Got my Overgoat! (was: Almost got my Overgoat!)

[i]"There’s an Overgoat-herder down at Failbetter Games forum who claims you can render Terror Tales into Coruscating Souls on any kitchen stove. I have tried it. I have a box of wasted black lenses to show for it. Thirteen of my Fidgeting Writers tried to view a Mourning Candle through the lenses when I left them unobserved a moment too long. The one that lives is locked in Carrywell’s sanitarium now. I do not expect they will ever dare to release him.

I have developed a dislike of Overgoat-herders."[/i]

At last! Though it cost me six or seven of my prettiest souls, not to mention half a life-time’s worth of gossip and slander - THE OVERGOAT! Fallen London

[quote=Passionario][i]"There’s an Overgoat-herder down at Failbetter Games forum who claims you can render Terror Tales into Coruscating Souls on any kitchen stove. I have tried it. I have a box of wasted black lenses to show for it. Thirteen of my Fidgeting Writers tried to view a Mourning Candle through the lenses when I left them unobserved a moment too long. The one that lives is locked in Carrywell’s sanitarium now. I do not expect they will ever dare to release him.

I have developed a dislike of Overgoat-herders."[/i][/quote]

One of eight black lenses was successful for me, making the whole venture rather unprofitable.

I, too, am Overgoated. Have been for months.

Also, Publisher of “The Salubrious Intelligencer” (Unscrewing the Inscrutable since 1866!)

My current “success” rate with black lenses is two out of twenty-one.

What time of day do you make your attempts?

[quote=esrtweet]I, too, am Overgoated. Have been for months.

Also, Publisher of “The Salubrious Intelligencer” (Unscrewing the Inscrutable since 1866!)[/quote]
I put you on the list, but switched up your letters in your name. This has since been amended.
Also, apparently you are some kind of well known programming person who is famous for computer things. I just knew you from Fallen London. Funny.

“Computer things?” Perhaps you have confused me with Charles Babbage. He was a rum cove, to be sure; full of ideas but always in debt - rather like a Frenchman, what? I heard him discourse on his peculiar engines any number of times when I was a young man, but never touched 'em myself.

Finally decided my hoarding had gone to extremes when I went to check my numbers and found out that if I sold off every non-equipment item I owned I could actually buy two Overgoats. So I have finally made the plunge and purchased an Overgoat. I sold off things that are easily replaced or for which I had no real use…it feels very strange to suddenly have none of so many things.

I’ve finally finished my own grind through the Fidgeting Writer story. It took an age, but I have my own numbers to add to Vyrlokar’s.

688x Tales of Terror yielded 494x Sense of Deja Vu: 71% ± 3%
496x Sense of Deja Vu yielded 361x Glimpse of Something Larger: 72% ± 3%
361x Glimpse of Something Larger yielded 251x Deal with a Devil: 69% ± 4%
251x Deal with a Devil yielded 150x Room Number at the Royal Beth: 59% ± 6%
149x Room Number at the Royal Beth yielded 82x Last Hope of a Fidgeting Writer: 55% ± 8%
82x Last Hope of a Fidgeting Writer yielded 47x Lens of Black Glass: 57% ± 10%
47x Lens of Black Glass yielded 26x Coruscating Soul: 55% ± 14%

(All intervals are at the 95% confidence level)

I also have my own reflections on this storyline: I love the luck based challenge of it! My first try, I made it as far as the Deal with a Devil, and as I had realized it was a double-or-nothing, each stage was a nerve wracking experience. As advertised, the story is one of chance that drives the inhabitants of Fallen London mad. After that, I decided to grind for it. And I must say, I’m pleased with how it turned out.

Now, I admit there’s a little voice whispering in the back of my mind that the luck based challenges aren’t purely luck. It would be difficult to confirm, but I suspect some of the folks at FBG got a bit creative and included the Time of Day as a factor of the odds of success. It would be so very delightfully cruel of them.

You aren’t the first to suspect that time of day affects matters. I remember someone arguing quite passionately about that sometime last year. She didn’t have conclusive evidence of it, but she thought that it was worth investigating further. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether she got anywhere with it.

[quote=Eben]I’ve finally finished my own grind through the Fidgeting Writer story. It took an age, but I have my own numbers to add to Vyrlokar’s.

688x Tales of Terror yielded 494x Sense of Deja Vu: 71% ± 3%
496x Sense of Deja Vu yielded 361x Glimpse of Something Larger: 72% ± 3%
361x Glimpse of Something Larger yielded 251x Deal with a Devil: 69% ± 4%
251x Deal with a Devil yielded 150x Room Number at the Royal Beth: 59% ± 6%
149x Room Number at the Royal Beth yielded 82x Last Hope of a Fidgeting Writer: 55% ± 8%
82x Last Hope of a Fidgeting Writer yielded 47x Lens of Black Glass: 57% ± 10%
47x Lens of Black Glass yielded 26x Coruscating Soul: 55% ± 14%

(All intervals are at the 95% confidence level)

I also have my own reflections on this storyline: I love the luck based challenge of it! My first try, I made it as far as the Deal with a Devil, and as I had realized it was a double-or-nothing, each stage was a nerve wracking experience. As advertised, the story is one of chance that drives the inhabitants of Fallen London mad. After that, I decided to grind for it. And I must say, I’m pleased with how it turned out.

Now, I admit there’s a little voice whispering in the back of my mind that the luck based challenges aren’t purely luck. It would be difficult to confirm, but I suspect some of the folks at FBG got a bit creative and included the Time of Day as a factor of the odds of success. It would be so very delightfully cruel of them.[/quote]
I’ve added your numbers to mine. You can check that on my sig.

As for including the time of the day, I often realized that sometimes, I would get loads of back to back successes or failures…

Count me among the ranks of the overgoated.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/StickFigureMan
The grind for coruscating souls felt like descending into madness. (Echoing very prettily what my character was feeling.) How long have I worked on it? Weeks? Months? I can’t remember. I lost my mind; I lost my life. At one point I walked away from it all and found myself in the middle of the Unterzee, with no destination, just needing to get away. But even there I couldn’t stop reading Tales of Terror.
From time to time I would go to the Bazaar and discard possessions at random, just flinging them away, anything to get me a little bit closer.
Now I have an overgoat. I can’t even remember why I wanted one. Oh yes: To keep an eye on it. What was I thinking?
I’m going to go lie down for a while.

As you wish.

Boat rides. And for the ten certifiable scraps a go!

I think I only got my Overgoat to make his name a terrible pun: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aspeon

Now I need to figure out if I should start collecting scraps to get a Starstone-Demark when the Watchful cap goes up or spend more time at chess. Or maybe I’ll just take a break for a while.

It is done. Your name is known.

there is always the bragging rights, it’s as good an excuse as any.

I have one, too, now.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Timotheus

Boat rides. And for the ten certifiable scraps a go![/quote]
10 certifiable scraps? How?

Your Overgoat opportunity card.