Grinding Connections

In anticipation of the upcoming conversions from Connected to Favours/Renown (especially Constables and Hell), have people been grinding their connections? If so, how much? I’ve been trying to increase my connections here and there, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the actions. Thoughts?[li]

Because of the nature of the conversion, it’s generally best to go all in or not at all. The conversion is linear, meaning your final renown level (not CP) is determined by your old connected level. Going from 35-40 renown takes the same amount of connected as 0-5, but 35-40 renown would take much more time to raise than 0-5 after the conversion.

I’m grinding them all up and am (currently) shooting for 371 connected for everything. This was enough for 50 renown Urchins, but probably won’t for Constables/Hell. I don’t care about getting max renown for any of the factions (except Bohemian, which I’ll grind through the roof), so if 371 gets me 40 or 45 that’s fine.

I’ve got 400 Connected Constables, which is the first group I’ve tried to build up in advance. My others are all under 70, though.

Perhaps I ought to turn my efforts to Hell, then?

Hell would likely be the best bet, as if I remember correctly that is the ones that Failbetter intend to update next. Considering how easy they are to grind (by comparison) and how conversion rates are based on an average of all players, I would bet that we will need at least level 500 to get the max conversion level.
edited by Koenig on 2/17/2017

[quote=Koenig]Hell would likely be the best bet, as if I remember correctly that is the ones that Failbetter intend to update next. Considering how easy they are to grind (by comparison) and how conversion rates are based on an average of all players, I would bet that we will need at least level 500 to get the max conversion level.
edited by Koenig on 2/17/2017[/quote]

Hell’s about as easily grindable as Constables (as far as I can tell, the most action-efficient way for both is using a Gang of Hoodlums to get Casing in the Flit) - do you recommend building up Constables to 500 too?

[li]

[quote=Koenig]Hell would likely be the best bet, as if I remember correctly that is the ones that Failbetter intend to update next. Considering how easy they are to grind (by comparison) and how conversion rates are based on an average of all players, I would bet that we will need at least level 500 to get the max conversion level.

They said that the constables were next(you can try to dig the thread out but it will take a while).

[quote=DonaghyLogan][quote=Koenig]Hell would likely be the best bet, as if I remember correctly that is the ones that Failbetter intend to update next. Considering how easy they are to grind (by comparison) and how conversion rates are based on an average of all players, I would bet that we will need at least level 500 to get the max conversion level.

Hell’s about as easily grindable as Constables (as far as I can tell, the most action-efficient way for both is using a Gang of Hoodlums to get Casing in the Flit) - do you recommend building up Constables to 500 too?[/quote]
I would assume so, but you know what they say about assumptions. Depending on how high a level they set the conversion at, 500 may not even be enough; I raised my urchin connections well above what I thought they would set the conversion to, and was woefully disappointed when I fell short of the 50 Renown mark by several levels, permanently locking me out of the honor forever.

[quote=The Master][quote=Koenig]Hell would likely be the best bet, as if I remember correctly that is the ones that Failbetter intend to update next. Considering how easy they are to grind (by comparison) and how conversion rates are based on an average of all players, I would bet that we will need at least level 500 to get the max conversion level.

They said that the constables were next(you can try to dig the thread out but it will take a while).[/quote]
I did a little bit of digging and found the post, you are correct.

[quote=Absintheuse][color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]
We’re also hoping to add in the Urchins faction to the Favours / Renown system this year, followed by the Constables and then the Devils (no confirmed date for these yet).[/color][/quote]

How expensive is it to get from 40 to 50 renown? Or is it actually impossible?

Might be impossible, unless its watchful I think you’ll need to specialize in the relevant stat.

In both destiny and presence, to boot. I’m sure they’ll all be possible eventually- but eventually is quite plausibly years off.

The expense isn’t so bad. Around 15 echoes per turn-in that nets 28cp, and that doesn’t scale.

The problem is the stat requirement. Going from Renown N to N+1 requires one of your primary stats be 6N. In other words, getting Renown 50 requires you to get one of your stats to 496=294. Consider how hard Courier’s Footprint is (which requires Watchful 300), and then realize that Watchful is actually the easiest stat to boost so high.

Someone summarized the possibilities at one point. If I remember right, 294 is literally impossible for one stat (probably Dangerous). And outside of Watchful, getting the other two to 294 requires either a Destiny or POSI specialization or both. And this is assuming access to Fate-locked best-in-slot equipment.

