How do you raise Austere and Hedonist to 12?

Please assist me, fellow players. For the past 13 days, Mr Chimes has been staring me down at the entryway of the House of Chimes. I have already paid the admission fee but I have yet to step a foot onto his estate. Apparently, I am not exceptional enough for his tastes. D: …Okay, I tell a lie. To be precise, I don’t find myself exceptional enough, but this is where the rest of you come in to save the day! (18 days to be exact since the House of Chimes is a 31 day subscription.)

I am most interested in presenting myself as a Scarlet Saint to Mr Chimes. The requirements are minimum scores of 12 in the quirks Austere and Hedonist. There’s also the matter of possessing Connection scores of 75 to both Hell and the Church, but that’s an uphill battle I know I can win. I’m not sure how, where or even when to unlock storylets and cards to increase Austere and Hedonist beyond 9. Frankly, I’ve never been so intimidated by the number 12 in my entire life.

My character stats:
Watchful 80
Shadowy 80
Dangerous 74
Persuasive 73

I’ve repeatedly searched forums and wikis for tips. Most of those tips no longer apply, though; quirks have recently become capped. I think I’ve tried every storylet and card that’s currently possible for my character to play and the quirk increases are all capped at 9 or lower.

Where should I go from here? All suggestions and ideas are welcome! I offer my sincere thanks in advance.

For those wondering why I’m not choosing an alternate and/or simpler exceptional trait for the House of Chimes, I give two reasons:

1. It seems that deciding upon an entrance trait is an one-time deal.
  2. Scarlet Saint is the choice that resonates best with my character and even that feels iffy.

Hedonist you can get up to 12 through the Sardonic Music-Hall Singer. Austere I’m a little more unsure about. Is the Intimate of Devils source capped? You could keep rejecting their invitations for Austere boosts if it isn’t capped. Though I’m guessing from you trying everything that it is. Worst case scenario would have you waiting until you can go to the Iron Republic and pay 10 Fate to boost it further, but I’m hoping that isn’t the only way currently available.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/20/2013

I tried flirting with my Sardonic Music-Hall Singer pal a moment ago and actually succeeded. Unfortunately, I received the message “Hedonist hasn’t changed, because it’s higher than 8”. I suppose the failure result is also capped at 9. Thank you for the advice, though; I actually hadn’t tried it before.

nod “Reject” option for One Infernal Evening is now capped at 6 Austere. “Reject politely” option for An Evening of Music and Possible Hellfire is at 6. The “Decline” option for A Game of Croquet is at 9. I can’t remember the specific Hedonist result caps for Intimate of Devils, but I’m certain the maximum is also 9.

I’d feel a wee silly paying 10 Fate to boost my quirks, especially when I’m uncertain if it’ll take me to 12 in one go, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind.

I only know of three other ways to possibly raise my Austere:
An edition of edification and pleasing truth (from Start the Presses!)
An edition brimming with truth and wisdom (from Start the Presses!)
A handshake and a goodbye (from A Shipboard Encounter)

Don’t I need to be a PoSI to access the above story branches? I doubt I’ll acquire PoSI status within 18 days, though I don’t mind renewing my House of Chimes subscription for another month. (I’ve become fond of those twin candles.) I’m more doubtful as to whether I can obtain 12 in my quirks without the use of Fate. :-/

I’m disappointed Mr Chimes doesn’t offer an exceptional entry trait related to being compassionate, but I won’t fault him for having no interest in it. Besides, Scarlet Saint is fairly accurate and uncomfortably close to summarizing my character’s history.

Aw, the wiki said the cap was 12. That is a shame, especially since the Iron Republic quirk boost divides those two up into separate options, both of which are 10 Fate. I think the Shipboard Encounter is available to anybody with the Map Scraps to purchase a ticket to Polythreme in Wolfstack. The other two are PoSI options.

If you’re indulging in a less than Laudable Laudanum habit 5 the option there will increase Hedonist. I’m not sure where the cap is on that one, and it is a POSI option, but it’s better than paying 10 more Fate than you have to.

