Hesperidean Cider Charity Auction

$800 for a couple of pixels that help you with the easiest menace to manage and get out of, the world have gone mad.

[quote=Harlequin]$800 for a couple of pixels that help you with the easiest menace to manage and get out of, the world have gone mad.[/quote]There is also the not inconsiderable allure of lore. The hallucinogenic effects of Hesperidean Cider are rather more interesting than those of Prisoner’s Honey.

Hi all. There seemed to be a lot of concern about sniping and last minute “strategic bidding” going on in the comments both here and on the auction page. These methods are seen, it seems, as a somewhat dishonest and artificial way of keeping the price low and winning unjustly. While that may be fine for a normal auction, this is for charity and I felt that keeping the price low was the opposite of the intended goal here. So I made my honest bid of what I think is a fair price right away thus giving everyone plenty of time to digest it and determine for themselves what the true value of the cider is to them and to charity. This is effectively, the opposite of the sniper trend, and a more honest way of going about the whole auction I hope. Maybe my actions will inspire others to bid openly and with integrity in the name of giving the most to charity over the idea of getting the best price for personal value. :)

That said, I am a seasoned mystery hunter. I’ve already started to crack the mysteries of the cider, in part, thanks to the original cider holder from silver tree. We know three of the cider storylets available thanks to my and two other players efforts, but there are many left to explore (and I hate to leave a job unfinished). If I get the cider (and I hope I do) it won’t disappear. I’m pretty active and sociable after all. Let’s just hope that its an unlimited use item and not of the “you have 5cp, use it wisely” school of items.

Here’s to a fair and open auction, cheers.

People have paid more for less. But I kind of hope Cider has it’s own card with some really good effects. Simple wounds reduction somehow does not reflect just how awesome the item is in-game.
edited by Fhoenix on 2/12/2014

We know that the Cider gives strange dreams through a Taste of the Garden quality through the few sips we got from the other Hesperidian; it’s entirely likely that having the Cider yourself allows for access to even stranger dreams (and I think it’s hinted somewhere that the Cider’s dreams may be the real route to immortality).
Anyway NiteBrite needs the Cider to heal their sun scorches. That truly is the most important cause of all.

I hope for the charity’s sake that bidding goes long and hard. I hope for NiteBrite’s sake that they win the day and are carried thrice round the village by the cheering tenantry. And I hope for my own sake that whoever wins does indeed share delicious cider-lore - and maybe even just a drop of delicious cider, but only if it’s not limited in quantity!

In the success for wine conversion in fact, it says that Cider does not grant immortality itself but an acute vision of… something.

At the same time, one Destiny involves using Cider to travel to the Surface in the rudest possible health, despite significant obstacles.

The Cider definitely has /some/ wound healing properties, but perhaps they’re only temporary. I suppose we may find out at the end of the month.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 2/12/2014

[quote=NiteBrite]Hi all. There seemed to be a lot of concern about sniping and last minute &quotstrategic bidding&quot going on in the comments both here and on the auction page. These methods are seen, it seems, as a somewhat dishonest and artificial way of keeping the price low and winning unjustly. While that may be fine for a normal auction, this is for charity and I felt that keeping the price low was the opposite of the intended goal here. So I made my honest bid of what I think is a fair price right away thus giving everyone plenty of time to digest it and determine for themselves what the true value of the cider is to them and to charity. This is effectively, the opposite of the sniper trend, and a more honest way of going about the whole auction I hope. Maybe my actions will inspire others to bid openly and with integrity in the name of giving the most to charity over the idea of getting the best price for personal value. :)

That said, I am a seasoned mystery hunter. I’ve already started to crack the mysteries of the cider, in part, thanks to the original cider holder from silver tree. We know three of the cider storylets available thanks to my and two other players efforts, but there are many left to explore (and I hate to leave a job unfinished). If I get the cider (and I hope I do) it won’t disappear. I’m pretty active and sociable after all. Let’s just hope that its an unlimited use item and not of the &quotyou have 5cp, use it wisely&quot school of items.

Here’s to a fair and open auction, cheers.[/quote]

Disclaimer: I haven’t visited the auction page or read any of the discussion you refer to.

While I think it’s fantastic that you’ve made such a high bid, and I don’t for a moment doubt your intentions, one could easily make the argument that by doing so you have put off a large number of people that might have made a lower bid, become emotionally invested in the auction, and carried on bidding to an even higher final amount. I see this all the time on eBay and elsewhere.

I have to say I don’t think there’s anything inherently dishonest, unfair or unjust about sniping, even in the context of a charity auction. For many people, the idea isn’t to keep the price as low as possible, it’s to keep it within the range that they can afford.

Anwyay. I hope that the auction does well on all its items, and that someone active in these forums wins the cider!

I was going to wait to post this until later, until I’d made another post at the auction about last-minute bidding, but: putting on my auction mod hat, I have zero problem with either NiteBrite’s choices or people bidding later in the auction. People are allowed to use strategy! And to have different opinions about the effects, benefits, and virtues of those strategies!

(I also have not seen a lot of concern about “sniping” here or at the auction; I’ve seen one comment that asked about it, which I thought I ought to consider and bring to the auction community for feedback.)

This has the potential to be a very emotionally-fraught issue, so I wanted to get that auction-modly statement out now.

One fun effect of NiteBrite bidding as she did - I went and looked at all of the other auctions and bid on a few of those as well. I figured if the Cider was out of my reach, I might as well get those dollars to Con or Bust another way :)[li]

There is a lot of really cool stuff on auction, I am proud to say! And there’s more coming–I have two more publisher donations to put up, one today and later in the week, and I’ve been promised some more Farscape memorabilia from one of its producers, too. Thanks for looking, bidding, and letting us know!

(Also, followup post on last-minute bidding.)

I just wish it was easier to browse the various items. I’d like a linky list of just the titles, or something like that. Maybe it’s there and I’m not finding it?
Not that I’m likely to bid on them (sorry!) - because I’m trying to budget my own con attendance, and once again have been horrified at the costs (whimper). Totally and utterly approve, though - so will shove relevant lots at potentially interested parties.

You want “Auction Index” in the sidebar, or right here. You can also use the dropdown menus at the top of filter (say, show only “book”), and when we start putting in bid information, you’ll be able to sort low-high too.

And thanks! Don’t hesitate to tell anyone who might be interested that requests for assistance will be taken Feb. 15-25, too (more info).

[quote=an_ocelot]You want &quotAuction Index&quot in the sidebar, or right here. You can also use the dropdown menus at the top of filter (say, show only &quotbook&quot), and when we start putting in bid information, you’ll be able to sort low-high too.

And thanks! Don’t hesitate to tell anyone who might be interested that requests for assistance will be taken Feb. 15-25, too (more info).[/quote]

Thank you. I tried clicking it from the webpage and the excel came up blank, but worked when clicked from here … so it’s probably my incompetence or my computer hating me.

Yeah, Google Docs can occasionally be a bit fussy about loading, but on the whole it does what I need it to do really well.

Interpreter 1400

And you guys were worried there wouldn’t be any bidding because of my 800. Haha its only just begun ;)
edited by NiteBrite on 2/13/2014

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]And I hope for my own sake that whoever wins does indeed share delicious cider-lore - and maybe even just a drop of delicious cider, but only if it’s not limited in quantity![/quote]This does make me wonder: would whoever won the Cider be allowed to post the text on the wiki, or would it be considered fate-locked?

It’s possible to get without fate so it isn’t considered fate locked imo.