Interested in spending my 58 fate.

There are many fate locked stories i’d like to try but I can only afford a couple right now, which would you recommend I purchase with my 58 fate?

Haunting at the marsh house (45)
Cut with moonlight (45)
The art of murder (45)
The gift (30)
Secrets framed in gold (22) -Unless it’s worth going to jail again to save 3 fate
The velocipede squad extension (20)
A temple of the uttermost wind (7)
A gallery of serpents (7)

or is there another you’d recommend?
I’ve already completed the soul trade and flute street- and I do have access to the house of chimes.

Lost in reflections is considered one of the best ES, so probably that or the gift.

You can probably rule out the bottom three, as the best part is the monetary rewards/items.

Edit: I am way too behind on sleep and wrote down the wrong ES. My bad.
edited by suinicide on 7/31/2016

Lost in Reflections is one of the best ES’s around, and covers quite a variety of important lore themes. It also can add a unique quality, separate from the usual ES progress one.

The Waltz That Moved The World is another one that I would personally recommend, but it is a very personal story and included one of the harder decisions of the game for me. Also, it may or may not contain an entertaining Great Game-themed twists to one of it’s main characters.

Also, on SFiG. I’d recommend holding off on it and instead 1) Getting the forger the non-fate way and 2) Experiencing him in Flint or through the ‘A visit’ card. It is a very… peculiar story, and requires you to not have gleaned any significant info about it. Also includes hard choices.
edited by Vavakx Nonexus on 7/31/2016

SFIG I have heard amazing things about.

I would recommend not going for Exceptional Stories if you have other Fate-locked stories yet to do. The ES tend to be more expensive so you could get two stories for the price of one. For example Flute Street and Theological Husbandry are both excellent stories, tie together, and cost 25 Fate each. (Plus those two together lets you get the best BDR companion in the game.)

Flute Street was nice and Theological Husbandry is alright so far, seems the latter is really just better for mechanical benefits.

The Gift wasnt bad, but felt underwhelming to me. Still it’s well talked of. Same with SFiG; nice but felt like I was missing something.

Honestly, besides Flint, most of my recommendations have been more recent Exceptional Stories. Loved this month’s, for when that’s available to non Exceptional Friends, and really liked the Frequently Deceased which should be available now iirc. It doesn’t concern deeper lore but it’s very enjoyable.

Can’t speak on the velocipede squad or Lost in Reflections, but I’ll be playing both in time and the former has a great item from what I’ve heard while the latter you can see praise for already.
edited by Cthonius on 7/31/2016

Theological Husbandry includes the Bound in Diocesan Intrigue storyline, started with a card unlocked by the Obdurate Stallion. It also unlocks an exclusive Destiny.

Also, the silly 3 Fate for Shroom hoping is at least fun.

I’ve 50 Fate left myself after spending on Flute Street and Theological Husbandry, which have definitely been enjoyable.

Ohh, you’re fate-enabled finally! Congratulations.

[quote=suinicide] I am way too behind on sleep and wrote down the wrong ES. My bad.
edited by suinicide on 7/31/2016[/quote]

That’s fine, i’m biding my time while waiting for recommendations. Many seem like preference in subject but i’ll have to try Lost in Reflections sometime. Like Optimatum mentioned it would probably be better not pay for exceptional stories until i’ve completed the standard ones. From the two stories i’ve played since being an exceptional member, the exceptional stories seem a bit over priced for their length, that’s why I wanted some input from other’s who’ve tried them.

I’ve never been congratulated on purchasing an in-game currency before.

That’s intentionally the case for past Exceptional Stories. They’re available if people want them, but at a higher price and without the EF benefits to encourage subscribing instead.

If you’re willing to pay, in my opinion, Flint is the best paid story here. It costs a lot, but it is truly exceptional, and gets you a neat little side area you can go to. Granted I like it a lot because the Elder Continent is my favorite place in FL Lore and you get to go on a little adventure through it. SFiG is hyped but be ready to make some seriously mean choices to get through the whole thing. If you make ‘rp’ influenced choices, fancy the Forger or just don’t want to be exceptionally not nice then I wouldn’t recommend going through it all. Lost in Reflections is probably the only ES i’d consider picking up or that one about the deviless and the salon, but thats just me.[li]

[quote=Vavakx Nonexus]
Also, on SFiG. I’d recommend holding off on it and instead 1) Getting the forger the non-fate way and 2) Experiencing him in Flint or through the ‘A visit’ card. It is a very… peculiar story, and requires you to not have gleaned any significant info about it. Also includes hard choices.[/quote]
SFiG will be my next story, got the basic idea of either letting go or pushing to far, but what’s with Flint? IS SFiG connected with Flint or the other way around? If there are to much spoilers to post, a PM would be nice!

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=Vavakx Nonexus]
Also, on SFiG. I’d recommend holding off on it and instead 1) Getting the forger the non-fate way and 2) Experiencing him in Flint or through the ‘A visit’ card. It is a very… peculiar story, and requires you to not have gleaned any significant info about it. Also includes hard choices.[/quote]
SFiG will be my next story, got the basic idea of either letting go or pushing to far, but what’s with Flint? IS SFiG connected with Flint or the other way around? If there are to much spoilers to post, a PM would be nice![/quote]

Flint contains some extra content about the Forger if you pick him as your deputy. Nothing major, but I wanted to mention it as it gives him his character development.

Also, about Flint. Not a fan of it. The story itself was… shoddy at best. It’s basically a lorefest of chasing after a MacGuffin into the Elder Continent, but, I admit, the Elder Continent does not interest me, and your experiences may differ. But I feel like it is necessary to mention instead of just saying ‘best paid story’.

(In retrospect, I should go and edit my Lost In Reflection commentary.)

Of the things I’ve spent fate on, Flint was my favorite. Limiting it to less than 58 fate, my favorite becomes Flute Street. Combining Flute Street with Theological Husbandry makes a +4 BDR pet possible, if that’s a consideration.
edited by PJ on 8/1/2016

I appreciate the information and opinions, it’s hard to get objective suggestions on subjective content so it comes down to personal preference in subject matter. I’ve explored every story I could find and came about owning the pleasure yacht and a spire at the bazaar via careful planning and non-fate options, I love Fallen London and wanted to experience more so I finally bought some fate and tried the most highly acclaimed stories and was not disappointed. All that being said, I still have my reservations on paying 25$ to unlock what amounts to a well written short book (flint). I might try it some day when I can afford it with peace of mind. I think i’ll stay an Exceptional friend and try The Gift and Theological Husbandry or Secrets Framed in Gold then save the rest of my fate.

Good day!
edited by Mr. Zone on 8/1/2016