Grindable Materials for Lacre?

Delicious friends, I am now looking forward to the Christmas season and the nice lodgings that the season brings. Apologies for the way too early questions but I’m rather spent after going for a picnic with a lovely couple at a certain forgotten cave and I want to at least stock up on Notability and other requirements as early as possible.

My questions are:

1. What are the grindable materials for making Lacre?
  2. What are the best ways grinding them?

I have heard whispered secrets within the forum that Storm Threnodies and Night Whispers are two such materials.

No. The Dreadful Surmise is the most useful item for grinding The Taste of Lacre. Second most important is the Semiotic Monocle. Also, Tears of the Bazaar, especially if you’re going all out for your Noman.

I’m sure there’s a Neathmas guide hidden somewhere on the wiki or one of the FL tumblrs. I’ll post it here if I find it.
[b][color=000000]
:edit: St Arthur’s Candle never disappoints.

And here’s the one about Nomen.
[/color][/b]

Pyrodinium, you were right after all about Storm-Threnodies and Night-Whispers!
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 11/7/2015

No. The Dreadful Surmise is the most useful item for grinding The Taste of Lacre. Second most important is the Semiotic Monocle. Also, Tears of the Bazaar, especially if you’re going all out for your Noman.

I’m sure there’s a Neathmas guide hidden somewhere on the wiki or one of the FL tumblers. I’ll post it here if I find it.[/quote]
Storm-threnodies and night whispers can purchase buckets of so-called snow, which is generally useful, if not worth the price. If you only care to have one or two 5 card lodgings, you might want to save the money though- there is very little benefit in another 5-card lodging, once you have your first.

Thank you for the advice delicious friends. This candle sure knows a lot of secrets of the Neath. I shall bookmark their tumblr for future references.

Look here.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 11/8/2015

IS THERE IS THERE IS THERE A SEA MORE SUNLESS

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]Some important things that come to mind:

Last year, the price for buying Lacre from urchins went up from 5 Storm-Threnodies to 7 Storm-Threnodies + 1 Night-Whisper. This was unannounced and caught many people by surprise. It is entirely possible that the price may rise again this year.

The Semiotic Monocle, Tears of the Bazaar and the Dreadful Surmise are the only items that will increase your Taste of Lacre (ToL) quality beyond 6.
With only the Monocle, you can’t get further than ToL 8.
With Tears, you can reach ToL 11, but there is a 20% chance of losing your Vial of Tears upon the relevant action.
With a Dreadful Surmise, you can reach unheard-of heights of ToL - there is no known cap. If you’re lucky enough to have one, don’t fret: it is safe. Even if you fail at the relevant action, it won’t devour the Surmise.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 11/7/2015[/quote]

I might go for ToL 8. I finally gave in and bought that fancy Monocle (this item should have + Respectable for its extreme fanciness!) So my target would be at least 21 Storm Threnodies and 3 Night Whispers for three pails (I assume &quotTime&quot will give me a free pail).

More or less. The option is &quotPail of Snow or Incarnadine Fur-Robe&quot. The Robe is Fate-locked.
I can’t recall for how many weeks Time will bring Snow, but it should be at least four.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 11/7/2015

[quote=Rupho Schartenhauer]
How do I get a Dreadful Surmise? With 500 Spirit of Hallowmas! Currently, the DS can only be obtained at Hallowmas and the Feast of the Exceptional Rose (which is quaintly called Valentine’s by surfacers).
[/quote]

I believe you can also get one from inviting the Captivating Princess to your salon, which can be done at any time during the year, but costs 1 Fate. That’s how I got mine, at least.

Ah, very well. Thank you for the information! Though you probably should’ve used spoiler tags - discussion of Fate-locked rewards and all that.

By the way, I’m writing a comprehensive Neathmas guide at the moment which will be posted on the Forum shortly. We had informations spread across so many different threads at Hallowmas; I think it would be good to have all the important things in one place for christmas - even though that isn’t remotely as complicated as Hallowmas! ;)
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 11/8/2015

Very nice guide ! So to get the 9 ToL I need for a 5-card Spire-Emporium, I just dip a soul in the bucket until I hit 5 ToL, then I use the Monocle, and then I buy 1 Lacre from the Urchins, that’s it ?

