I keep getting live rats in the mail

Well I’m not sure how much it will help, but in your profile page you can try posting in the They Say About Him something funny from said character followed by a &quotseriously though don’t be a jerk I’m a just a normal player who likes RP&quot type message in a () or something. Not sure how much it will help but I reckon it will cut down on Live Rats.

BTW, I wanted to get you a nice gift, but you are also Handsome Jack, so I sent you a gift of DEAD Rodents insteads. XD
edited by Kylestien on 12/13/2015

I had this a little bit, shortly before I became a POSI, though it was only a couple people - but even so, it became particularly frustrating going along and seeing a social action, accepting it, and then being harmed in the process (especially as it took 3 actions to use the bed at my Lodgings.)

Like, if I’d gone up to them while they were playing and been like Deletes 4 actions from your candle, using a single action of my own they’d be pretty upset. Having it happen to me more than once became pretty disheartening, even though I knew I could recover from it easily enough.

I think I ended up sending a rude message back and blocking them on Storynexus. (I’ve since cleaned out my block list so I have no idea who it was, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t handle it very well at the time.)

I think mostly everything has been said at this point, what would still interest me is how many incidents are we talking about here? Apologies if you stated it somewhere and I didn’t see it; but that information would be useful in determining the magnitude of the harassment - or whether it’s just a bunch of smartalecks each thinking they had a unique idea…

I had this a little bit, shortly before I became a POSI, though it was only a couple people - but even so, it became particularly frustrating going along and seeing a social action, accepting it, and then being harmed in the process (especially as it took 3 actions to use the bed at my Lodgings.)

Like, if I’d gone up to them while they were playing and been like Deletes 4 actions from your candle, using a single action of my own they’d be pretty upset. Having it happen to me more than once became pretty disheartening, even though I knew I could recover from it easily enough.
[/quote]

For people with limited playing time, it can be aggravating since stick and bones are ignorable, eating away your game time isn’t. Most of the time when people complains, they aren’t complaining about known friends sending in a rat box mixed in among other actions as a prank, but people who engage you in conversation to get friendly, then drop you a rat box and immediately shut off all contact or go inactive.

I definitely agree that I don’t want any of the people who sent me the rats (or who send anybody rats once) to get in trouble, as I really don’t think they mean to harass me-just play a prank on the guy I’m RPing as. I’m sure they don’t know that other people have also had this same idea. Like I said, it’s just getting annoying and I wanted to know if there were steps I could take to protect myself. I’m fine with just not accepting packages right now or trying some of the other ideas suggested in this thread. You’ve all been very helpful, and I appreciate it :)

[quote=Kylestien]
BTW, I wanted to get you a nice gift, but you are also Handsome Jack, so I sent you a gift of DEAD Rodents insteads. XD
edited by Kylestien on 12/13/2015[/quote]

Awww, that’s very very sweet of you, but I’m not Handsome Jack. I’m sure that other player appreciated it though :P

Wait then who are you rping as from Boarderlands? Claptrap? Because, you know, everyone hates Claptrap and love rats are a blessing for him XD But seriously though let me know your in game name and I will send you some dead ones. XD

Not true, actually! The friend who introduced me to this game actually likes Claptrap. Thankfully, she has a great many good qualities too, so I can overlook this one instance of terrible judgement :P

Anyway, I’ve messaged you with the character’s name. Once again, it’s very sweet of you. My character thinks rats are very yummy :P

I sent you them and hope you enjoy (: .

Although I do have to say considering the Character and their actions, it DOES make a twisted sort of sense why people would send you live rats.
edited by Kylestien on 12/13/2015

[quote=Kylestien]I sent you them and hope you enjoy (: .

Although I do have to say considering the Character and their actions, it DOES make a twisted sort of sense why people would send you live rats.
edited by Kylestien on 12/13/2015[/quote]

Yes. I am quite aware of the reason why people would dislike and want to punish the character. It’s just getting annoying and I’d like to protect myself from it.

