I know it's not the highest but I'm quite proud.

Been wanting to get it that high for ages. Who needs Austerity?

Also, now I’m scared of accidentally bringing it down somehow.
edited by Kylestien on 2/9/2018

Lovely, congratulations!
If you have a certain green friend you won’t have any problems, but fun! But you will lose some of it!
Noman and Clay Sedan’s option are the ones that you may overlook. Not sure why treating clay men properly makes you less hedonist.
edited by Skinnyman on 2/9/2018

[quote=Skinnyman]Lovely, congratulations!
If you have a certain green friend you won’t have any problems, but fun! But you will lose some of it!
Noman and Clay Sedan’s option are the ones that you may overlook. Not sure why treating clay men properly makes you less hedonist.
edited by Skinnyman on 2/9/2018[/quote]

What do you mean by a green friend and some fun? I’m curious and I don’t mind losing a little bit as long as I can keep it above 12 so it’s not a pain to get back/I can use Typewriter. If it’s a fatelocked thing though PM me.

[quote=Kylestien]What do you mean by a green friend and some fun? I’m curious and I don’t mind losing a little bit as long as I can keep it above 12 so it’s not a pain to get back/I can use Typewriter. If it’s a fatelocked thing though PM me.
edited by Kylestien on 2/9/2018[/quote]
I prefer this option! :D

I’m surprised and impressed: I thought 10 was the highest for the quirk qualities.

A lot of the connected items have a option between 12 and 14 to raise it. The PROBLEM is as you say barring some circumstances you can only get to 10. So you have to find a way to get to 12 before you can use them to get to 15, and if you go below 12 you got to put in all that effort again.

Nowadays, the &quotcap&quot is 15, although some old characters might have higher values from legacy content. However, raising Quirks to higher values becomes increasingly more difficult and less accessible. The major &quotbreakpoints&quot are 4, 8, 10, 12, and 15. Values of 4 and 8 are common from regular play. 10 for most quirks is generally accessible to POSI characters, although you may have to be particular about which opportunity cards you play.

The ways to raise Quirks up to 12 are so few and so treasured, that many high-level players can probably recite most of them from memory. The most accessible methods can be found on the Faction items that let you raise Renown, but without exception those raise one Quirk at the cost of another. Obtaining (and maintaining) values of 15 are considered end-game achievements.

Depending on the quirk, anyway. Working on even medium-level Renown for any given faction will max out the associated quirk almost before you realize it. This can make for complicated juggling if you’re trying to keep up opposed quirks for kicks, but if you’re only interested in the quirks that make sense RP-wise (and your character isn’t mildly schizophrenic), then it’s simplicity itself. I’ve got 15 in three quirks, 14 in one I don’t even want, and 13 in one that will be 15 once I do some work on my relatively abysmal Shadowy.

However, let me be quick to state that this does not apply to all quirks–and that, if I remember correctly, that includes Hedonist. So, getting to 15 Hedonist is a considerably more notable achievement than, say, 15 Subtle (one for which, Kylestein, you have my congratulations).

Getting Renown: Hell also gets you Hedonist.

I stand corrected.

You can also sell your Momento of Passion and repeat the Empress’ Court threesome as many times as you please to increase your Hedonist up to 15.

Can you do this even after being Restored the Empress’ Court? Uh…asking for a friend…

Yep!

I had never paid too much attention to this, but it turns out one of my characters (A Morel) has Hedonist at 15 and Heartless at 14 (I probably should use a Bright Brass Skull to make that 15 too). Not all that surprising, considering that he is very consistent in being a self-serving b*****d.

And another of my characters (my main, Manu Traveler) has Subtle at 15 and Steadfast at 12. Not bad.

It’s odd considering how difficult it is supposed to be, but I have got four quirks to 15 without evening trying to. It just happened naturally through play. The one that I’m actually trying to get to 15 (Hedonist) is still at 13. My chosen method is kissing heads of John the Baptist. I have a cupboard full of the things keeping me awake at night with their incessant muttering. The main reason I haven’t made it to 15 yet is that I have been too busy with other stuff to make all those trips to the tomb-colonies after word gets out about what I’ve been doing.

I got my hedonist to 15 a while back and it’s now roughly 14 and a half, since a few actions have accidentally lowered it and it’s a pain to get back up.

I figure 12+ is “good enough” for high end quirks since there are repeatable methods to get them back up which aren’t available at 11 or less.

I don’t know that it is supposed to be difficult, honestly. It’s a sign of a mature character, yes, and if you’re aiming for eccentricity (borrowing Gonen’s word), then it is indeed difficult to be Austere and Hedonist and Subtle and Forceful and Ruthless and Magnanimous all at once. However, if you are simply playing your character, then your choices will eventually be reflected in your quirks, including bringing some up to 15. Example: Prof. Kan is at 15 Subtle, 15 Steadfast, and 15 Magnanimous. This fits the character well, and he’s maintained it despite Society and Tomb Colony renown lowering Subtle and Magnanimous and boosting their opposites. Why? Because other renown sources were boosting them, while my regular gameplay choices were continually tearing down Heartless and Forceful. Where I don’t have regular choices tearing them down, even opposed quirks (such as his 13 Daring and 14 Melancholy) can get very high. Happening naturally through play is exactly the way I think the writers envisioned level 15 quirks occurring for most people.

Sorry, when I said it was supposed to be difficult I was using the phrase more colloquially, in the sense of &quoteveryone says it is difficult.&quot I wasn’t commenting on Failbetter’s design intentions.

I figured they wouldn’t get that high accidentally, as it were, if I wasn’t aiming for them; because I’d be constantly doing things that knocked them back down again. But I guess it simply turns out that my character really is very, very daring, magnanimous, steadfast and melancholy.

The favor to renown turnins give people a lot of quirks past 10. Apparently a lot of people in fallen london are hella steadfast.