Gonna need a lot of Lacre. Help?

Okay, so I’m planning on getting two of the 5 card houses this Cristmas. Thing is, I need a LOT of lacre for this. Like a LOT of lacre. Advice?

read the wiki for the master’s cards, and plan ahead accordingly. (Assuming no min-maxing- like swaping to celestial school and notary career, and that you choose to help mr. sacks, you get 2 points lacre and 1 bucket of snow with optimal choices. With single-minded focus on lacre and so-called-snow, you get 5 points and 2 buckets, assuming an optimal planned setup.)

If you’re lucky, there’ll be 5 pails of free lacre again, which should be enough to reach 8 with two points from other sources, and 7 with none outside of the pails, once you’ve bought the 8 lacre option. (So hold onto the pails.) If that’s not enough, you can buy more pails of so called snow for 1 night whisper and 7 storm-threnodies, or at least that was the price last year. (150 echoes for +3 points lacre at any point between 1 and 5, and 1 point after that on the right options. really expensive, but an option. I’ll be doing it, but I have a thing for Tears, which you can get in the nadir for 7 irrigo.) You’ll have enough to aquire 9 points of lacre and 7 points, but not enough to reach 8 and 9 without another free pail, or a single min-maxing choice, like swapping to the school of the celestials, or becoming a notary/doctor, or betraying mr. sacks on day 12. or perhaps a fate-locked option… but i wouldn’t know. never did any of them.

tears of the bazaar are a really pricey, and difficult to get, option, but they go all the way up to 11 (though you need 1 point to start using them), and they average 5 points lacre before you lose them- pricey, but if you’ll need the lodging this year, perhaps worthwhile regardless. (if you want to cap melancholy, they’re good for that as well, which might lower the effective price, since you’re improving two things at once.)
edited by Grenem on 11/8/2015

Night whispers: either play the fidgeting writer and cash out at the last hope, or run a bunch of expeditions in the forgotten quarter.

Storm threnodies: use a gang of hoodlums to steal journals of infamy and cross convert until you have correspondence plaques then convert up to threnodies.

Favorable circumstances: get a lot of good bdr gear then grind to notability seven (or eight if you don’t have someone who will pass you notability back)

Connected the urchins: buy and use a rookery password. It consumes reprehensible lizards.

Lizards: just get them at the bazaar, why not.

Tears of the bazaar: either convert up wine you get from affair of the box, or run a lot of expeditions. I recommend expeditions as its a great way to get night whispers at the same time. Requires use of the presumptuous opportunity card.

Pails of lacre: purchased from the urchins card in December for one night whisper, seven storm threnodies, and some cp urchins.

Magnificent diamonds: I like to get these from the implausible penance card option pugilism and politics. Requires a good amount of criminal connection.

First sporing wine: get a few bottles of this from the Mr wines sale card’s mystery box option.

Consonant violin: get this from marks of credit earned from the numatrix card that shows up when your counting the days quality has a value of fourteen.

Profession: become a Doctor or Notary, it’s seasonally appropriate.

Snowbound: clear the path to your lodgings and earn one free Lacre pail per week.

12 days of Mr sacks. Try to get your ptpt lacre high before starting the 12 days which gives uncapped ptpt from some of its options. You will need first sporing wine, magnificent diamonds, a consonant violin, and a doctor or notary profession to get the most out of this.

Bucket your way to 8 ptpt from zero: use a semiotic monocle on a pail of lacre to get ptpt 3. Next dunk a soul twice to get to ptpt 5. Now use the monocle to get ptpt 8.

Tears of the bazaar can take you from 8 to 11. If you need to go higher than 11 that requires you use a dreadful surmise (fate storyline item) on a pail of lacre. Or if you get to 8 or 11 PPT using either pails or tears before starting the 12 days you can get higher ptpt total.

Fate: the fate stories available from the 12 days of Mr sacks give some amount of spare ptpt lacre.
edited by NiteBrite on 11/8/2015

This is all useful advice. As a Non-POSI, I am worried about how I’ll find some of these items, but I’ll figure something out.

I do have a question, though. Do I need the 4 card version of the house to get the 5 card, or can I just grind Lacre to 8 and get the 5 card house?

Nitebrite’s list looks like an ideal summary of the requirements to get the absolute most from the season. The only thing that I can see missing is that you need Scholar of the Correspondence 10 to be certain of getting the most from your pails of so-called snow.

You need the four card lodging already if you want to upgrade to five card.

[quote=NiteBrite]
Tears of the bazaar can take you from 8 to 11. If you need to go higher than 11 that requires you use a dreadful surmise (fate storyline item) on a pail of lacre. Or if you get to 8 or 11 PPT using either pails or tears before starting the 12 days you can get higher ptpt total.

Fate: the fate stories available from the 12 days of Mr sacks give some amount of spare ptpt lacre.
edited by NiteBrite on 11/8/2015[/quote]
The dreadful surmise is also availible as a top-teir reward at hallowmas, and a 1-time-per-account event during the feast of roses, as well as, according to legend, a 1-chance rare success on a certain early-game storyline about devils. It’s not exclusively fate-locked.

Don’t forget, you don’t need to reach 9+8=17 points lacre, you need to be able to acheive 9 then 8 lacre, which is easier. a bucket of so-called-snow, after all, is 3 points lacre for the first two uses, if you use it early like you should. 4 buckets in reserve and 9 points lacre will be sufficient for your purposes. (or a single vial of tears and 2 buckets, which is cheaper most of the time.) to reach 17, meanwhile, would be damn near impossible for a similar price.

