If you could go back to the surface...

Would you go back? There would be no usual penalties, it will be as if you never went to the Neath in a first place.

Perhaps… but there’s still so much left to learn down here!

My main character did plan on returning to the surface once their goal was finished in the Neath. Their aspirations are a little higher now, however.

I don’t know. Even if Pyro is cleansed of his Neathy-ness I’m pretty sure he’ll quickly go back to do doing something illegal in both the eyes of the Surface Society and that of the sun: Hunting and eating unearthly and impossible things.

Hah, not a chance! Far too many mysteries to be solved, and who would want to go back to a place where death means more than a leisurely game of chess with an old friend?

Excellent question :)

Very sorry, a few clarifications if I can ask? :)

Are you asking would someone go back to whatever their old surface life might have been permanently? Or do you just mean for a holiday?

Would they still remember the Neath, if it was as if they never came here? Or do you mean no penalties in terms only of dying up there?

Are you counting the High Wilderness as the surface? (But then I suppose I wouldn’t want things to be as if I never came to the Neath… humm… tricky…)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 1/29/2016

My main character came here for revenge, pure and simple. She could live permanently down here, but would prefer to see the sun again and live, if that’s still possible.

I would stay in the Neath, but travel out of London. Maybe live in the Elder Continent, at Port Carnelian.

[quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]Excellent question :)

Are you asking would someone go back to whatever their old surface life might have been permanently? Or do you just mean for a holiday?

Would they still remember the Neath, if it was as if they never came here? Or do you mean no penalties in terms only of dying up there?

Are you counting the High Wilderness as the surface? (But then I suppose I wouldn’t want things to be as if I never came to the Neath… humm… tricky…)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 1/29/2016[/quote]

Permanetly

You would still remember! And by no penalty I mean that the sun won’t try to kill you.

Sorry, but I never heard of the High wilderness in FL :(

roleplaying mode off

I was thinking of this question more realisticly, In the game, the lack of sun makes little difference for you, but imagine never seeing the sun again in real life, let’s not forget the dangers of the Neath, sure, death &quotusually&quot isn’t permanent, but the whole place is full of things that want to kill you, steal from you, etc. Im not saying it’s horrible down here, the secrets! Adventure! Uhh, I think this is all I have to say for now.

Ah thank-you! :)

In that case I’m definitely staying here. I’m happy to count myself as one of the budding dangers of the Neath. Rickets be d–ned!

[quote=The Master]

Permanetly

You would still remember! And by no penalty I mean that the sun won’t try to kill you.

roleplaying mode off

I was thinking of this question more realisticly, In the game, the lack of sun makes little difference for you, but imagine never seeing the sun again in real life, let’s not forget the dangers of the Neath, sure, death &quotusually&quot isn’t permanent, but the whole place is full of things that want to kill you, steal from you, etc. Im not saying it’s horrible down here, the secrets! Adventure! Uhh, I think this is all I have to say for now.[/quote]

It’s pretty damn hard to die in the Neath, assuming you don’t go to Zea.
Then again, there are more horrible fates than death in the Neath.

I descended with a purpose, one that has not been fulfilled.

i came to the neath for knowledge, a knowledge that has changed me, a knowledge so vast and that machine-thing in the south… you have to understand that such knowledge can make you aware of something you don’t want… what? o no, you live in the surface, it would drive you insane just one thing, at the night, when you look at the stars, do you think they’re beautiful? sooner or later you will not think so

[quote=The Master][quote=Charlotte_de_Witte]Excellent question :)

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 1/29/2016[/quote]

Permanetly

roleplaying mode off

I was thinking of this question more realisticly, In the game, the lack of sun makes little difference for you, but imagine never seeing the sun again in real life, let’s not forget the dangers of the Neath, sure, death &quotusually&quot isn’t permanent, but the whole place is full of things that want to kill you, steal from you, etc. Im not saying it’s horrible down here, the secrets! Adventure! Uhh, I think this is all I have to say for now.[/quote]
's safer than the surface. Yes, everything wants to kill you, but the reason people treat death as a minor thing is because it is minor, usually. Being dead is like having a bit of fever nowadays, in the 21st century. Permadeath is more common on the surface, unless you’re truly foolish, such as seeking the name, or being a zailor on the more dangerous paths.

Unless I have aquired true immortality, i’m not going to the surface.

Besides, who amoung us knows the truth of the stars and still would return? sure, the food is inferior, but in exchange you escape from the chain, which is worth far more to me.
edited by Grenem on 1/29/2016

I have gathered too many neath puns to be able to go back to the surface. Then what would I do with them?

[quote=Grenem]
Besides, who amoung us knows the truth of the stars and still would return? sure, the food is inferior, but in exchange you escape from the chain, which is worth far more to me.[/quote]

Is there specific information in Sunless Sea about souls that would make me care about my own’s fate post mortem? Death in the Neath isn’t any different for the soulless or the stained, so given what I know it doesn’t seem any worse than what happens to my body after I shed the mortal coil. If my soul isn’t me, the very same me who is in the afterlife for however long that lasts, then why would it matter?

Nah…While my character has come to accept that there is nothing for him down here, he also knows there is nothing for him on the surface either, and since that’s the case, why not take the lazy option and just stay put? Just the thought of rounding up all those animals and terrible people he lives with and dragging them all, plus a houseful of junk, to the surface makes him feel tired :P

If there were things to collect like lodgings and treasures then my character would depart in a heartbeat, and then return to the Neath at the hint of more collectables.