Grinding Connections

If the costs don’t bother you, I recommend trading 1000 Souls and 100 Contracts for 500 change points in Society, Church and Constables. Plus other benefits. It’s the best way of increasing connections I know of.

If the costs don’t bother you, I recommend trading 1000 Souls and 100 Contracts for 500 change points in Society, Church and Constables. Plus other benefits. It’s the best way of increasing connections I know of.[/quote]

Do you know if it increases magnanimous above 16 or so?

It does not.

What this gentleman said.

If the costs don’t bother you, I recommend trading 1000 Souls and 100 Contracts for 500 change points in Society, Church and Constables. Plus other benefits. It’s the best way of increasing connections I know of.[/quote]

Choosing the option to spend a mere 5 and 50 is far more efficient, as far as connections go. Costs 1/20th the resources, but gives nearly as much connections.

Well, 1/20 of the resources, and gives 1/10 of the connections.

But you’re right - I mostly play that option for its other benefit. The connections are just a nice side-effect.

I apologize for reviving such an old topic, but this seems like the best place to ask. What is the best way to gain/grind Society connections early on (prior to PoSI)? I know there’s a nice Opportunity card for it, but I just can’t seem to draw it for the life of me. :-/

EDIT: Note that I can’t use the Carnival because I don’t have the special Quality for that option; said Quality only unlocks at Connected: Society 8, according to the wiki. :/
edited by Flipz on 2/14/2013

There should be some options later on in Veilgarden’s storylets to increase your Society, but I can’t think of anything off the top of my head for users really early on. The best option to increase it is to attend the Duchess’ Salon at the Shuttered Palace at Persuasive 59.

[quote=Green D]
Factions I haven’t found to be grindable, or at least not easily: Revolutionaries[/quote]

I recall that when I was grinding for proscribed materials within Bugsbys marshes (?) - the fate locked shroom hopping card - this had the side effect of increasing Connected: Revolutionaries. It’s achieved by associating with them rather than racing. A long time ago, so can’t remember how many CPs but I ended on about 100 or so when I’d got my 10k materials for Pages little bonfire (or whatever it does with them…) - I think you got about 9 or 10 materials per action and it’s fully grindable.

[li]Also possible in the Forgotten Quarter by giving a public lecture. raises Bohemian too, but at the cost of Scandal so might not be considered grindable.[/li][li]
edited by Lurkazoid on 11/9/2013

Actually, all you need in order to grind Society connections at the carnival is to be a “Darling of the Ambassador’s Ball”. You pretty much need that quality for all things both to gain and use society connections as I recall, since it marks when you move on from Veilgarden to the Shuttered Palace.

Seeing as to how you can only access the Wry Functionary via card right now, is there any better way of grinding the Great Game now?

The Parliament of Bats card will raise it on failure. Right now I’m raising both Church and Great Game by alternating between the two on their conflict card. You can also go to the Carnival if your connection is really low, and use a Copper Cipher Ring to get it up to 20.

If you are duelling the Black Ribbon, and have a Running Battle of 5+ and Wounds of 2+, I’ve finally found a way to grind Connected: Docks. My poor Clay character is quite set on becoming a rat-catcher and is very pleased to hear it, seeing as the &quotA ship in the night&quot storylet was giving him a net loss in Connected.

recently discovered that a mid-game part of the Nemesis ambition can grind Connected: Bohemian for 10 CP/Action, with no menance/penalties on failure.

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Chat_to_the_other_visitors

but it’s in the chamber of the heart, so you can only go there once?

It’s also outclassed by publishing poetry in praise of the Duchess.

i knew that. i thought i should mention it anyway since it has no penalties on failure. praising the duchess could reduce your connected on failure

Only by 1 point. It’ll take an awful lot of failures to get a net loss of that connection.