Gathering Wild Word Items

Gathering materials for a small bag of Legal Documents, and I’m wondering how I can get a bunch of Maniac Prayers and Correspondence Plaque. I have the stats around early PoSI, but haven’t completed it yet.

Well, you could get primordial shrieks and convert them into those. Shrieks are rewarded for obtaining specimens for the labyrinth of tigers, though if you can’t do that content anymore it may be a little more difficult. For the correspondence plaques, you could convert appalling secrets into journals of infamy, and then convert those into correspondence plaques.

I’m currently looking for the Tiger Keeper unfortunetly

Once you finish becoming a PoSI, you can get screams through Unfinished Business in Ladybones Road.

In a cihcken and the egg situation then. Need the Legal Document to finish my Velocipede, so I can finish PoSI

If you’re truly unable to find them any other way, there are some things that you can do.
Firstly: Buy the Shrieks outright and then convert up to Maniac’s Prayers. Not a particularly good solution, but it does exist.
Secondly: (I assume that you’re able to do this, as you’re borderline PoSI) Go to the Flit and steal Journals of Infamy. 50 of those can be converted to 51 Correspondence Plaques. Your choice if you do this or just convert from Prayers, but it’s a more efficient process, bearing in mind that you’re probably buying those shrieks.

Journals of Infamy can also be crafted from Cryptic Clues. When I was close to PosI, I had far more of them than I knew what to do with.

After you meet the Tiger Keeper, Coil 2 of the Labyrinth is an excellent source of Shrieks.

Edit: And if you’ve been collecting Scraps, the Shivering Relicker can get you anywhere on the Wild Words chain.
edited by Aspeon on 3/18/2012

You can also try to get lucky with the item crafting rare successes. The rare success for trading Brilliant Souls for Muscaria Brandy gives you 2 Legal Documents if I recall. There may be others.

[quote=travellersside]If you’re truly unable to find them any other way, there are some things that you can do.
Firstly: Buy the Shrieks outright and then convert up to Maniac’s Prayers. Not a particularly good solution, but it does exist.
Secondly: (I assume that you’re able to do this, as you’re borderline PoSI) Go to the Flit and steal Journals of Infamy. 50 of those can be converted to 51 Correspondence Plaques. Your choice if you do this or just convert from Prayers, but it’s a more efficient process, bearing in mind that you’re probably buying those shrieks.[/quote]

A person who’s just becoming a PoSI is likely to have a low enough shadowy to fail most of the time on that. I know he gets the journals anyway, but failure drops the casing quality more, so I’m not sure this would be the best option available. I know I was swimming in appalling secrets when I was at that stage, so at that level it may be faster to get the journals via converting secrets.

There are a couple of options in the University that give you Primordial Shrieks, without the need for Person of Some Importance status. Choosing to Read a Book when Enjoying the pace of academic life gives you a paltry 20 Primordial Shrieks, but is available without having to increase the Term. Or when you finally get around to Doing some Teaching you can do some Introductory Lecturing, which will give you a far more satisfying 42 Primordial Shrieks.

If you’ve already been excommunicated from Church of Higher Learning, then I’m afraid I do not know how to help you.

Already managed to get what I needed, but just for people who are in my situation later on, Coil 2 of the Labyrinth has a storylet that gives 50 Shrieks, as long as you are doing the main quest line there and at the right point.

Polythreme grants you a number of maniac prayers on a faliure.

Hmm. True. Apparently we’ll be able to get there without a ship at some point in the nearish future, so that could even be viable.

Some of the Unfinished Business options don’t actually require you to be a PoSI to do them. The option for Shrieks is one of them.

At least, that’s how I did it. :)

EDIT Upon further inspection, it appears that this is not currently true. Strange, I know they were available to me when I was grinding for my Velocipede.
edited by T.W.O. Chandler on 3/20/2012