Idea for Marks of Credit

I have been pretty critical in the past of the only way to gain a Mark of Credit requiring a luck check. While I have no problem with this for, say, The Fidgeting Writer in which progress in made not with a stat but rather with the law of large numbers, I find it troublesome here. For one, a luck check at such a low number means that some, players will get the nessecary marks very quickly and some will get it very slowly.
More importantly it makes players and characters who aren’t gamblers be forced to take a risk they’ve no wish to take.

What I propose is that all content requiring a Mark of Credit be doubled. Instead of 3(or 5) for the Iron Republic, it takes 6(or 10.) The same for the Consonant Violin and the other options for Spending Secrets. Have there, then, be an option on the “Spending Secrets” card to either exchange all of your Loose Change and Counting the Days for either one Mark of Credit and another option which would give 2 Marks of Credit on a fortunate result and none on an unfortunate result as it is now.
The math would still favor those who take the “pretty good odds” but it would give others who are more risk averse an option to take the slower, steadier path which is guaranteed to succeed.
I’ve put this idea on the feedback forum [color=rgb(0, 0, 204)]here[/color]
Thoughts? Ideas?

I support this idea.

finally gets the ‘Spending Secrets’ card, fails luck check to gain a Mark

Yeah. I’ve got to agree. The luck checks for Fidgeting Writer can be frazzling (esp. if you don’t convert in bunches), but spending the however-many-actions to get up to Counting the Days 14 and then potentially wading through your deck for the Spending Secrets card? That’s the kind of grind Fallen London would do better to avoid.

I’d much rather it be made into a check against A Pocketful of Loose Change instead, so a failed attempt makes it more likely you’ll pass the next one.
edited by Patrick Reding on 5/4/2012

The other 2 ways the situation could be improved.

1. remove the whole counting the days reset from mark of credit acquisition period.Or just from failures that’s fair enough. 2 chances to grab a mark are decent.
  2. Keep things as is but add an option for a sure-fire mark for a higher pocketful fo change cost-so if you failed once and came back you are guaranteed a mark if you raised your CTD via pocketful-boosting means.

[quote=Patrick Reding]I’d much rather it be made into a check against A Pocketful of Loose Change instead, so a failed attempt makes it more likely you’ll pass the next one.
edited by Patrick Reding on 5/4/2012[/quote]

Also an exceptional idea.

hey i just noticed that it appears my idea was implemented0you can now 100% gain marks by using 7 levels of pocketfuls of change.