This may get slightly easier as more factions get converted, and +10 equipment becomes available to more stats in more slots. Maybe.

[quote=Kaijyuu]Because of the nature of the conversion, it’s generally best to go all in or not at all. The conversion is linear, meaning your final renown level (not CP) is determined by your old connected level. Going from 35-40 renown takes the same amount of connected as 0-5, but 35-40 renown would take much more time to raise than 0-5 after the conversion.

I’m grinding them all up and am (currently) shooting for 371 connected for everything. This was enough for 50 renown Urchins, but probably won’t for Constables/Hell. I don’t care about getting max renown for any of the factions (except Bohemian, which I’ll grind through the roof), so if 371 gets me 40 or 45 that’s fine.[/quote]
It’s worth noting that there are break points that it’s nice to meet, even if you aren’t up for grinding 400 levels- because the renown-per-favor doubles there, some of them are very convenient to skip. None are as high-magnitude as the levels from 40 to 50, but it’s harder to get from 14 to 15 than 15 to 17.

Given the really high numbers needed for even renown 15, I’d suggest someone not stop there and get 225 more connected levels for renown 40. 'Cause seriously, renown 15 would require… 146 levels of connected? Using the most recent Urchins conversion and if my napkin math is right. If I were at 146 and not willing to grind more, I’d totally cash that in and just eat the full renown grind. Or bite the bullet and get 225 more connected levels (roughly 1/3 the way there already).

EDIT: My napkin math is totally off but you still get the idea.
edited by Kaijyuu on 2/17/2017

I found the conversion formula on an old forum post: R = (C-21)/x (R is Renown, C is Connected, x is determined by the Connected levels of various players). x was 7 for Urchins, as I recall. As we’ve had more time to prepare for Constables and Hell, I’d expect x to equal at least 8.

421 sounds like a good breaking point for Constables, to me. If x=8, then you get to 50 Renown; if x=10 (whatever-deity-or-universe-governing-force-you-believe-in forbid), you still achieve 40 Renown.

Does this sound like a good analysis to people?

Well, the thing is, the conversion formula is based on how high people have their connections. So if a bunch of people get their connected all the way to 421, then it probably won’t translate to 50 renown. We saw this happen with Urchins, since we were expecting an x of 5 or 6, and got 7. It’ll probably be worse for constables, since it’s just a race to be at the top and constables is easier to grind.
To be honest, it’s kind of a tragedy of the commons. People want to be at the top so they can get 40 or 50 renown, and they just make it harder and harder for themselves and everybody else.
I’m not even going to bother grinding hell or constables. I learned my lesson with Urchins, when I spent 1.5 weeks or so to try to get some renown. I did succeed. I got 5 renown. Which I could have gotten by spending a couple actions at Mrs. Plenty’s carnival after the switch. Yada yada yada, I’ve ranted about this before.
But in any case, I think that it’s probably wrong to assume any number of connections will translate to 40 or 50 renown. Take part in the ratrace, and try to be one of the people with the most when the switch happens. I wish you luck.

[quote=DonaghyLogan] x was 7 for Urchins, as I recall. As we’ve had more time to prepare for Constables and Hell, I’d expect x to equal at least 8.
[/quote]

IIRC, urchins were originally announced near the end of 2015. At least I remember prioritizing grinding urchin connections during early 2016 because of an announcement like that.

But I expect that the conversions will be based on something like “make sure that exactly 50% players will end up with renown 20 or less”, which means that everyone aiming high just pushes the target higher. And there will be many players with constables/hell in the upper hundreds, if not thousands …

I personally think it is utter nonsense that the conversion formulas are based on player average; a persons relation to the denizens of various faction should not be diminished because other have similar aspirations.

I don’t think that FBG have ever claimed they are using the average. Just that they base this on the distribution among characters.

Taking into account where others stand makes sense when moving from an unbound number (you can raise Connected as high as you want), to a bound range (Renown is capped at 50, so this represents the most known it’s possible to be with a faction. So it has to take into account where others are in relation to that faction).

I don’t think that FBG have ever claimed they are using the average. Just that they base this on the distribution among characters.

Taking into account where others stand makes sense when moving from an unbound number (you can raise Connected as high as you want), to a bound range (Renown is capped at 50, so this represents the most known it’s possible to be with a faction. So it has to take into account where others are in relation to that faction).[/quote]

I agree with you. anyway, I’ll increase my connected: constables as far as I can until the conversion, but it’s the only faction I’ll bother with that.