Game Release: BELOW, a folkloric fantasy

I’ve just fixed the Depth 10 Treasure issue. You can now find the second tier treasures there, too.

I’ve made a post on reddit at r/games about BELOW. I hope that is fine. I can delete it, if Failbetter wishes to make a more formal post …

Hiya - thanks for the Reddit post. Would you mind editing it to make clear this is a personal project, not a Failbetter release, though, please? Much appreciated! I’ve posted a clarification, but the title will confuse people. Cheers!

Sorry, I never managed to learn how, even in beta.

There are several ways to begin learning the giant-tongue. The most reliable lie deep in the Bellringer’s Tomb. It may help (but isn’t necessary) to be on the right quest…

Thanks.

Last Q/comment for now: am I missing some use for resources when leaving the dungeon? I cam out with ~300 Treasure, and spent a bunch on Gear to (I thought) prep for the next quest - but then almost all that Gear (>200) was lost. I bought the Sea Kings down to zero, but then the only thing left to do with either Treasure (still >150) or Gear was trade it all in for 3 Second Chances - did I miss something? At least the huge number of Secrets bought some experience.

No. This is what you get, you high achiever! Stop messing about in that dungeon and go home. Have you even called your mother lately? She must be worried sick. And who’s helping bring your uncle’s sheep in while you’re frolicking with Scarrow, hm?

(Sometimes other options appear on that card, but they’re the consequence of specific stories.)
edited by Chris Gardiner on 4/15/2015

I really like it! I’ve been having a ball so far. I’ve had a few deaths, but that’s because I wasn’t prepared for hopeless and the terror it inspires.

Question: after you’ve defeated three stones, how do we travel the giant’s road? Is it an autofire I’m not getting?

[quote=friendshipranger]
Question: after you’ve defeated three stones, how do we travel the giant’s road? Is it an autofire I’m not getting?[/quote]
Can you send me a message (including your character name) via the Contact Creator option in the StoryNexus menu, and I’ll take a look for you.

[quote=Chris Gardiner][quote=friendshipranger]
Question: after you’ve defeated three stones, how do we travel the giant’s road? Is it an autofire I’m not getting?[/quote]
Can you send me a message (including your character name) via the Contact Creator option in the StoryNexus menu, and I’ll take a look for you.[/quote]

Thanks. I hesitate before reporting things that seem like they’re on purpose.

So the plan to have more playable characters is scrapped?

I’m going to look at how additional content would best be handled outside of Nex. I have some ideas but I want to dip my toe in first to assess the risk, return, and hassle. If it goes well, I’d want to add at least one more character. I have ideas and assets for a some smaller expansions, too: the Calico Man, the Seasons Turn, and A Bond with your Mother.

Oh gosh, I’m dying more than I did in sunless sea, and that’s saying something. I really enjoyed the glimpses that we get in the above deck of gallowsmoor, and I finally realized that you could go to the surface even if your quest isn’t finished today! (I’m going to stay in the first level this time and never go past depth 7 again.)[li]

Depth 7+ is not a happy place.

It seems there is a little confusion with Storynexus when it comes to the question of who exactly is in which place in what world…

… which is where the FL char on this SN account, one tab to the left, is spending time currently.

Apart from that, great to finally see it launch. Been playing the old ‘bare-bones’ version extensively already, I am seriously looking forward to the contents of this nice surprise parcel (yep, I just discovered the announcement right now).

Edit: it’s about an hour later now, and somewhen inbetween Below decided to recheck its map, and relocated me to the Bellringer’s Tomb. So just an odd quirk, probably.
edited by Reshemin on 4/30/2015
edited by Reshemin on 4/30/2015

No. No it is not.

Also, shout to the Ulfric Blade for being a) AWESOME and b) having really cool lore. I really don’t want to die and lose it.

[quote=friendshipranger]
Also, shout to the Ulfric Blade for being a) AWESOME and b) having really cool lore. I really don’t want to die and lose it.[/quote]

Thank you! It’s inspired by the Ulfberht blades of the early middle ages.

It may come in very handy during the last quest in the Bellringer’s Tomb…

On a totally unrelated note, Below plays truly great together with the sound/track of Divinity:OS running minimalized in the background. You should contact them for licensing :D

I think I got the good “endings”.

[spoiler]Got a Song of the Trickster, a Riddle of the Sage and a Ballad of the Warrior. Great stories, useful items. It’s nice to see the cracks running from the footprints our player character left.

Also, while I use the one possible spoiler per post: There is a tactic that I’d consider something of an exploit: Get Subtle 5+, hit the Above deck, get 3 Memories of Home, get Inspiration, use Inspiration to lower the Sea King threat. You will burn actions and lower the Sails quality somewhat slowly, but you will get extra MoHs and second chances at a good rate, without raising the Sails quality, and even better, you’ll draw a lot of prestige cards allowing you to get (with the right prerequisites) useful stuff like clues for a treasure trove and Twists of Fate. And you can challenge dozens of people to tugs of war if you’re so inclined! If you do this on Depth 10 or so you can even occasionally cash in Inspiration for a fat bunch of secrets.

I actually used that to get to 500 secrets, not extremely fast, but not very slow either and perfectly safe.[/spoiler]