I accidentally dropped my profession

I guess I just didn’t know that that button would drop my profession without asking me. I was a Minor Poet. I’m focusing on Persuasion and have a Charismatic Mentor. I assume it would be best to get a new profession ASAP? I further assume that ANY profession is better than none, but a profession geared toward Persuasion would be better than a random one? Am I correct? My stats are as follows:[li]

Watchful: 42 (+4)
Shadowy 35 (+4)
Dangerous 26 (+2)
Persuasuve 67 (+8)

I am closest to Hell.

What should I do at this point? Any help is deeply appreciated.

Having a Profession certainly isn’t mandatory. Being a Minor Poet would only have increased your Persuasive until 70, so you’ve all but outgrown it already. You can pick up one of the equivalent Training Professions for your other stats from your Lodgings, if you like - depending on whether you want to level up fast, or do all the low-level content those stats have to offer. Otherwise, you could pick up one of the next-tier Professions from the cards relating to their relevant Connections. They give items and Connection boosts rather than base stat boosts as their reward, so you won’t level up so fast but you’ll get a lot richer.

Right, I’ve definitely seen those from time to time, but I’ve been unsure of them. Whichever one is associated with being closest to Hell seems especially rare. What are the various requirements for acquiring that profession so that I can work towards them while waiting for the opportunities to present themselves.

Most Professions have two different options to join them - for instance, both Hell and the Urchins offer Trickster as a Profession. Hell’s choice requires Connected: Hell 25, plus having become an Infernal Informant in one of the Ladybones Road storylines. The Urchins require Connected: Urchins 25 and being able to access the Flit. The results is identical, though, except that whichever Connection you chose will lose a few points - so, if you want to keep Connected: Hell high, you might actually want to go with the Urchins instead.

The other choices are Campaigner (Church or Revolutionaries), Enforcer (Revolutionaries or Criminals), Journalist (Bohemians), Rat-Catcher (Docks) and Watcher (Great Game or Constables). Their requirements, and the higher-level Professions they lead to, are all detailed on the Echo Bazaar Wikia.

Thanks for the help. Do you happen to know the most efficient way of increasing your Connected: Hell quality?

I don’t know if it’s the most efficient way, but getting Connected: The Church and Connected: Urchins to level 5 opens up for the conflict cards between those two factions and Hell (assuming that is also level 5 or more), and every time you side with one faction you get 30 CP to that faction and lose 15 CP of the other (so if any of them slip below level 5 you’d have to get it back up, perhaps by going to the Carnival).

You could also buy a Bright Brass Skull and pay 150 Silk Scraps and spend 3 Actions (all according to the wikia) to increase Connected: Hell as long as it’s below level 20. But that never appealed to me. I’d rather have the Devils pay me when I increase my affiliation to them.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Being a Minor Poet would only have increased your Persuasive until 70, so you’ve all but outgrown it already. [/quote]Unless they changed it one could still equip a Talkative Rattus Faber with its -25 to every main quality and get the profession bonus up till Persuasive 95 (or more; there are plenty of Persuasive -1 items for the rest of the equipment slots). But since they clearly have ways of checking against an unmodified Persuasive it would make perfect sense if they did change it to do just that.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook] Otherwise, you could pick up one of the next-tier Professions from the cards relating to their relevant Connections. They give items and Connection boosts rather than base stat boosts as their reward, so you won’t level up so fast but you’ll get a lot richer.[/quote]I wouldn’t say &quota lot&quot richer, but that depends on how much a character is being played during the weeks between payments. The thing is, one tends to get lower rewards from lower level storylets, so one would most likely get richer by trying to quickly get high enough main qualities to get the best rewards that come in around 100-200, depending on the storylet. Not that I would recommend rushing through the content just to get richer.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]The results is identical, though, except that whichever Connection you chose will lose a few points - so, if you want to keep Connected: Hell high, you might actually want to go with the Urchins instead.[/quote]Whenever I’ve chosen a second tier profession I’ve lost 325 CP of the relevant connection. That’s the first 25 levels. I’d say that’s quite a bit more than &quota few&quot. ;)

But yeah, if you already have Connected: Hell 50+ it’s only a 6-7 levels.[li]
edited by Gillsing on 1/23/2014

[quote=Gillsing]I don’t know if it’s the most efficient way, but getting Connected: The Church and Connected: Urchins to level 5 opens up for the conflict cards between those two factions and Hell (assuming that is also level 5 or more), and every time you side with one faction you get 30 CP to that faction and lose 15 CP of the other (so if any of them slip below level 5 you’d have to get it back up, perhaps by going to the Carnival).

