I feel like I am in the wrong gender...

Hey, don’t go away! This is a serious doubt!

The thing is, the part of me feeling in the wrong gender is true. But I mean my IC gender! I chose gentleman at the beginning of it all, some years ago, but now I feel that I have made the wrong decision.

From the way it is described, I guess the Mask of Mr. Veils only gives you faces suitable to the gender you chose at the beginning, and the Page of the Liber Visionis, being a one-time, no-Fate-spent version of it, probably does the same, although I haven’t given it a try yet (Those pesky nightmares…)

I think I already know the answer to this, but is there a way to change your gender? If I have to buy Fate in order to do so, I will gladly do it, and if there is no such thing implemented in the game… Well, needless to say, I would approve of it.

(IMPORTANT NOTE: My reasons to stop being a gentleman and become a lady are only my own d__n business)
edited by el_mago_oskuro on 9/25/2013

I created a new account when I had the same realisation. Would be good if there was an alternative, or if one is introduced. Fingers crossed.

Plastic surgery in London 1891! Imagine the headlines! I would definitely support this!

I think this is an excellent idea.

[quote]Plastic surgery in London 1891! Imagine the headlines![/quote]Not as startling, perhaps, as you might think.

In Fallen London, though, I suspect it would not be plastic, but rubbery or perhaps amberine.

My daughter had made up a character using my email address without telling me. She had picked no gender for the character and I just played it. After a while I had the same feeling and wanted to play a woman.

I wrote to the nice people at Failbetter, explained the situation to them, and they were nice enough to just go in and change the gender for me.

I suspect that if you have been playing for a while and supporting the game with Fate and Nex asking and explaining this to the techs will possibly have them change it for you, and maybe they might give us an option to do it for ourselves.

I wish I knew the answer to this too. Right now would even be happy to spend 25 euros on getting the gender change. I have a story and things set but the thing that get’s in the way is the gender which is male in game. Does anyone know a solution and could help? If so then please tell me.

We had that question a few months ago and I’m 99% certain a dev stated that gender change is now possible - but maybe someone else can confirm 100% ?

:edit: The item Robin meant is the Page from the Liber Visionis. ;)
edited by phryne on 8/31/2016

In the help tab, they say they hope to have gender changes available soon.

My understanding is that Joy’s experience with FBG’s support people is the norm. If you write them and explain your circumstance they will try to make things right for you.

In pretty much all things like this that I’ve ever heard of FBG takes some pains to try to do the right thing.

The above is all correct. The Urchins card has an option to change your terms of address to any of various gendered or gender-neutral terms. Paying Fate for the Mask of Mr Veils or using A Page from the Liber Visionis (an item available one time from completing the Secrets of the Face-Tailor storyline) will let you change your cameo image once, to any other image regardless of your character’s set gender. Changing your character’s gender (displayed primarily on the profile page and myself tab) is not currently possible within the game, but if you email Failbetter they are happy to change it for you.

I’m a bit surprised after the changes to faces and terms of address that gender explicitly exists in the game at all. Perhaps it could be removed in favor of just using the term of address.

While I understand gender-locking is problematic and pointlessly restrictive, I’d mourn the loss of the gendered cameos, and I, personally, value knowing which are gendered and which are not. I would have assumed a lot of the gender neutrals to be male without context, personally.

When I started playing FL, our choice of portraits were all half-body affairs - I’m not sure if anyone preserved those for posterity before the switch to head-and-shoulder shots - and, unless I’m remembering awry, folks of nonspecific gender could choose any portrait they liked. The switch to a separate set of &quotandrogynous&quot cameos - whose features range from &quotboyish&quot to &quotcompletely obscured&quot by way of &quotjust plain weird&quot - was a bit of a retrograde step, sadly, and I’m glad it’s since been de-restricted.

Personally, I’d be more than happy to see the initial gender setting removed entirely, and lady/gentleman/individual replaced with a range of options, just like sir/madam/yes. (And, similarly, the subtitle removed from the ‘Madam’ option in Sunless Sea.) I don’t know how easy that would be to implement - perhaps we’ll see it as part of the redesigned profile pages. (Incidentally, I’d also be happy to see some of the old portraits made available again, even if only because one of them actually looked uncannily like me. I was sorry to see it go.)

I think gender still explicitly exists because it would be rather difficult to remove entirely without some serious rework of the codebase. Also given it displays on profiles and so can be useful for roleplay and such, I’d much prefer some simple option in-game to change the character’s gender.

While I understand gender-locking is problematic and pointlessly restrictive, I’d mourn the loss of the gendered cameos, and I, personally, value knowing which are gendered and which are not. I would have assumed a lot of the gender neutrals to be male without context, personally.[/quote]
The cameos aren’t gendered anymore, as of fairly recently. Those creating a new character see the full list of images without having to select a gender first.

How do you email them though? Sorry, kinda new here.

Try support@failbettergames.com or their bug report site connected to that email.
edited by Optimatum on 9/1/2016

Removing the gender setting altogether would be just a wee bit ahistorical too. Granted, when you’ve been moved from the Thames to just down the Lethe from Hell, which gender you are, what you do as that gender, or whether you wish to declare gender none of the world’s business all seem somewhat plausible–but not eliminating it as a societal issue entirely.

Perhaps, but there are plenty of other factors that would affect one’s social standing in Victorian society that aren’t asked for at character creation - race, class, religion, what have you. Gender’s one of the few factors baked into our characters from the get-go, and is currently the only one that can’t be changed.

Edit: To clarify, I wouldn’t want to see references to gender removed entirely - I mean, never mind the codebase; that would require rewriting a huge percentage of the game text. I’d just be happy to see &quotgentleman/lady/it is a mystery&quot expanded to include other options. Some folks’ gender isn’t mysterious but isn’t either &quotgentleman&quot or &quotlady&quot either. Others might be happy not making such a song and dance about the whole thing, and would be happy to simply be an individual, or a citizen, or a doctor, or an adventurer, or what have you.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 9/1/2016

I’d say it’s a pretty common feature when designing a character and a big part of a the character’s design for a lot of people. It’s great that there’s an option for people who don’t want to be bound by the usual &quotmale/female&quot option, and it would be nice to be able to change it if someone feels like redesigning their character, but doing away with it entirely seems artificial and unnecessary to me.

Also OP, was it really necessary to be pointlessly rude to people who were nothing but helpful and friendly to you?
edited by Kukapetal on 9/1/2016

[quote=Kukapetal]Also OP, was it really necessary to be pointlessly rude to people who were nothing but helpful and friendly to you?
edited by Kukapetal on 9/1/2016[/quote]

I think OP was just trying to cut the &quotWhy?&quots off at the pass, but regardless, as they haven’t logged in to the forum for three years, I think your appeal might fall upon deaf ears.