I just love the idea of the correspondence

I started playing Fallen London a few years back, and while I’m not so active on it anymore, I still think of the Correspondence, a language that hurts to learn. In the game, to increase your knowledge of the Correspondence, you hurt yourself and drive yourself to madness. You cannot avoid this suffering, you can only accept it. There is something about the story and writing of Fallen London that has stayed with me through the years, and the mechanics of learning the Correspondence more so than anything else. Whenever I am studying at college, or practicing something I want to get better at and run into difficulty, I always think of the Correspondence, and accept that the suffering and difficulty is a part of the process. So I guess I want to say thank you to the writers of Fallen London, for that little bit of motivation this game has given me.

you say it like there are languages that don’t hurt to learn (;

you say it like there are languages that don’t hurt to learn (;[/quote]

I’ve been trying to learn German via Duolingo. It hasn’t set my hair on fire yet (though sometimes it feels as though it might). :-)

[quote=Catherine Raymond]
I’ve been trying to learn German via Duolingo. It hasn’t set my hair on fire yet (though sometimes it feels as though it might). :-)[/quote]

Ach, Deutsch kann nicht deinen Haaren entzuenden.

–That said, there’s even more to the Correspondence than just hurting to learn and funky definitions. (The definitions can be works of art, for the record.) The lore around the Correspondence is among the more central of Neathy mysteries.