How useful is the overgoat?

I could afford the overgoat today, if i liquidated most of my funds… but i’m not sure it’s worth it. How useful is the overgoat? Should I wait until i reach 12000 echoes? Should i get it now? What benefits does it offer, besides easier expeditions?

One a scale of 1 to 10 … it’s about a 7.

(Sorry! I couldn’t resist. I’m horrible, I know.)

1. You have a goat.
  2. the overgoat card is ~3 echoes per action I think? So that’s pretty profitable.
  3. Helps raise SoTC at the university due to the watchful boost.
  4. Seriously it’s a goat and it’s awesome.

But if you want to keep some of your items, I don’t think there’s any harm in waiting.
edited by suinicide on 12/12/2015

[quote=suinicide]1) You have a goat.
2) the overgoat card is ~3 echoes per action I think? So that’s pretty profitable.
3) Helps raise SoTC at the university due to the watchful boost.
4) Seriously it’s a goat and it’s awesome.

But if you want to keep some of your items, I don’t think there’s any harm in waiting.
edited by suinicide on 12/12/2015[/quote]
Yeah, I think I’ll wait then. I value being able to say money is no object more than i value that list, so I’ll wait until I have some spending money and don’t have to give up the really rare stuff. With bad luck, I’ll have it by febuary. (With good luck, I’ll get to buy all 20 buckets of lacre i budgeted for, and get the tears from it. really hope snowbound is tommorow, though… otherwise, I’m only equipped for 8 nadir runs.)
edited by Grenem on 12/12/2015

[quote=Grenem]Yeah, I think I’ll wait then… until I have some spending money and don’t have to give up the really rare stuff.[/quote]This is probably a good plan. A goat is forever. There really is no particular rush to get one. Don’t sell anything you’ll regret.
The Overgoated list will be here for you whenever you’re ready.

[quote=Nigel Overstreet][quote=Grenem]Yeah, I think I’ll wait then… until I have some spending money and don’t have to give up the really rare stuff.[/quote]This is probably a good plan. A goat is forever. There really is no particular rush to get one. Don’t sell anything you’ll regret.
The Overgoated list will be here for you whenever you’re ready.[/quote]
and of course, some things are without price. one of them is being able to do the 8 ppa expedition grind without guilt or worry. (The most action efficient reproducable tears source, ofc.) I suspect i’d have the goat sooner, elsewise.

I am too green to even consider the possibility of considering an Overgoat yet. What about an overcoat made of Overgoat leather, though? Would that be a good investment? Does it withstand humidity and random whelk-falls from the Flit, or will the first grubby urchin who runs into me ruin it?

[quote=The Duke of Waltham]I am too green to even consider the possibility of considering an Overgoat yet. What about an overcoat made of Overgoat leather, though?[/quote]If you can get close enough to skin it, good on you mate.

As a new owner of an Overgoat, two significant benefits have presented themselves:

[ul][li]The obvious: Watchful score goes much higher. Mandatory for things like increasing SotC if that’s what you want to do, and useful for Watchful-scaling checks like The Mechanics Of Progress card.
[/li][li]I consistently get Storm-Threnodies & Bazaar Permits from the 8-action card option. With the goat’s Watchful boost, I get a 50ish percent chance and a single second chance gives two tries. Storm-Threnodies are grind-able through other methods, but they’re a pain.[/li][/ul] Bonus, which doesn’t apply to me (since I own a Bifurcated Owl):

[ul][li]Max Companion BDR without Fate (+2). You can also go to Polythreme to get an Unfinished Hat, mind you, which is easier now that zailing is easier.
[/li][/ul]Once I get the chance, I’m gonna grind for the Ubergoat so I can 100% the 3-supply Expedition check (plus more SotC). (An Extraordinary Mind or Watchful Destiny owner would probably make do with just an Overgoat.)

One reason I’m very pleased with my Overgoat is that I never sold anything I regretted selling. If anything, I was excessively cautious about that. If you’re not sure it’s worth liquidating all your possessions to get an Overgoat, then definitely don’t do it.

The Overgoat is one of the few companions that gives you both +Dreaded and +Bizarre. The Overgoat gives them at +1 apiece; the Ubergoat, at +2. This can be immensely useful for lowering your cost of Making Waves, and thus for improving Notability.

yes, well, if getting an unfinished hat would be a difficulty, i wouldn’t be considering an overgoat. Also… i don’t have fate for the ubergoat. Yes, i know, it’s 1 fate, but, well, it’s 1 fate. I have 0.

A bunch of different stories provide a couple fate on conclusion so there may be some you haven’t yet done. Also, playing an Exceptional Story when it first comes out unlocks one of the Enthusiastic Urchin cards where you can rate the story and gain two fate. I don’t know if both cards would still show up, but if you feel like treating yourself to EF-ship for the holidays, Flint has a separate card for each part giving a bonus of four fate total.

Huh… Pretty sure I only got one, after Flint II (been an EF before Flint I came).
Are you sure about the two cards?

I’m fairly sure as the card specifically asked about part 2. I feel like I got a card asking about Flint I after completing it but before starting out on the expedition, but I may be misremembering. Alexis also said something about activating the cards for a randomly-chosen thousand people or something so you might just be unlucky there.

Affair of the Box for Mourning Candles is definitely one of the best grinds. War of Assassins for Collections of Curiosities is even better but as it relies on the Tomb-Colonist card it’s only worth keeping a few Collections on hand at any given time. The Fidgeting Writer is best done in large batches to reduce potential losses from variation and also less clicking around in general. There was a thread a month or two ago suggesting using a Gang of Hoodlums and the new Topsy King option of one action for 1 CP casing to go on a heist at the law offices with one Inside Information. According to the post the 5-progress reward is consistently better than the 7-progress reward even if you have enough, as the lower one has the chance of giving a Searing Enigma instead. (Plus heists give some MW as a bonus.) Spirifers can grind Souls through Unfinished Business and trade them in for an EPA slightly above the Affair of the Box, while it’s of course difficult to compare to the Fidgeting Writer. With high watchful the Gallery of Serpents is very profitable as with certain choices it gives the (always fate-only) unpredictable treasure alongside Uncanny Incanabula and sometimes bonus supplies. Since they’re the same fate cost it’s not worth grinding the Temple of Uttermost Wind if you have high enough watchful for the Gallery.

I just bought my first Overgoat today after many months slowly grinding alongside stories and seasonal content. I have the Goat Farmer’s Browser Extension installed so can see the total echoes I have available at a given time; since I was getting pretty close already I went through all my items and lowered the number I had reserved of most, so was able to find enough extra cash for the last stretch. Even if an Impossible Theorem is super cool, it’s pretty useless and costly to make so there’s not much point in having ~50 spare enigmas hanging around.

I’m not 100% sure that Spirifing is a better grind as I only just became a Spirifer myself, but that’s what I’ve heard from more in-the-know players.

I can 100% confirm that Spirifing is better than Affair of the Box but beneath Collections of Curiosities.
edited by Cecil on 12/14/2015

I got the Overgoat recently, without selling anything that I can’t replace easily enough.

I haven’t yet been impressed by it, I was hoping that with all my other bonuses it would let me 100% the 3-supply actions on expeditions, but no such luck. Probably my fault for taking the Passion destiny.
I am definitely looking forward to the Ubergoat though.

No one mentioned the third coil farm + take the goat demon alive. With 1.96 epa (says wiki) its even better than selling CoC to the tomb colonists!

About that - is it possible that i am locked out of it after completing it?