And getting buckets is not an issue, right ?

The urchins will sell you a bucket, not lacre - you’ll need to get to 9 another way, the easiest route being to get to 8ptpt through buckets and then getting a free uncapped point from Mr sacks. Unless you’re aiming for a Norman or loads of lacre for lots of lodgings you should be fine for lacre between the weekly snowfall, sacks cards and possibly the advent calendar.

[quote=Lemexis]Very nice guide ! So to get the 9 ToL I need for a 5-card Spire-Emporium, I just dip a soul in the bucket until I hit 5 ToL, then I use the Monocle, and then I buy 1 Lacre from the Urchins, that’s it ?

And getting buckets is not an issue, right ?[/quote]

Not quite, I’m afraid. To get 9 points, use the monocle on a pail (assuming you have Scholar of the Correspondence 10), dip two souls, and then use the monocle again. That will get you to eight. You then need either a dreadful surmise and high dangerous, huff a tear of the bazaar, or participate in the Sacksmas storylets, which often give taste. The fate locked activities give lots of taste.

Oh, and getting buckets is expensive, so don’t waste them. See other storylets got the details, but you can expect to get four or five (if you don’t choose to send fate on home improvements or the like) from time the healer, and you can buy more from the urchins.
edited by RandomWalker on 11/8/2015

Hm… Alright, thanks. Yes, I have SotC 10, I made sure of that since I already knew it was important for Sackmas.

My only goal here is the Spire-Emporium, so I guess I should be fine if I don’t mess things up.

Do I have to do something special to get the ToL from Mr Sacks ? Or do I just wait for a storylet (part of the 12 days ?) ?

And what’s a Norman anyway ?

The various Sacks appear in cards, one for each of the twelve days. Only certain options on each card give Taste and others may give valuable rewards or nothing at all. I’d recommend looking them up before doing them, and if you plan on siding with a faction using Fate then check which rewards you’ll miss out on by choosing the special faction options on two days.

A Noman is a lacre-golem of your very own which gives a few items on death, or on completion of its storyline, and if alive unlocks a bragging rights tattoo option at the Feast of the Rose.
edited by Optimatum on 11/8/2015

To make the most of the Mr Sacks options in terms of lacre, you’ll want a magnificent diamond, consonant violin and a few other bits and bobs - you can see which options raise taste on the wiki. You will also gain a significant boost in taste by picking a side for the investigation (requires fate), but as Optimatum says you’ll miss out on an item or a couple of points of connected: masters.

The Noman (curse you autocorrect!), if properly nurtured, can yield a rare item, but it is also a lovely and moving story with some rather tasty bits of lore included. If you aren’t trying to keep it alive until the Feast then you should be able to acquire enough lacre for both it and a spire emporium.

[quote=RandomWalker][quote=Lemexis]Very nice guide ! So to get the 9 ToL I need for a 5-card Spire-Emporium, I just dip a soul in the bucket until I hit 5 ToL, then I use the Monocle, and then I buy 1 Lacre from the Urchins, that’s it ?

And getting buckets is not an issue, right ?[/quote]

Not quite, I’m afraid. To get 9 points, use the monocle on a pail (assuming you have Scholar of the Correspondence 10), dip two souls, and then use the monocle again. That will get you to eight. You then need either a dreadful surmise and high dangerous, huff a tear of the bazaar, or participate in the Sacksmas storylets, which often give taste. The fate locked activities give lots of taste.

Oh, and getting buckets is expensive, so don’t waste them. See other storylets got the details, but you can expect to get four or five (if you don’t choose to send fate on home improvements or the like) from time the healer, and you can buy more from the urchins.
edited by RandomWalker on 11/8/2015[/quote]
4 from time-the-healer, one from the christmas gifts if last two years are anything to go by, and potentially 2 from master’s sacks and as much as you can draw from the urchins.