[quote=th8827]This is all useful advice. As a Non-POSI, I am worried about how I’ll find some of these items, but I’ll figure something out.

I do have a question, though. Do I need the 4 card version of the house to get the 5 card, or can I just grind Lacre to 8 and get the 5 card house?[/quote]
You need the 4-card house to get the 5-card, but you have 2 months. That may not be long enough to get two and prepare properly, but it should be enough time to get 1- more than one is just playing one-of-each, anyways. using optimal choices for the cheapest options availible should be enough to get you to 7 in time… and:

the one that costs 7 is also the best one to get, since it has a discount availible to non-posi that just requires a certain, pricy, item- antique mysteries. you’ll even get five free from your trade secret before christmas is over. just 45 more to go after that. of course, i didn’t get it my first go-through, but i also wasn’t really, seriously, trying. i just assumed i couldn’t and acted accordingly. (plus, my account was made like, nov. 22) that said, you need about 625 echoes in a certain item to get the 4-card- if you get it by linear grinding, that’ll take a long time and be quite expensive, if you get it by blind wandering followed by throwing money at it, it’ll be more expensive- so look into the best way for you to get antique mysteries.
edited by Grenem on 11/8/2015

My list is definitely overkill for your purposes. But these are all ways in which one can get lots of lacre. I forgot about needing SoTC 10, good catch. And thanks for the dreadful surmise sources listing. My advice on lacre is more focused on people who need a truly staggering amount of ptpt lacre. The noman grind takes almost an entire year of preparations to complete.

[quote=Grenem]
You need the 4-card house to get the 5-card, but you have 2 months. That may not be long enough to get two and prepare properly, but it should be enough time to get 1- more than one is just playing one-of-each, anyways. using optimal choices for the cheapest options availible should be enough to get you to 7 in time… and:

the one that costs 7 is also the best one to get, since it has a discount availible to non-posi that just requires a certain, pricy, item- antique mysteries. you’ll even get five free from your trade secret before christmas is over. just 45 more to go after that. of course, i didn’t get it my first go-through, but i also wasn’t really, seriously, trying. i just assumed i couldn’t and acted accordingly. (plus, my account was made like, nov. 22) that said, you need about 625 echoes in a certain item to get the 4-card- if you get it by linear grinding, that’ll take a long time and be quite expensive, if you get it by blind wandering followed by throwing money at it, it’ll be more expensive- so look into the best way for you to get antique mysteries.
edited by Grenem on 11/8/2015[/quote]
My ultimate goal is the Brass Embassy suite, but that one seems like the most complicated one to get in a short time, since it requires several item conversions on top of the base item Grinding… I already have My Own Infernal Contract (by accident), and I’m nervous about losing it by next year’s Christmas…
[li][/li][li]
edited by th8827 on 11/8/2015

Don’t worry, it’s very unlikely that you’ll lose your Very Own Infernal Contract in that time. On the off chance you happen to do so, however, there’s a seasonal (and free) way to sell your soul during the Christmas event on your Brass Embassy’s card The Western Tower.

I was a non-POSI last Sackmas, but as I picked up all three Remote locations I must have acquired 9 taste of lacre in some disorganized fashion (though perhaps I held 7 max at a time) So one 5-card lodging is definitely doable, though I didn’t get a 4 card one myself long after I became a POSI.

How does one get to 8ptpt from 5, using the monocle? From the wiki it caps at 6.

How does one get to 8ptpt from 5, using the monocle? From the wiki it caps at 6.[/quote]

According to the wiki, one can exceed the limit of 6 PTPT using the monocle as long as one does not have 6 PTPT yet. So 5+3=8 is possible.

How does one get to 8ptpt from 5, using the monocle? From the wiki it caps at 6.[/quote]

According to the wiki, one can exceed the limit of 6 PTPT using the monocle as long as one does not have 6 PTPT yet. So 5+3=8 is possible.[/quote]
yes, exactly. that’s the trick to doing it.

[quote=NiteBrite]
Magnificent diamonds: I like to get these from the implausible penance card option pugilism and politics. Requires a good amount of criminal connection.[/quote]

And by &quotgood amount of criminal connection&quot, you mean 7 favours:criminals?
I prefer getting my diamonds from bazaar sidestreets. Empire adornments turns cryptic clues into flawed diamonds at 1.4 epa, with a 5% chance of one of the 45 flawed being magnificient instead. That gives about 50% chance that a given 20-action run will result in at least once magnificient diamond.
(but if you are doing (non-fate) expeditions, do those first - magnificient diamonds are also possible rewards, not just nightwhispers and airags).

According to the wiki, the Dreadful Surmise option does not consume the Surmise, only the pail of snow. It requires a difficult dangerous challenge but gives one PtPT and an Antique Mystery if successful. Can anyone confirm that this is correct as of last year?

Also, a Surmise can (apparently) be obtained via a certain Fate-locked Salon guest.

Yes, it is. Also, have a look at this post.

Yep, I saw that and wanted to post that information here as well.

I’d like to ask a bit of advice while this discussion is still relevant. I have 29 Night-Whispers and 211 Storm Threnodies for a total of 29 Pails of Lacre, 11 Tears of the Bazaar, a Magnificent Diamond, a Consonant Violin, and a few crates of First sporing wine. Once I become a Doctor and become someone’s ally for Sacksmas, should I be set for getting a Noman and helping him last until February?