In Red, Underlined: OOC Discussion

Nikki is a go! I’m loving everyone so far. <3 Lovely writing. This is gonna be a blast!

Poor Lee, having the same kind of night Caroline was.

And we’re good to go. Apologies for the slightly brighter than usual white text, it wasn’t co-operating when I tried to copy it out of my word document.

I’m loving all the intros so far!

The peek at Anactoria is fascinating, and I am so curious what the urchin was going to say about her brother. I can’t wait to get to know her better.

Viric gathering information on Jen and being the one to approach her – now that’s something I never expected to see! And I mean that in a good way – it adds a fun twist to the intro.

Lady Karnstein gives me absolute chills – never mind the mesmerising whatever she does, that throwing a guy into the wall was terrifying, although he totally deserved it – and that’s awesome.

Lee is reckless and adorable and I loved the way the whole thing with the Snuffer played out. On a side note, can I say I adore the diversity in this group? Jen’s somewhere between bi and heteroflexible, and I am so here for more LGBTQ+ rep!

Nikki’s shenanigans are cute! And I love her casual attitude to meeting the Boatman. To have her attempt go so completely off the rails is utterly unexpected, but the twist and the failure works.

Hubris is awesome, and he totally reminds me of the Black Butler manga. Unflappable, polite, magnanimous enough to cook for a widow who can’t pay him but also apparently a hired killer? No wonder Jen would hire him again.

Canvas is so different from the film noir detective I initially imagined when I read his bio. That stunt with the irrigo was sheer awesomeness, and I can’t wait to see what other tricks he has up his sleeve!

If it’s okay with you guys, once all the intros are up, I’ll post a scene at Jen’s house where she presents her plan? I am so hyped for the rest of the RP!

Incidentally – any Harry Potter fans here? I’m surprised nobody seems to have noticed my references!
edited by Lady Jen Black on 12/28/2017

Sisters in adversity! Well, Lee is a lot less likely to get satisfaction tonight, but at least she actually enjoys beating up jealous boyfriends.

BTW, my main has a suite at the Royal Bethlehem, but it’s much more ordinary. I love what you’ve done with the place!

More good stuff! Nikki is a blast as always, with lots of great Urchins details. Hubris is delightful! And Lee appreciates a good butler. And Canvas seems to have hard luck too. I’m not so sure that he doesn’t fit the noir detective trope. We’ll see!

Lady Jen- She can’t really, like, mind control; more facination and charm. I figure that is superhuman Persuade. It is really really fun to write though. Thanks for the praise for the writing. Next scene sounds good. Will keep an eye out.

AE: There is a little flavortext implying it is dreamlike. I run with it because it is something I enjoy envisioning and describing. And suits Caroline well. And it suits FL tone for it to try to stop her from leaving sometimes.

Thanks for the feedback on my writing. fun and valuble for improving my craft.
edited by Lady Karnstein on 12/28/2017

I’m sympathetic to the view that disparaging Locke is a stabbing offense.

Oh good! He’s one of my favourite political philosophers. Sorry about the paragraphing. I typed it in Google docs with indentations rather than line spacing, which didn’t transfer onto the forum properly.

( Hello, just popping in here to let you know that at least a few of us from the #Argo IRC roleplay channel are following this story. Now I’ve just read all the intros posted so far and must say, what a delightful gathering of well-developed and well-written characters we have here! I especially liked Telemachia and Nikki, also that very efficient butler - great idea for a character! Can’t wait to see the capers you folks will get up to! :) )

This made me hyperventilate with excitement. Thank you for your interest, and I hope we provide you with a memorable and entertaining story!

And please, feel free to pop in and chat with us! I personally would be thankful for the chance to hear the wisdom of more experienced RPers and GMs!

I don’t entirely understand the whole Locke or Lord Byron thing – not much for philosophy or poetry myself – but that was a cool intro! I now need to go reread Othello so I can figure out what the references meant :P

Aaah! Compliments from Phryne? I’m bright red.

I liked that butler too, actually. waves to the folk from #Argo

I read HP, and I had a good chuckle over Sirius, the Potters, and various details. I also noticed a hint of Sherlock in there, too, which I thought particularly clever.

Lia, I actually intended to have her succeed…but it felt a little lame, so then I went &quotNow what would make this more Nikki?&quot and she promptly suggested that shattering a gorgeous window would fit the bill perfectly. And so it did! ^.^
edited by shylarah on 12/28/2017

Thank you! You’ll learn more about Jen’s past, including why everyone seems to think that she’s Sirius’ daughter rather than a Potter, and how her parents’ deaths work into this continuity. I totally subscribe to the &quotJames Potter is Indian&quot headcanon, being a PoC myself!

I was trying to figure out a way for Jen to plausibly consider murdering the creep – lecherous old fetishizer – without being caught, since stabbing or strangling him is totally unsubtle. Then I remembered the episode and how a murder could be committed but the death only occur much, much later. I’m so glad you caught the Sherlock reference!!

It was a really cool and unexpected twist! For the character to be better showcased by failure… that’s definitely something. I loved your scene!
edited by Lady Jen Black on 12/28/2017

That was about how I read it. &quotFascination&quot in the strong sense of the word. It seemed like a combination of the ability to inspire instantaneous crushes; the ability to sense them when they happen; and the ability to capitalize on them. But with maybe just a touch of supernatural mojo.

The way that stat overcapping is described does encourage you to come up with a RP concept for it. Tanith’s Legendary Charisma, for instance, works very differently - she doesn’t seem so much fascinating as just super trustworthy. But she has to work hard on actually being trustworthy, just as (I assume) Caroline works on being sexy.

[quote=Lady Jen Black]
Thank you! You’ll learn more about Jen’s past, including why everyone seems to think that she’s Sirius’ daughter rather than a Potter, and how her parents’ deaths work into this continuity. I totally subscribe to the &quotJames Potter is Indian&quot headcanon, being a PoC myself! [/quote]
Well, now I’m curious! I thought that the woman of color perspective was a really interesting aspect of the story.

I was super flattered that Phryne noticed us. Maybe this is what Nikki and Lee have in common. Failing our way into everyone’s hearts!

And for those who are less tech savvy than phryne and are still interested in chatting about Fallen London and potentially meeting other roleplayers/writers - here is a direct link to Fallen London IRC. You can find phryne, Drake Dynamo, JimmyTMalice and many more wonderfull folks there regularly. Just pick a nick and join the fun. We’re a very welcoming and friendly comunity and as long as you can be polite to other people and don’t come to pick a fight (and maybe check the Google-doc with prefered pronouns posted in Topic to avoid calling ladies &quotdude&quot) you’ll be fine.
edited by Tyr_Teg on 12/28/2017

Honestly, knowing more about Byron or Locke won’t add anything to the understanding of the passage. Throwing those names in there together wasn’t very elegant. I’m reading Othello right now, which is why I’ve managed to put those references in (even if I did misquote). Having fairly recently achieved POSI status, I thought ‘reputation’ would be a theme that would be pretty central to Cosmo’s focus right now.

But yeah, great writing so far peeps. Looking forward to the rest of it.

[I know from previous RPs how cool it is to hear that people are actually reading, so I’m here to echo Phryne’s thoughts - I just got caught up and now I’m very excited to see what will happen next! This is great stuff. Best of luck in your (mis)adventures and I shall be following along ~with interest~. Pretend I’m not here…]

We shall be watching your affairs with great interest.