Getting rid of your ship

I’m considering trading in my old tramp steamer for a new vessel. If I were to play the “Get rid of your ship” storylet, would I be sent back to the very beginning of the Buying a Ship story, or just to the point where I choose the ship I want? Specifically, will I have to pay the Fate and/or insane amount of components to repurchase a captain’s license and crew?

Getting rid of a ship in this way takes you back to the point where you pick a ship.

You won’t have to bother with paperwork, supplies and crew again.

Fantastic! Thank you very much.

Now I must consider whether to go for speed, style, or science. Except when I put it that way it’s not that difficult a choice. For Science!

You shall not regret the manufacture of a Zubmarine. There is no finer vessel for exploring the depths of the 'Neath. Oh, the wonders I have seen… And handy in inclement weather, as well!

Actually no, the Swift Zee-Clipper is, rather objectively, the best choice. “Good weather for a Zee-Clipper” is far better than “Submerge” or…I forget the name of the Yacht card. You can read about the merits of each ship on the wiki. The Zubmarine is actually the worst; it only unlocks maybe two good options (the Killing Wind card and the one about the coral cave), while the Zee-Clipper unlocks far more and will get you to your destination faster.

It bothered me too, but such is the way of the world. :(
edited by Little The on 1/13/2012

Oh? Unless I’m just not getting the cards for the clipper, I’m finding the Zubmarine fantastic in that it has many options in the cards, particularly to avoid the weather above which is handy if you’re close to troubled water.
That said, I don’t know how fast the clipper is.

Short answer: the Clipper has the card with the biggest Journey’s End boost - it gets you there quickly. The Zub has cards and options for avoiding or reducing Troubled Waters - it gets you there safely. The Yacht has cards which give bonus items - it gets you there in luxury. As it stands, Troubled Waters isn’t a huge problem - you can easily keep to Calm Seas in a voyage if you’re patient and know which cards to pick. If Troubled Waters were to raise quicker or otherwise become a greater threat (and, who knows, perhaps it will once we’re out of the safe water of the Archipelago), the Zub would be more useful.

All that said, I’ve got a Zub and I’m happy with it - because it’s a dashed Zub! Exploring the Unter-unterzee! What could be finer?

I like my zee-clipper. I really like sailing in real life so I really like the idea of owning my own sailing vessel. A side-note I’m naming my nautical vessel any ideas for a good name?

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Short answer: the Clipper has the card with the biggest Journey’s End boost - it gets you there quickly. The Zub has cards and options for avoiding or reducing Troubled Waters - it gets you there safely. The Yacht has cards which give bonus items - it gets you there in luxury. As it stands, Troubled Waters isn’t a huge problem - you can easily keep to Calm Seas in a voyage if you’re patient and know which cards to pick. If Troubled Waters were to raise quicker or otherwise become a greater threat (and, who knows, perhaps it will once we’re out of the safe water of the Archipelago), the Zub would be more useful.

All that said, I’ve got a Zub and I’m happy with it - because it’s a dashed Zub! Exploring the Unter-unterzee! What could be finer?[/quote]

This, so very much this. Also, it’s useful if you’re going hunting in the deepest reaches for a [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]plated seal (of which, by my count, you’ll ultimately want 4 of to explore all your options with it)[/color].

Since you’ve got to [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]drive up Troubled Waters to 11, it’s useful to use the sub cards to push it back down once you’re done catching the seal[/color]–makes it easier to finish the journey.

Hm. Perhaps, but Troubled Waters can be kept down by other means. I’d recommend keeping an eye on it until you reach Journey’s End 8, then purposefully try to bump Troubled Waters as high as possible while keeping Journey’s End below 9. At that point, you don’t have much farther to go, so it’s less of an issue. And the Clipper, like all the boats, does unlock a few automatic “get out of trouble free” options on some of the FotU cards.

Unfortunately, the Clipper also appears to be the only ship that does not raise any of your reputation qualities, unlike Majestic Pleasure-Yacht or the Zubmarine. Could it possibly be an oversight, or are its other properties deemed to be sufficient to make up for this drawback?

I think it’s on purpose, the Clipper allows for a noticeably faster journey, so it has a clear advantage compared to the others. It just balances the ships a bit more, now that the others have a new bonus.

Darn, I was hoping for a Dreaded bonus. Maybe I will end up investing in a Zub one of these days…

I want an eye patch for when I finally become a clipper captain. A random reward already gave me a pirate hat. These three things things should give you some kind of Dreaded boost, even if not singularly. Sadly the closest thing to an eye patch is the monocle, which is a very different sort of thing.