[Game] The Game of Skyglass and Scarab [Round 1]

[quote=Patrick Reding][quote=Timotheus]Username: Timotheus
Character name: Jules Vermin
…[/quote]

Nice character, but do you really want to roll up a rat? They don’t come back from the dead like humans do.[/quote]

We already have one player who supposedly kills permanently, don’t see why we can’t have a player who dies permanently regardless as well. I personally find his character fascinating.

[quote=Urthdigger][quote=Patrick Reding][quote=Timotheus]Username: Timotheus
Character name: Jules Vermin
…[/quote]

Nice character, but do you really want to roll up a rat? They don’t come back from the dead like humans do.[/quote]

We already have one player who supposedly kills permanently, don’t see why we can’t have a player who dies permanently regardless as well. I personally find his character fascinating.[/quote]

I assumed we were going by black ribbon rules and who ever lost the duel died for real. Was I mistaken?

The way I had planned it, was that you where allowed only one death, permanent or not, and after that you where out of the game. It’s all in good fun, so not permanent death is enforced, as to not interfere with anyones headcanon, as I expected many people to play their actual game characters.

I think Jules Vermin is a splendid character, and It’s good to see someone do something different.
Timotheus even included a part of his character to act similar to death which would count as his expulsion from the game, in the form of an eject system from the robot dog he is piloting.

Lastly, I was planning on starting this once we hit 8 contestants. Theres no real reason for this to be necessary, other than the game I am ripping off used that number, But I personally would not mind waiting if no one else does.
This is a long term commitment regardless, if anyone was hoping to join the game and be done in a month, then, unless you lose the first round, this isn’t really the game for you.

I’d like to give it until I have more consistent internet access (about January 9th) and then maybe we’ll start with however many people we have, if everyones in agreement on not waiting for 8.

That’s sounds fine, thanks for clearing it up!

I would be interested in this, might take a few days for me to get a character description together, but it’ll certainly be before the 9th.

I can wait the adventures of the neathy aristocracy are keeping me quite entertained.

Well look at that, I found some time. :)

Username: elvor

Character Name: The Imposter
Gender: Do those of The Imposter’s race have a gender? That’s for it to know, and you to never find out.
Race: Snuffer
Colour: [color=#cc0099]Purple[/color]
Weapon: The Imposter changes weapons to suit its disguise, favouring its Poison-tipped Umbrella for reasons of stealth.
Abilities: The Imposter is a master of disguise, as are all Snuffers. Changing faces to blend in and to terrify, it uses stealth, guile and fearsome close-combat abilities to reach and remove its target.
Description: Snuffers are stealers of faces, and so The Imposter may look like any of those in the Neath. It has a varied wardrobe of many styles in order to blend in better. Physically, it is slender, so as to pass as male or female, and of medium height (of course). Personality wise, when not actively impersonating someone else The Imposter is calm, collected and when pressed to speak trades barbed quips with those conversing with it. It enjoys the finer things in life, mostly alone, and along with a copious quantity of candles.
Biography: The Imposter has been an active player in the Neath for the last few years, and has gained a certain reputation among those in certain circles. If someone needs… removing… from a situation quietly and relatively permanently, The Imposter will provide that service. Occasionally, The Imposter will also lower itself to steal heavily guarded items, if the price is right. The Imposter has taken down many targets over the years, usually stealing the faces of those targets as well, ensuring a trip to the tomb colonies and a new disguise. Numbered among its disguises are two bishops, several politicians, a lady of the court and a rubbery man, and past employers include the Gracious Widow, the Big Rat and The Teeth.

edited by elvor on 1/2/2012

"Now that the formalities are out of the way let us all proceed into the Docks.
“Please try to respect Irons, and the Zailors. We wouldn’t want to give them any reason to interfere.”

The procession of seven figures exited the small building, and headed into the docks. It wasn’t the busiest you’d ever seen the place, but there was still a considerable bustle of activity. Zailors and Claymen tending to ships, and transporting whatever wares came in that day.

With warehouses, roofs, ships, crates, and the occasional bystander to dance around, it should make for an interesting fight.

