Help with lodgings

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Hi everyone,[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]My apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place. I am a beginner and fairly new to Fallen London, and am having some difficulties I was hoping you could help me with. After playing for a while, and still being unable to find any lodgings, I decided to look up a few walkthroughs. In all of them, the players received some sort of diamond right after fleeing prison. However, I never received any diamond, and am therefore very short of money. Also, when clicking on &quotFind somewhere to live!&quot the only option available to me is to charm a widow - which I can’t seem to do without much persuasion points. In the walkthroughs, however, the players seem to be offered a variety of options on how to acquire lodgings. [/color]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Is any of this simply the results of my previous choices? Or it it a bug of some sort?[/color]
[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]I would very much appreciate any helps. Many thanks in advance![/color]

When the diamond appears is basically up to the RNG, so don’t worry it will appear. Just keep checking your cards (or sometimes tab if you use the app)
And the other options for a house appear when you have 50 whispered hints or 60 rostygold. For now you can keep trying the pursuasive challenge, it doesn’t hurt to fail.
And welcome to London!

Ah, apparently I need a bit more patience! Thank you for your kind reply :)

A Warning: avoid the rooms above a bookshop at all costs.

If you end up playing this game for the long haul, you will come to resent these lodgings more than you can possibly imagine now.

While I’m at it – never romance a struggling artist, and never accept a gift from a mysterious benefactor. You will thank me later :)

[quote=Dr Cop]A Warning: avoid the rooms above a bookshop at all costs.

If you end up playing this game for the long haul, you will come to resent these lodgings more than you can possibly imagine now.

While I’m at it – never romance a struggling artist, and never accept a gift from a mysterious benefactor. You will thank me later :)[/quote]

Cottage by the Observatory is horrible, as well.

[quote=Morkan Kassington][quote=Dr Cop]A Warning: avoid the rooms above a bookshop at all costs.

[…] never accept a gift from a mysterious benefactor. You will thank me later :)[/quote]

Cottage by the Observatory is horrible, as well.[/quote]
Well, not everyone agrees with those views. If you do go for the Benefactor, I’d suggest the Shadowy route - the others definitely become redundant quickly.
edited by phryne on 8/24/2016

Greetings and welcome, delicious!
Lodgings can’t be sold so it’s best not to acquire all of them as each have their card. Here’s a useful thread regarding this matter.

[quote=Dr Cop]A Warning: avoid the rooms above a bookshop at all costs.

While I’m at it – never romance a struggling artist, and never accept a gift from a mysterious benefactor. You will thank me later :)[/quote]
I’ve had these lodgings since I began playing, for 3 months almost, and I don’t see why would they avoid it…it is not any different from the other lodgings…

[quote=BlabberingMat][quote=Dr Cop]A Warning: avoid the rooms above a bookshop at all costs.

I’ve had these lodgings since I began playing, for 3 months almost, and I don’t see why would they avoid it…it is not any different from the other lodgings…[/quote]

Because every lodging adds an unique card, there is no reason to only avoid that lodging though, the only difference to most is that it doesn’t have an option to trade in an item for making waves on it’s card but other than that it’s similar to others, some are still more useful than others and you shouldn’t get them all.

[quote=The Master][quote=BlabberingMat][quote=Dr Cop]A Warning: avoid the rooms above a bookshop at all costs.

I’ve had these lodgings since I began playing, for 3 months almost, and I don’t see why would they avoid it…it is not any different from the other lodgings…[/quote]

Because every lodging adds an unique card, there is no reason to only avoid that lodging though, the only difference to most is that it doesn’t have an option to trade in an item for making waves on it’s card but other than that it’s similar to others, some are still more useful than others and you shouldn’t get them all.[/quote]
Yes, that’s true. No one really needs all lodgings. I was just curious as to why such an ire towards these lodgings in particular :D

Adding a mediocre card to your deck makes it less likely to draw a good one. There’s nothing wrong with those lodgings otherwise.

Thanks for the tips! And speaking of mysterious benefactors - I just clicked the wrong button (!) and lost mine. I was upset because I thought that would be a bad thing (losing out on gifts, favors etc) – but you’re saying its actually better to be rid of them?

(Also, already wooed the struggling artist… oops!)

[quote=-OBrien-]Thanks for the tips! And speaking of mysterious benefactors - I just clicked the wrong button (!) and lost mine. I was upset because I thought that would be a bad thing (losing out on gifts, favors etc) – but you’re saying its actually better to be rid of them?

(Also, already wooed the struggling artist… oops!)[/quote]
They are ctually not that useful, because second chances, which are the only benefit you get from their card, are not lacking in sources, especially later in game. So, that card would basically clog your deck for nothing.

The Mysterious Benefactor gives you an item giving +2 in a stat when equipped. It’s really not that bad - the Watchful choice gives some Watchful +2 shoes, and the only other Watchful shoes in the game are seasonal.

I would say that the Mysterious Benefactor card is pretty useful, as second chances from Mysterious Benefactor are uncapped, while most (all non-seasonal?) other sources cap at 20.[li]
edited by menaulon on 8/26/2016

The Church/Great Game conflict card and the hedonistic “Give a Gift!” option both cap at 21, but there’s no reason to hold on to that many at once when you could cash them in to boost your stats.

I agree this is true mid-term. However, boosting stats becomes useless in the late game, while second chances on their own remain valuable, meaning that the card, in my opinion, always remains useful.
To connect this back to OP, can you restart Mysterious Benefactor storyline if you reject the benefactor midway through?
edited by menaulon on 8/26/2016[li]
edited by menaulon on 8/26/2016

[quote=menaulon][quote=PJ] To connect this back to OP, can you restart Mysterious Benefactor storyline if you reject the benefactor midway through?
[li]
[/li][li]Sorry for the late reply - Yes, after rejecting the mysterious benefactor the note appeared in my messages again, which allowed me to start the whole story-line from the beginning :) So far it has been exactly the same as last time.

[/li][li]PS: Ugh, not used to writing in community forums, I messed up this quoting thing… Oh well[/li][li]
edited by -OBrien- on 8/26/2016