Item Uses

My goodness, more and more items keep getting new uses that can be accessed by clicking them in your inventory. So far it seems like the general pattern is each item being traded (in large quantities) for a few of a higher-level item which can in turn be traded for an even higher rarity item, like Primordial Shrieks for [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Maniac’s Prayers, Prayers for Correspondence Plaques, Plaques for Aeolian Screams, and Screams for Storm-Threnodies.[/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][/spoiler]

Several of the highest-tier items seem to be able to be cashed in for the same components gained through the Bazaar Sidestreets. I’ve seen an option for Favors in High Places, Collated Research, and Bazaar Permits so far, and there’s certainly more. I’m currently working on amassing at least a small number of everything (just finished cashing in for some Touching Love Stories), but I was curious as to if anyone else has been experimenting with this stuff. It’s worth noting that the whole thing seems to still be an ongoing process; every few days I notice more options on my inventory screen.
[/color]

Yes, and I also noticed - if I’m not mistaken - new categories popping up lately. Like Academic, Cartography, Nostalgia… No Luminosity anymore? At least, Foxfire Candle Stubs are now Academic.

I’ve noticed this as well, and have been absolutely gleeful about it. I will be experimenting and keeping track, but for now will not post my findings.

Phosphorescent Scarabs still show up in a Luminosity category, as does Lamplighter Beeswax. Though only the masters know how long that will remain so.

Abraham Bounty slips into a cheap Madam Shoshana outfit and draws a card

Ah yes, the fruit bat. I predict that there will soon be an Entomology category for the Phosphorescent Scarabs and other creepy crawlies of the neath. And now, if you will pardon me, my dears.

Madam Shoshana slips into a cheap Abraham Bounty suit

And while I would love to start collecting large amounts of random things to trade in the name of SCIENCE, there are far too many useful things in the bazaar for me at the moment, so I will most likely be converting most of my inventory into Echos once they reach a sufficient critical mass.
edited by Abraham Bounty on 1/14/2012

Well, there’s always the old tactic - if you need to buy something, choose the storylet that gives you tthe more profitable result per action, and grind it until you can afford the object. NEVER sell anything else. It should do ^^

So, I’ve been poking around the new content a little, recording my results. At least with turning jade fragments into relics of the third city, and relics of the third city into tales of the elder continent (My tomb colonies connection dropped too low to make enough mysteries for the next step), a failure results in getting an equal exchange, while a success gives the exact same result, plus a small bonus. In the case of 100 jade for 10 relics, my bonus was 30 lamplighter beeswax (30 pence increase essentially), and in converting 50 relics into 10 tales of the elder continent, I obtained 20 cryptic clues (40 pence value).

It is my guess that the additional value for success goes up as you go along the chain. By the way, mysteries of the elder continent turn into presbyterate passphrases.

Indeed. And Passphrases turn into Antique Mysteries. Currently trying to get some of those so I can see what they turn into.

At this writing, Whispered Secrets have the same effect as they ever had when you click on them while both Cryptic Clues and Appalling Secrets have been upgraded. However, I expect that to chance by the time I hit add message.

Oh my. Apparently there’s a Rare Success with Third City Relics that gives five London Street Signs in addition to the standard Mysteries of the Elder Continent. And a rare success with Prisoner’s Honey that gives a Stolen Kiss.

Turning fifty Inklings of Identity into ten tidbits of Incendiary Gossip can give you forty Whispered Secrets should you succeed in a luck test (admittedly, the odds are pretty good). While not the most profitable or consistent way of obtaining one-penny whispers, it is certainly more expedient than waiting and hoping for a relevant opportunity card, as I had been reduced to prior.

If you’re suitably Dangerous and Shadowy, you could always grind amber at Mahogany Hall and trade it for secrets with the Tiger Keeper. That route is very profitable.

And involves burning down half of London in the process. Which is why Yana earned their Bazaar Premises working at the second coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers instead.

And involves burning down half of London in the process. Which is why Yana earned their Bazaar Premises working at the second coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers instead.[/quote]

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

And involves burning down half of London in the process. Which is why Yana earned their Bazaar Premises working at the second coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers instead.[/quote]

You say that like it’s a bad thing.[/quote]

An Achievement! You are now The Joker. Vake beware! XD