Edit: Ah, Saharan has a better route for Hedonist.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 1/20/2013

I actually am working on the same goal; hedonist was fairly easy. Drink laudanum until 8 or 9, and when picnicking with a Quiet Deviless, “Brag a little” your way to 11. Becoming intimate with John the Baptist’s severed head should help you reach 12, or should you care to try for the original requirements, perhaps all the way to 15. As for Austere…

The first 5 levels can be achieved by both Church connection cards, the ones that have you choose between the Church and either the Bohemians or Hell respectively. This is also how I’ve been grinding the Church connection, as well. As for the rest of the way, I’m not certain you can decrease your stats enough to reach it, but Spite’s "Villainy for profit: Area-diving!"s end completion has a choice that nets you a large increase to Austere all the way up to 12 and possibly beyond. I was repeatedly completing this myself, and was at 11 and 11/12ths Austere when a bug on my part stopped me from going any further (And yes, I’ve submitted a bug report, but it’s been open since the 11th and Alexis has yet to do anything).

I don’t think you can anymore. Recently the caps for a great many of the Quirks were capped where previously they were not. It has been discussed a bit, starting at silasilent’s post here.

I, too, was also hoping to become a Scarlet Saint and was slowly building my Austere up to do so, but it looks like that is not to be. Only Scarlet Fenwick and Kaanyia will have that honor, from now until forever. It’s a shame, but it looks like the Quirks have been permanently capped.

Also, the requirement to become a Scarlet Saint used to be 15 in Austere and Hedonist. Is that no longer true?

[quote=Nigel Overstreet]EDIT: The requirement to become a Scarlet Saint used to be 15 in Austere and Hedonist. Is that no longer true?
edited by Nigel Overstreet on 1/20/2013[/quote]

Indeed, they’re now 12 in each quirk. Mind you, I wouldn’t be surprised if there are one~two storylets per quirk that are uncapped, somewhere.

During my quest to become a Scarlet Saint, the only uncapped Austere actions I could find were the Intimate of Devils opportunity cards and the “They don’t even cheat well” card from the University. Both were recently altered to be capped, unfortunately.

If there are other uncapped sources of austere, I never found them.

Well, there is a larger content plan involving quirks. I’ve no doubt that new options will someday emerge to increase the qualities beyond the current max. Aside from the Iron Republic fate option, that is.

To Sara Hysaro:
strokes virtual beard pensively After considering your Iron Republic clarification, I’ll save that 20 Fate for a long storyline instead. I’ll resume my initial plan of exploring, fumbling and working my way up to becoming a PoSI. I’ll drift back to Mr Chimes’ doorstep after obtaining PoSI status. By then, I hope more Fateless options for increasing quirks to 12+ will be confirmed.

To Saharan:
I’m shocked the “Brag a little” option allows you to increase Hedonist to 11. That seems so random, but I would enjoy being proven wrong regarding the Hedonist 9 cap for Intimate of Devils. I shall endeavor to re-raise my IoD quality till I encounter the card again. I’ll have to tinker with this storyline for the glory of hedonistic science. I’ve mostly been focused on austerity and testing IoD for that quirk, but maybe one can raise Hedonist to 10 or 12 with certain card options.
I haven’t tested the “Austere” decision for the first IoD card, A Devil’s Taken a Shine to You, but I’ll get to it eventually.

Honestly, I would rather not smooch a decapitated head, but I am beginning to see the need for it. I own a Nephrite Lens as my Exotica item. An account can only own one Exotica item at a time, right? I’ll get rid of the Nephrite Lens and try to draw the card for the Counterfeit Head of John the Baptist. I know you can acquire a Head from choosing to “Get a good look at the head” for the As Big as Your Head card (Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 16); if you do so repeatedly, can you stack heads? Does someone own a quaint cottage in the marshes somewhere composed of counterfeit heads??