Your Enigmatic Facilitator leads the group to a well stocked warehouse in the middle of the district. No one around pays them any mind. With some luck it would stay that way.

“And now I shall take my leave of you, I’ll be seeing you shortly. Have fun, Don’t kill each other too quickly.”

With that the figure slipped around the corner of the warehouse, and out of view.

[color=rgb(153, 153, 204)]Jules’ mind was rattling like a machine and nervousness came over him. „Well, most certainly I am to fight these gentlemen, ladies and – whatever the rest is. And if I win, I’ll be the champion. My name in all newspapers – well some of the newspapers. This will be great.“, he muttered.
Unless he was sliced and diced, shot and crushed, drowned and smashed, poisened and eaten.

The other contestants were all tall people, so he only saw them as high towers with noseholes – except for that one blue-hooded person. He (or she) most certainly was to be avoided. Jules Vermin of course showed himself to the public. He was sitting on top of Barker, whose machinery was running while Jules was navigating him by pulling twisted yarns leading inside the cockpit.
He tried to memorize the other combatants, because he couldn’t see very well from the inside of Barker and hitting innocent civilians was to be avoided at any cost.

The terrain they were led into was not perfect for Jules. There was water, which is not really comforting for a rat sitting in a steel contruction. But on the othere hand there were warehouses – stocked with coal. If this becomes a long battle, he will require a lot of fuel for Barker.
Also there were some warehouses with metall parts – he could use them to fix up his dog provisionally in between battles.

„Wait a minute. Do you mean, it has started already? Oh my!“
And poor Jules was still not inside Barker. If someone was to recognize that, oh the consequences, the painful consequences! But suddenly he got an idea. He lifted his voice and spoke loud and clearly:
„Uhm…“ Not quite the dedication he wanted to show – but a good start. „Well. I have a proposition. Just look at him (or her).“ He pointed towards the man in blue. „He (or is it she?) gives me the shudders. And I think, you feel the same. So couldn’t we just kill him (or whatever the right pronoun is?) together? You know, to make the rest of the battle more pleasant – uhm… you know, what I mean, don’t you?“[/color]

[color=green]James is a little startled at the start. Now? They’re starting now? With everyone together? He had been hoping for an opportunity to spy on the other players, set up ambushes, possibly alliances. With all of them together when it began, what was to stop this from simply becoming one grand melee?

An answer came in the form of his diminutive opponent. An alliance… that was the sort of thing he lived for. He’d also heard the rumors about the blue individual. Rumors of permanent death, something he was hoping to avoid.

“That sounds like a great idea.” said James, stepping close to the L.B. and drawing his rapier. He hoped that at least some of the other participants would join in as well. He had his alliance, but they were still rather outnumbered. If there was a break in the action for long enough, he might be able to use some connections and grab a few dock workers to help set something up… that is, of course, assuming he can get out of the room alive.[/color]

[color=rgb(0, 0, 153)]The man in Blue surveys it’s fellow contestants. A man, a woman, a thing, a rattus faber and a denizen of the elder content. It wasn’t to impressed with what it saw. Not a single golem or cephalopod in the bunch. The rattus faber interested it. It would have to get a better look at the mechanism he piloted.

Before it could make any pleasantry’s the crowd had already turned against it. It slowly backed towards the shadows. The shadows were the only place where it felt safe. In the shadows it could plan and wait. It reached for something under its robe. It wielded a weapon concealed equally by the lighting and the creatures own precautious angling. It glared angrily at its two assailants. It was ready to fight or flee at a moments notice.

It waited for the others to make the first move.[/color]
edited by Cubethulhu on 1/12/2012

[color=#cc0099]The Imposter was currently in a rather innocuous disguise, that of a Bohemian Poetess. It had thought ahead, and decided that it wanted to present an initial impression of normality and weakness, and the image of a honey addled consumptive fit the bill nicely. Upon reaching the warehouse, it inspected the competition. The three humans, it knew how to handle. It had less experience with rats, and the mechanical contraption the rat was using was a complete unknown. More observation would be required there. [/color]
[color=#cc0099]
Most worryingly, it sensed that the imposing blue robed figure had seen through its disguise and knew of its true nature. This was… unfortunate. It had hoped that the other combatants would be unaware of the very existence of its species, and the fact that it had been detected by one of them so early was disappointing.