As I’ve said, if I’d known when I first signed up that other players could harm me with phony beneficial social actions, I probably wouldn’t have placed such a huge target on my back, but it’s too late now :P

Thank you for the rats. Although the enclosed message might mean my character is less likely to eat them and more likely to lob them at you when you go by on a velocipede. Wear a helmet :P

It might not even be for punishment maybe but rather they think you want to fight them XD

Great, now my supposed friends have moved on from sending me rats to poisoning me with lacre. Guess I’m going to have to stop accepting any and all social actions. Such a shame.

Seriously? this isn’t a lot of people making a stupid choice, this is one person deliberately tormenting you with alts!

Report it immidiately. There’s no way anyone with any sanity would send poisoned lacre! it’s wasting a small fortune!

Seriously? this isn’t a lot of people making a stupid choice, this is one person deliberately tormenting you with alts!

Report it immidiately. There’s no way anyone with any sanity would send poisoned lacre! it’s wasting a small fortune![/quote]

I can’t. It’s an option to do to people, so the person didn’t violate any rules. I told him off and snubbed him and that’s pretty much all I can do. But this was yet another instance of someone who I’d known for a while, who had sent me a normal dinner invitation as recently as last week to gain my trust, and then poisoned me. Any my nightmares are already high and I’m struggling not to become a laudenum junkie. I don’t need this crap from supposed friends.

I HATE this mechanic. I am NEVER interacting with another person in this game. On the forums, fine. But not in the game. I’m sick to death of people doing this crap to me. I’m sorry I can’t have a sense of humor about it. I’ve tried. But I’ve had enough. I’m nice and helpful and friendly to every player I interact with. And many of them are nice back. But there are enough bad apples who seem to enjoy pretending to be my pal JUST so they can hurt me that it’s completely spoiled the social aspect of this game for me.

It’s not fun anymore.

[li]

I think “Accepting No Further Rats” prevents you from getting cat-boxes as well, right?

One possible solution: if you get a box from a stranger, raise your wounds to 3. I believe that will make it impossible for you to open live-rat boxes even if they’ve already been sent to you.

If it’s become this bad, maybe it’s worth paying the Fate to change your character’s name… just saying.

I can’t. It’s an option to do to people, so the person didn’t violate any rules.[/quote]

If it’s a single person, then, yes, this is a mechanic they can use. If it’s a coordinated effort by a few people, or someone using multiple alts to attack you, then this is harassment and is explicitly against the Terms of Service:

[quote]
Failbetter Games may suspend the accounts of any users it deems to be engaging in malicious or inappropriate conduct. Such conduct includes but is not limited to:

• attempts to modify character statistics and possessions through exploits;[/li][li]attempts to manipulate character rankings or displays through means other than those intended by Failbetter Games;[/li][li]unauthorised reproduction or distribution of any of the Website’s content, including but not limited to Fate-locked content;[/li][li]harassment or misinformation directed against other players or against employees of Failbetter Games;[/li][li]attempts to hack the Website;[/li][li]unauthorised use of automation or scripting to interact with the site;[/li][li]use of secondary accounts to harass other players or gain competitive advantage;[/li][li]denial of service attacks against the Website;[/li][li]any other breach of these terms of service.

I’m so sorry to hear about this, but if you pm me your game name, I’ll be happy to send along real heals and help you with your menaces. AND send you actual nice things (though no cats or gift boxes as I’m already in arrangements with other people).

The forum is full of people I’ve had loads of fun playing with. It’s time to fill your acquaintance list with people who won’t send bad things when you don’t want them.

Thanks, you guys are all super kind and helpful. Right now I’m still deciding if I want to keep my account as-is, change the name and stop the RPing, or just start a new account. Whatever I decide, though, I want to say how much I appreciate all the advice you’ve given me and all the offers of help and friendship I’ve received both here and in private messages. Thanks everyone.