by other names in some retired content.

The prices, the costs, are franky insane.

Bit as I said, I had a horrible thought… what if all of the masters names where that jealously guarded, that well hidden, and that costly to learn?

What if the search for ‘the name’ was the least guarded, the most accessible?

Indeed a scary thought. We do know that the Masters had different names in the other cities, what their original names were we do not know.

These two tweets by Mr Wines makes me think that they didn’t have any names originally, and the sort of names they have now are keeping them bound to the Bazaar. I could be wrong, of course, but that’s the impression I get.

All the more the bitter the seekers lives left to them, if they where to discover that he never had a name of his own, only names he took unto himself.

Though there is supposedly a hint or two that one could raise themselves to join the masters as one of them. Even if you left all name behind, to remove the power it has over you, it still existed.

Perhaps that there is a name for the seekers, is a sign that Eaten is one who joined, instead of one who started.

It’s a bit strange to me to try to get that thought to fit though, that some masters are … I hesitate.

There was a very early storylet in the seeking the name storyline where you find an inscription with mr eaten’s name scratched out in the correspondance (like before it starts being actually super punishing), so it’s pretty clear he has a name and it’s in the correspondance. Presumably the other masters would as well, and I’d suspect they’d only be as hard to learn as any correspondance sigil, since they only did what they did to mr eaten to mr eaten.

I think the Mr. X names are more titles really.
edited by WormApotheote on 9/29/2014

This correspondence name may be the name that ties them contractually to the Bazaar. The correspondence is the language of the stars, after all. And though the Bazaar itself is lower on the chain than a judgement, it would make sense to use that language.

Well considering the bazaar has like, correspondance tattoos it’s pretty clear that the correspondance is the language it uses.

But maybe the bazaar is like an idiot teenager that gets a Chinese symbol tattooed on it while on its gap year? And they think the symbol means &quotstrength&quot or &quottruth&quot or something like that, but actually it means &quotleprous&quot. Did you consider that?

[li]

As utterly hilarious as that image is, that would make the Bazaar a terrible courier.

Well, it’s been sitting down in the basement like a lump for all these years, it’s not exactly doing a good job of it right now, now is it?

Wait. Are we saying that the grand and mysterious Bazaar, with all its secrets and strange desires, with its otherworldly attendants and city-stealing plots, is actually more akin to an unemployed twenty-something moping about their parents’ basement crying over the fact they were dumped by a high school sweetheart and reading through old love letters in an attempt to find good arguments to get back together?

…Wow. I just realized you really take the poignancy out of the storyline when you phrase it like that…

When phrased like that, Fallen London is a Space Opera–the kind with an abundance of soap.

edited by dismallyOriented on 10/1/2014

[quote=The Dark Gentleman]Wait. Are we saying that the grand and mysterious Bazaar, with all its secrets and strange desires, with its otherworldly attendants and city-stealing plots, is actually more akin to an unemployed twenty-something moping about their parents’ basement crying over the fact they were dumped by a high school sweetheart and reading through old love letters in an attempt to find good arguments to get back together?

…Wow. I just realized you really take the poignancy out of the storyline when you phrase it like that…[/quote]

Well the bazaar has a granddaughter so it can’t be metaphorically that young.

I think the bazaar is more a 40 something cat lady, only with bats instead.

If one of the dreams, is the same dream as the masters have, then it’s a contagious memetic?

(Like SCP)