However, the tide was already turning against the blue figure. The Imposter knew that eliminating this creature before being revealed was a strong plan. It considered the use of its umbrella, currently slung over its shoulder, but wasn’t sure that poison would even affect such a thing. It fished inside its dress and retrieved a rat-work derringer, pointing it at the blue shape in the shadow.

“This beast reminds me of a creature from a particularly unpleasant dream of mine. I would be most relieved to be rid of it.” said The Imposter, in a convincing imitation of the past owner of its current face. While speaking and aiming, it backed away from the blue creature, ensuring that the rest of the group was between them. Not coincidentally, it was also backing towards a door out of the building.[/color]
edited by elvor on 1/12/2012

[color=maroon]Audrey quickly examined her surroundings. Wolfstack Docks - lucky, she thought, as she was very familiar with it from nights of investigations, fights, and drunkenness. Standing by her was an assortment of odd people, odd enough to sign up for a bloody bout of polite murder: something in a dark blue robe, who immediately strung Audrey as dark, suspicious, possibly inhuman, and positively fascinating; a tall man in a tan suit and a dark-haired person with a wide grin who she could only assume was a man as well; and a vapid-seeming Bohemian woman, who Audrey regarded with distaste - she cared little for fleeting people like her.

Oh, and there was a rat, sitting atop a what seemed to be a robotic dog. Audrey made sure to remember him in particular, as she would hate to seem prejudiced. Still, she had to admit she felt more comfortable with the human company.

The rat made a suggestion of an alliance against the robed man, and the man in the tan suit was first to agree. (Frowning, she made a mental note to find out their names.) Though reluctant to immediately target the most interesting specimen she had seen for some time, Audrey realized that it would probably end up being the most difficult contender, requiring a more organized kind of assault; and besides, it would keep a few of them united for a little whiles longer.

“Alright,” she agreed. “Though, is no one going to attempt an introduction before the bloodshed?” She glanced at the man in the tan suit, drawing his rapier, and the Bohemian, drawing a small gun. “I’m Audrey. I like books.”

She stepped towards the allied rat and man, and twirled her quill in her fingers.[/color]
edited by Audrey Shae on 1/13/2012

[color=rgb(0, 0, 153)]It looked upon the angry crowd with disgust. Why had they turned on it so quickly. It thought it had to do with its reputation. They want to kill it as quickly as possible. Out of fear. It could smell there fear.

The rat had been the one to turn them on him. The rat would have to be the first to go. It glared at the rat. Its gaze piercing straight through him. It wanted to make sure the rat knew it was marked for death.

When another member joined there crowd it knew it was time to make its leave. [/color][color=rgb(0, 0, 153)]It reached under it robe again. This time it procured a small capsule. The crowd moved in closer. It didn’t hesitate a second longer. With a lighting fast slight of hand it threw down the pellet.

A cloud of blue smoke exploded in front of it. The color meant nothing an added effect for a certain amount of showmanship. The other contestants would not find this out for some time however. By then the beast was already gone.
[/color]

OOC: Hmm, was hoping the remaining contestant would post… ah well.

[color=green]James was hesitant to attack the beast head on. He was unsure of the rest of his companions, and it wouldn’t do to be summarily executed while the others sat back and watched. However, then the blue man made a sudden movement, throwing down a capsule, and when the smoke cleared the man was gone.

James sheathed his rapier as a sign of good will “Well, at least that satisfies the facilitator’s wish for us not to kill each other too quickly. As for who I am, feel free to call me James. I like people, which is primarily why I wish to dispatch our mysterious opponent with all haste: I heard he has a habit of permanently killing his victims, and while I will try my utmost to kill you in later rounds, I would appreciate having the opportunity to meet up with any of you for a nice chat over a glass of wine once the game is over… which means I will be sporting and do my best to ensure you can all live once the game is over. I trust the rest of you will show equal respect.”[/color]
edited by Urthdigger on 1/17/2012

[color=rgb(153, 153, 204)]The plan didn’t work out as well, as he hoped. Sure, most of the others wanted to unite against the man in blue. But nobody wanted to make the first move – including Jules, who had absolutely no desire to risk his skin.
Also the scholary woman delayed any first strike by introducing herself. She was fiddling with her quill. The others may not recognize this as a weapon, but for a rat that quill was like a lance. The thing under the robe used his chance and escaped. But the look – the look on its (face?)! Jules was scared to death.