I digress further, but I don’t believe the Head is related to John. I think it’s an offshoot of the original One Hunahpu head-tree thingamajig:
http://www.mythweb.com/teachers/why/other/hero_twins.html
I’ll have to remember to wear gloves around my Singular Plant once it blooms.

I’m beyond the help of Spite’s Area-diving, but that might prove useful for someone else. One of the wikis states the venture is locked at Shadowy 32, so someone with negative stat gear in the lower 50’s should still be okay.

To Nigel Overstreet:
Is your Austere still at 12? If so, you can now be a saint draped in crimson. :D

To Kaanyia:
Do you recall the cap for the University opportunity card? Even 10 would be great progress since I’m stalled at Austere 9.

Other stuff:
I own a Shepard’s Timepiece and the Regretful Soldier’s my buddy; it’s been strongly hinted that a person with such qualities should visit the House of Chimes. As a side thought, does anyone know the resultant text for the Timepiece and Soldier options in the early game Loquacious Vicar storyline? Please PM me with any and all related information for that. I’ve always wondered about it!

[quote=Zeedee]Honestly, I would rather not smooch a decapitated head, but I am beginning to see the need for it. I own a Nephrite Lens as my Exotica item. An account can only own one Exotica item at a time, right? I’ll get rid of the Nephrite Lens and try to draw the card for the Counterfeit Head of John the Baptist. I know you can acquire a Head from choosing to “Get a good look at the head” for the As Big as Your Head card (Attending to the Needs of a Singular Plant 16); if you do so repeatedly, can you stack heads? Does someone own a quaint cottage in the marshes somewhere composed of counterfeit heads??

I digress further, but I don’t believe the Head is related to John. I think it’s an offshoot of the original One Hunahpu head-tree thingamajig:
http://www.mythweb.com/teachers/why/other/hero_twins.html
I’ll have to remember to wear gloves around my Singular Plant once it blooms.[/quote]

I can’t speak for certain on whether or not you can stack heads, but you’re correct about only owning one type of Exotica at once. I never once received the plant-head card when I owned a giggling mandrake in all my time of raising my little plant. As for whether or not it’s related to John, well, the item name IS “Counterfeit Head of John the Baptist”. Then again, perhaps that’s yet another rebranding courtesy of God’s Editors.

I’m sure there’s a groan-inducing “ahead” pun to be made here, but I’ll spare us all the pain. A restriction of x1 for an Exotica item sounds about right. I’ll scrap my designs for a Counterfeit Head chair for the parlor.

You can have several exotica items at once, since I currently have both a head and a giggling mandrake (head is from plant). Not sure whether you can stack them, though. I shall see.

I currently own 25 counterfeit heads as a result of my singular plant, so yes, you can get multiples.

My alt drew that card and was able to get counterfeit heads even though he had a nephrite lens, so that’s not a barrier either.

If you still have access to The Empress’ Court, the Corruption of Youth option is a good way to quickly raise Hedonism. I can’t say if it’s been capped recently though.

Corruption of Youth caps at 5, unfortunately

[quote=Zeedee]To Kaanyia:
Do you recall the cap for the University opportunity card? Even 10 would be great progress since I’m stalled at Austere 9.[/quote]

It caps at 8, if I recall correctly. If I see the card come up again soon I’ll double check and let you know.

[quote=Zeedee]
I haven’t tested the “Austere” decision for the first IoD card, A Devil’s Taken a Shine to You, but I’ll get to it eventually.[/quote]

I checked this last night and it is indeed capped.

You can stack them. I still have two Giggling Mandrakes from my Knife-and-Candle days.

Incredible! Do you have an ultimate plan for those heads? Such as becoming an avatar of scandal by kissing them all consecutively? You could shoot up to triple digit scandal! The Tomb Colonists might even reject such a character.

Thanks! I’m still some ways from making a good impression at the University so I can’t check for a while (probably a few weeks).

All the responses have been quite interesting and valuable. I heartily thank everyone for their contributions. It’s becoming difficult to memorize all the quirk caps. I’ll start updating wikia entries with the new information as I encounter it so that inquiring minds might know.