Hallowmas Party Dance Floor

A space near the windows has been cleared of tables, and the loiterers are being shooed away by various impatient staff members. One guest’s reptilian companion hisses, the waiter hisses back.

A nervous string quartet tune their instruments, before starting a stuttery rendition of pop-goes-the-weasel. A man with a glass harmonium lurks in the corner, glaring.

The view, at least, is beautiful. The city is alight with Hallowmas candles, glittering glim, and anarchists’ bonfires.

(The dance floor will soon be open. Please refrain from harassing the musicians too much, as they’ve recently had the misfortune of performing at the Shuttered Palace and are still rather traumatized.)
edited by pillbox on 11/2/2016

Pillbox and the Mirthless Colonist enter the dance floor and begin to negotiate on a dance. The band’s choice of music doesn’t make it any easier.

&quotIs the evening treating you well?&quot

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]font=facitweb-1, facitweb-2, &quotLucida Sans Unicode&quot, &quotLucida Grande&quot, sans-serif quick compilation of our waltz. Sorry, didn’t realize this thread was made.[/font][/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]
[/color][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]At the break of the dance, the Mirthless Colonist silently walks up to the Lady Pillbox, and offers her [/color]his hand,
&quotIf I recall correctly, I requested a dance.&quot[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)] [/color]
[/color][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Pillowbox takes the offered hand.[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]&quotSo you did.&quot [/color]
[/color][color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]He takes her hand with care, as if it were crystal, or scintillack, and puts his other hand on her waist.[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]The first dance, a waltz, Strauss. [/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]They’re the leading pair, they glide across the floor, steps and breaths synchronous and even. She is the very height of poise and grace, he is humbleness itself, and executes his moves perfectly complimentary to hers. Simple boxes, a chassé, a lock, impetus, and a well-timed fleckerl at the centre of the room, as they’d do above in Vienna, [/color]&quotThe marseillaise of the heart&quot, [color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]he whispers into her ear. The song draws toward its coda, the steps linger more, the positioning of his arms become less polite, and more affectionate, he leans her in closer than would be appropriate, and at the conclusion dips her scandalously deep. People clap from all directions.[/color]
&quotI feel like I’m a hundred-and-fifty again! Marvellous, marvellous. You know how to dance, I’ll grant you that.
Perhaps another dance, later?&quot

[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]Pillbox laughs.[/color]
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]&quotSuch charm, I am surprised! It truly has been a delight and I would certainly enjoy another dance later in the evening. Perhaps you might even enjoy a drink with table eleven. A solicited one.&quot [/color]

&quotI’m always happy to enjoy alcoholic beverages at others’ expense.&quot [color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]A snarky and mischievous tone is in his voice,[/color]
&quotI’ll now refresh myself briefly, however. Bandages aren’t really fit for dancing, I’ll spare you the teasing details of being a Tomb-Colonist.&quot
[color=rgb(194, 194, 194)]He makes another bow, places his forehead against the palm of her hand -an act which, in the Tomb-Colonies, is done as to avoid having to uncoil bandages about the mouth-region- and briefly excuses himself.[/color]
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 11/2/2016

Krawald, medium height, with long auburn hair, a white suit and a harlequin mask, leads Ryan, a skinny man with a rose mask onto the dance floor just as the orchestra is starting a lively march. Krawald leads Ryan into a jolly two-step, and though Ryan’s execution is not always perfect, both dancers’ joyous mood is catching.

Ryan, at first uneasy, gradually loosens himself. The music swells, and look! Almost a perfect pirouette-- that is, until he fell flat on his bottom. The dance hall explodes into laughter, and Ryan laughs loudest of all. With a helping hand from Krawald, they continue dancing once again.

The Mirthless Colonist claps at the endearing performance.
&quotSuch youth! Such chipper dandies!&quot

The music ends, and Krawald asks loudly: “I know they are a bit old fashioned, but I still enjoy a nice squaredance now and then. Will anybody join us?”

“Did I hear square dance?”

(The band begrudgingly starts to play a lively square dancing jig. They do quite well for a string quartet, even if the cellist twitches slightly on every high note. The violist looks ready to inflict violence against anyone who says &quotdosado&quot.)
edited by pillbox on 11/4/2016

Ryan, never one to disappoint, immediately said “Let’s dosado!”

“Good of you to join us, clockperson. An impressive costume, by the way. Is there another name you are known by? I am Krawald, and the young fellow here is Ryan.”

“Dirae Erinyes at your pleasure. Now all we need is a fourth or it well just be a triangle dance.”
(The sound of cave crickets fills the air.)

“Well, perhaps the colonist over there would like to join us? Their earlier performance was quite impressive.”

Dessert seems to have gotten away from the cooks.

Ryan bows at Dirae. “The more the merrier my dear; why we could turn this into an octagon dance if we know what we’re doing!” He laughs like an idiot. Nobody else is. He doesn’t seem to care.

&quotI’ll go and ask at other tables if anyone wants to join us.&quot
edited by Loon on 11/4/2016

“Good idea.”

Maria walks on the dance floor and starts looking for a partner. &quotNoone to dance with…&quot[li]

Dirae Erinyes waves over to Maria.
“Come join our square dance! Plenty of partners here.”

Krawald comes back to the dance floor. “I see you have found a fourth, how lovely. Let the music commence!”