But still the robed one was not the only thing to fear. Four humans with guns, blades and other painful possessions also wanted his death. The only chance to delay a fatal mess, was to deepen the alliance and to fight the man in blue together.
„My name is Jules. and I like to… build things?“, he introduced himself. „I agree with Mr. James and I won’t use means of permanent death against you – if you promise not to kill me. Destroy old Barker here and I will give up immediately.“

„Does anyone know a way of getting rid of our mutual enemy? Will normal weapons suffice against it? Mrs. Audrey, have you read anything about it? Mr. James, did the rumours tell things of importance concerning it?“
[/color]

[color=#cc0099]The Imposter lowered its pistol, but did not put it away. The immediate threat was dealt with, and it was time to lay some foundations for its first deception. It spoke up.[/color][color=#cc0099]
[/color]
[color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]“Jeanette Harma, at your service.” It said. “You may have heard of me, my work was rather in vogue a year or so back. Not so much any more, sadly. London society can be so fickle. That’s why I thought I’d sign up to this game, you see. It’s time I got my name out there again. Rather unorthodox, I know, but my last reading with Madame Shoshanna indicated that I should take a big risk!”[/color][color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]
[/color]
[color=#cc0099]This was mostly true. Jeanette Harma had been a reasonably fashionable Poetess. Her output had dropped off a bit after The Imposter had gotten to her though.[/color][color=#cc0099]
[/color]
[color=#cc0099]“And of course I have no desire to give permanent death to any of you, even you, my rodent friend.”[/color]

[color=#cc0099]This was less true.[/color][color=#cc0099]
[/color]
[color=#cc0099]“Sadly, for now, I must too take my leave. This is a game of murder after all, and I’d like to get the measure of you all before I commit to any, er, ‘alliances’.” It finished.[/color][color=#cc0099]
[/color]
[color=#cc0099]With a small curtsy, The Imposter backed out of the door and vanished into the night.[/color]

edited by elvor on 1/17/2012

{It’s been quite some time since anyone has made a move and I must admit I am getting rather nervous.}

[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)]The plan of building a big alliance was not that successful. But still: three individuals might be enough to deal with supernatural villainy. The bohemian girl left the group. Was she dangerous? Honey, poetry and a gun are a mix that certainly produces trouble.[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] That other human, who had been quiet for quite a long time, was away, too. He must have gone away during the discussion. That meant three enemies out there in the darkness of Wolfstack Docks. Maybe the man in blue would be kept busy with the other two.[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] „How can you beat the unknown?“, Jules asked his companions. „I’m not sure, we will have a lot of chances to find out. Maybe our means are not sufficient at all.“[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] The rattus faber frowned and mumbled, while he thought about that problem. He climbed into Barker and tried to recall all his arsenal. Sure, shooting or biting him enough might be a solution. But that’s far too risky. What they needed was help.[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] „HEURECA!“[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] He jumped out of the cockpit and a smile was on his face.[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] „You both don’t have any troubles with the law, don’t you?“, he asked them. „I have a proposal. I know it’s anything but a sign of good sportmanship. Yet fighting that scary thing wasn’t fair to begin with. I’m talking about getting the constables here. Not the usual coppers, but the special kind. You know them, don’t you? Thick, white gloves. Get called when there’s grafitti that makes you brain a mashed potatoe when you look at it for too long.[/color]
[color=rgb(153, 153, 255)] I’m positive, they know what to do. And they are fast, too. What do you say?“[/color]
edited by Timotheus on 2/16/2012

((Ah crap, sorry I forgot about this. I started thinking about how to proceed… and then kinda got busy. I’ll try to post soon, but I’m trying to get a story written for a contest this week, so I might not have much creative free time until next Monday