God's Editors and Seeking the Name

This is a completely disinterested remark because I myself do not seek the Name, but I couldn’t avoid noticing a new entry (new at least for me) appeared in the Day with God’s Editors card.
However, more than the entry itself I was puzzled by the requirements: the text says &quotdo not play this branch unless you have the exact number of proscribed material&quot… but the option requires Searing Enigma! So, a mistake or something related to the Seek of the Name that I don’t know?

The branch requires searing enigmas to play but there’s a hidden mystery requirement of materials as well. If you don’t have the right hidden mystery number something presumably terrible happens to you.

I mean nobody has that many enigmas yet but that’s presumably the presumption,
edited by Spacemarine9 on 11/25/2013

Come now Spacemarine, surely something terrible will happen to us with the correct number.

hence the increase in price of the proscribed materials then, I guess?

Well, that makes sense :)

Has anyone wondered whether the number of proscribed material is 0? Because it’s proscribed?

I’m certain it’s not that, as that’s easier rather than harder. I just want people to muse at me.

A multiple of seven?

Zero is a multiple of any number.

Summarizing the speculation from IRC:

There are a number of passages in the Gospel of Matthew that refer to names, seeking, or sevens- 7:7 and 18:21-22 are the most prominent. So folks are thinking either the chapter/verse reference of the passage, or a number referenced therein.

Speaking of which, that raises a lore question- which translation of the Bible should we be using? I know the texts have been revised since the Fall, but would the KJV be the closest to what was in use before those revisions?

[quote=Aspeon]Summarizing the speculation from IRC:

There are a number of passages in the Gospel of Matthew that refer to names, seeking, or sevens- 7:7 and 18:21-22 are the most prominent. So folks are thinking either the chapter/verse reference of the passage, or a number referenced therein.

Speaking of which, that raises a lore question- which translation of the Bible should we be using? I know the texts have been revised since the Fall, but would the KJV be the closest to what was in use before those revisions?[/quote]

I believe God’s Editors and the revisions for the Neath are a reference to the English Revised Version of the Bible. Perhaps the revisions came about instead of the English Revised Version or perhaps it also exists. Other than that, the KJV was the standard.

[quote=MidnightVoyager][quote=Aspeon]Summarizing the speculation from IRC:

Speaking of which, that raises a lore question- which translation of the Bible should we be using? I know the texts have been revised since the Fall, but would the KJV be the closest to what was in use before those revisions?[/quote]

I believe God’s Editors and the revisions for the Neath are a reference to the English Revised Version of the Bible. Perhaps the revisions came about instead of the English Revised Version or perhaps it also exists. Other than that, the KJV was the standard.[/quote]

God’s Editors may very well be a reference to Fallen London’s equivalent of the Revised Version work. Wikipedia notes that the Revised Version was commissioned in 1870; the RV New Testament was published in 1881, the Old Testament in 1885, and the Apocrypha in 1894. However, I suspect that a Revised Version prepared in Fallen London would not be…quite the same as the Revised Version we have. So I’d use the King James Version, for lack of better knowledge of Fallen London’s RV.

Re: The Bible reference in the spoiler tags above:

Matthew 18:21-22 reads, in the King James Version: “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.”

Thanks for mentioning this. I’ve been hard at work on a Zubmarine and haven’t been paying attention to my card deck.