impossible theorem: a descent into madness

In order to stave off boredom, I decided to search for the impossible theorem - and i find myself constantly teetering between an all consuming obsession and the need to be distracted by shiny beautiful things… for those who have succeeded, please advise me, encourage me, dissuade me or give me the faintest of hopes - how did you go about it? binging or slowly pecking away at the stone? and does anyone have any advice for searing enigmas outside of thefts of a particular character? i swear if i have to spend one more day in the flit i may run into the cave of the nadir never to return…
edited by harbourlady on 8/1/2016[li]
edited by harbourlady on 8/1/2016

I spent nearly two years in the flit grinding for them, I have 48 enigmas now. Then I learned I don’t even need the theorem, it’s only real use is to acquire better lodgings which you can do over Christmas in a much easier way- and the theorem isn’t even worth more than 49 searing enigmas, it’s worth around half that.

Fidgeting Writer is the way I get my Searing Enigmas, but that’s best fueled by something you do not wish to do. Thus, I suggest instead going into the Foreign Office and collecting Extraordinary Implications to convert into Uncanny Incunabula to feed into the University for the necessary Searing Enigmas.

Two years?! Holy crap dude :0

I just stole tons of tales of terror and converted up. Got super lucky with a few expeditions and also got maybe 6ish from my Christmas rat of glory. The whole thing took maybe a month? Oh, and don’t forget about the one you can get from using trade secrets.

As far as grinds go, it isn’t half as bad as the Overgoat ¯_(ツ)_/¯

[quote=maricolous]Two years?! Holy crap dude :0

I just stole tons of tales of terror and converted up. Got super lucky with a few expeditions and also got maybe 6ish from my Christmas rat of glory. The whole thing took maybe a month? Oh, and don’t forget about the one you can get from using trade secrets.

As far as grinds go, it isn’t half as bad as the Overgoat ¯_(ツ)_/¯[/quote]
I’m sure i’ve had 49 searing enigmas pass through my hands during year one, and i’ve had [regretably, had, not have] more than that now. If enigmas are as easy to get as airag, which seems very likely, then getting an impossible theorem should take no longer than a year- maybe even less.

As a Glassman I get weekly uncanny incanubulums, which helped. Still spent some time getting blown up in the chapel. But for the advancement of the study of Infernal Rarefactions, we do what we must. (Because we can.)

Yep. That’s the way to do it. Not unlike real life, having a ‘gang of hoodlums’ to assist you in stealing things is the way to go.

Turning incunabula(?) into enigmas is a pain though. 1-7 my arse. Getting 3 is good return.

I also used the Tales of Terror method, and it took me somewhere between one and two months. It certainly won’t take years if you dedicate your actions to it, and as a bonus it provides lots of Making Waves.

One thing I would advise you to do is not manufacture Searing Enigma’s peicemeal. Wait until you get one of the rare cards that give you a Strange Mood, and save it in your deck. Hoard extradionary implications, and try to get most of your Enigmas through other ways. Then, grab the Preternaturally Intent mood, trade all your Implications for Enigmas, and make an attempt at the Theorem in the same round of actions.

Higher watchful gives more Enigmas for your Implications, and you’ll need all the help you can get for the Theorem check, so it’s best to do both at once under the same Watchful Mood.

I’m almost certain that the Fidgeting Writer is substantially better than the Truthbreaker Turbine for getting Enigmas from scratch. If you already have the materials and are willing to lose, on average, over half their value then the Turbine is faster. But if you don’t have the items already, going through the Fidgeting Writer to the second to last step is much more efficient and makes a decent profit besides.

thank you all for your encouragement… i’m up to 30 searing enigmas, so the theorem is close…so close. I shall continue my thefts of tales of terror and instead of getting bogged down in the grind, I shall use it as the distraction between festivals… i hope to have my theorem by sackmas! I do love the suggestion of waiting for a strange mood to come upon me to help ensure success - I shall hoard my card when i find it!

If you’re willing to wait til Sackmas, get yourself a Horse Amulet from the Advent Calendar to prevent death if you fail. Or just scum it out with repeated Second chances and then backing out of the storylet if you fail. Hardly sporting but it is an option. I recently scooped up an Impossible Theorem. Took about 2 months with Exceptional friendship and no min-maxing.[li]

Horse Amulets can be acquired occasionally through expeditions as well; I forget whether Thieves’ Caches or Deep Blue Havens are better.

Thieves’ Caches are better as they only give the lower value rewards. You can get them in Deep Blue Heaven but the chances are a lot lower.

good tip - I have 2 amulets from previous sacks gifts… will that be sufficient or should I seek out more?