Hmm... a new twist?

It seems I’m now actually losing a certain card in the Nadir if I use second chances and then bug out of it on failure… (in order to spamscum it again hrrm). Don’t tell me they finally got it right?

Yes, it’s a recent change in game mechanics. You can still use the Second Chance trick on storylets, however.

It’s not like I’m complaining… just wanted to know if ̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶i̶̶n̶̶a̶̶l̶̶l̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶g̶̶h̶̶t̶ that was intentional or something else :)

It might actually be a bit more helpful that way, as another user pointed out:

[quote=Ian Hart]Lets see…
debatably A Weakness in the Air (though I like that card)
An Altarful of Strangers, An Unlikely Garden (which is now &quotjunk&quot if you fail,) Old Sins, and Something Moves.[/quote]

These are cards you can now try to remove from your hand without getting a point of Irrigo. It makes a couple things outside of the Cave of the Nadir more annoying, but it was pretty nice being able to ditch these cards from my deck without penalty (if I failed the check, at least). I also like not feeling obligated to game An Unlikely Garden, too. That’s probably part of why they changed this mechanic - the devs don’t want people feeling like they need to do things that aren’t fun, so they removed the incentive.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 8/23/2015

This was “fixed” with the fix to the Polite Invitation bug (where doing the card wouldn’t get rid of it).

Ah, I wasn’t aware of precisely when it was changed, just that it was. If it’s a consequence of making sure the Polite Invitation card was removed from one’s hand after playing it then it probably had little to do with discouraging people from gaming cards like An Unlikely Garden.

Wait, does this apply to ALL cards, or just the ones in the Nadir? So you can’t get more than two shots at any Opportunity?

All cards, alas.

how annoying. those cards gave the best rewards ,even though the challenges are horribly hard even with maxed stats. without the “feature” to game second-chances, the nadir would be inefficient for gaining echos, and only good for getting unique equips, and upgrading ambers.

Don’t forget if you lose the card after perhaps notting out of the second chance it might turn up again while you are in the Nadir. So all you lose is an action without gaining any Irrigo and you might get lucky and get the Enigma on the first attempt.

I think it will be harder for people trying to upgrade their profession as the chance of the card turning up is much lower.

Not sure if it is a bug, but you can now gamble AND keep &quotThe Tower of Sparrows&quot card in your hand now after Perhaps Not. Sent a report anyway, but hoping it’s not.

Well that card is probably never leaving my hand again once I draw it (unless it turns out to be a bug).