You could also buy a Bright Brass Skull and pay 150 Silk Scraps and spend 3 Actions (all according to the wikia) to increase Connected: Hell as long as it’s below level 20. But that never appealed to me. I’d rather have the Devils pay me when I increase my affiliation to them.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Being a Minor Poet would only have increased your Persuasive until 70, so you’ve all but outgrown it already. [/quote]Unless they changed it one could still equip a Talkative Rattus Faber with its -25 to every main quality and get the profession bonus up till Persuasive 95 (or more; there are plenty of Persuasive -1 items for the rest of the equipment slots). But since they clearly have ways of checking against an unmodified Persuasive it would make perfect sense if they did change it to do just that.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook] Otherwise, you could pick up one of the next-tier Professions from the cards relating to their relevant Connections. They give items and Connection boosts rather than base stat boosts as their reward, so you won’t level up so fast but you’ll get a lot richer.[/quote]I wouldn’t say &quota lot&quot richer, but that depends on how much a character is being played during the weeks between payments. The thing is, one tends to get lower rewards from lower level storylets, so one would most likely get richer by trying to quickly get high enough main qualities to get the best rewards that come in around 100-200, depending on the storylet. Not that I would recommend rushing through the content just to get richer.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]The results is identical, though, except that whichever Connection you chose will lose a few points - so, if you want to keep Connected: Hell high, you might actually want to go with the Urchins instead.[/quote]Whenever I’ve chosen a second tier profession I’ve lost 325 CP of the relevant connection. That’s the first 25 levels. I’d say that’s quite a bit more than &quota few&quot. ;)

But yeah, if you already have Connected: Hell 50+ it’s only a 6-7 levels.[li]
edited by Gillsing on 1/23/2014[/quote]

[/li][li]Ok…Well, my Connection to Hell is one largely of personal preference. You’re dumped into this world and, for the most part, are left to pursue factions and stories that appeal to you, which is what I did. Can you give me any sort of guidance as to what I might should do next now that my attributes are approaching decently high? Is it time to get an &quotadvanced&quot profession? If so, why? And what’s the best way to do it? And which is a good option for me? You seem to know what you’re talking about.
[/li][li]

[quote=Chris Cocanougher]Ok…Well, my Connection to Hell is one largely of personal preference. You’re dumped into this world and, for the most part, are left to pursue factions and stories that appeal to you, which is what I did. Can you give me any sort of guidance as to what I might should do next now that my attributes are approaching decently high? Is it time to get an &quotadvanced&quot profession? If so, why? And what’s the best way to do it? And which is a good option for me? You seem to know what you’re talking about.[/quote]I might know what I’m talking about, but I don’t know a lot about you. Personally I tried to stay with the first tier ‘training’ professions for as long as I could to get the weekly +250 CP bonus to one of my main qualities. One way to do that is to get your 1-2 favourite qualities to 100+ and focus on storylets that rely on those qualities, while at the same time having a profession that is connected to one of your least favourite qualities. That way you can boost all your qualities to 100, some by playing and others by simply cashing in a weekly reward that is in no way connected to your actual activities during that week.

Depending on how quickly you want to become a Person of Some Significance you might want to prepare in advance by becoming an Enforcer, since those get two Use of Villains every week, which is a resource you’ll need for a Gang of Hoodlums (8) and/or a Swift Zee-Clipper (12). You don’t need either of these, but perhaps you’ll want them? Since it takes 34(?) Actions to grind a single Use of Villains, getting two for free is like getting 68 Actions every week, up until you have enough Use of Villains to get what you want. Then they’re just worth the 6 Echoes each you can get by selling them, I suppose. (A Gang of Hoodlums also seems to require 5 x 2000 Rostygold, so start saving up, or don’t sell the Rostygold you already have just because it seems like it’s not used a lot. I haven’t gathered my gang yet, so my numbers may be off on this.)

To become an Enforcer you can use the Criminals or the Revolutionaries faction cards, and I recommend the Revolutionaries, since increasing Connected: Criminals to 25 is pretty hard, and no fun to do again. You also need to have sided with the Cheery Man against the Last Constable, which I didn’t, so for me there wasn’t even a choice. To become an Enforcer through the Revolutionaries you need to be Plotting against the Masters, which I started doing through a Shadowy 45-75 card. If you really don’t like the Revolutionaries you could probably start plotting , choose to become an Enforcer, and then &quotchange your mind&quot when they want you to actually do something, which will cost you the rest of your Connected: Revolutionaries, but what do you care? ;)

Another valuable resource for PoSI is Night on the Town, since that can yield a lot of Making Waves, which can also save a lot of Actions compared to slower methods of doing this. Journalists and Authors get two every week, so after Enforcer I’ve chosen Author as my profession. But you need to become a Journalist first, and apart from Connected: Bohemian 25, that also requires that you have Raking the muck 7+, which is a quality you can get from a storyline in Spite, involving some Hacking Reporter or such (it was some time ago).

So, apart from just going with what seems appropriate for your character, this is what you could/should do. Personally I don’t like classes, so I don’t take the professions too seriously. My character is what my character does, and if punching in a clock at a given place gives certain rewards, well…

Also be forewarned that a number of professions are hinted to become entangled in a sinister manner with the Bazaar…

[quote=EmperorXenu]I guess I just didn’t know that that button would drop my profession without asking me. I was a Minor Poet. I’m focusing on Persuasion and have a Charismatic Mentor. I assume it would be best to get a new profession ASAP? I further assume that ANY profession is better than none, but a profession geared toward Persuasion would be better than a random one? Am I correct? My stats are as follows:[li]

Watchful: 42 (+4)
Shadowy 35 (+4)
Dangerous 26 (+2)
Persuasuve 67 (+8)

I am closest to Hell.

What should I do at this point? Any help is deeply appreciated.[/quote][/li][li]
[/li][li]I did that once myself, and was a Journalist at the time. You can always get a Profession back (or a new one, perchance?), even though you may have to wait a while for an opportunity card to do so.

[/li][li]

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Most Professions have two different options to join them - for instance, both Hell and the Urchins offer Trickster as a Profession. Hell’s choice requires Connected: Hell 25, plus having become an Infernal Informant in one of the Ladybones Road storylines. The Urchins require Connected: Urchins 25 and being able to access the Flit. The results is identical, though, except that whichever Connection you chose will lose a few points - so, if you want to keep Connected: Hell high, you might actually want to go with the Urchins instead.

The other choices are Campaigner (Church or Revolutionaries), Enforcer (Revolutionaries or Criminals), Journalist (Bohemians), Rat-Catcher (Docks) and Watcher (Great Game or Constables). Their requirements, and the higher-level Professions they lead to, are all detailed on the Echo Bazaar Wikia.[/quote]

[li]
Which storyline in Ladybones Roads is it I have to do? If I’ve already done it incorrectly in the past, can I fix it?

It’s called “A raid on the Brass Embassy!”. I don’t think you’ll have reached the level of Watchful to see it yet. It can only be done once, and if you want to become a Trickster through the Burning Shadows card, you’ll need to assist the Devils in the Raid storylet.

[li]
Cool. Thanks, man! Really appreciate it!

As with some of the storylet choices you make, it’s quite easy to lock yourself out of certain occupations. For example, siding with the Last Constable and giving up the revolutionaries in “Plotting against the Masters” will close off the Enforcer occupation, which is what I did.