Fuel Consumption - Theorycraft!

Fuel usage is the same, though. That penalty just affects speed, as far as I can tell.

[quote=Frenzgyn]MAYBE (just maybe) ship weight is taken into account with acceleration… but i have no value to say that…

Of course, this is just speculation… can you find any correlation with your existing data?[/quote]
I… I think the larger engines improve acceleration somewhat? But not enough? I noticed they seem to take longer to get up to full speed than the weaker engines do, so that over shorter runs the 2-speed time was more than half the 1-speed time. Sir Frederick did an experiment a little while ago, which (to me) also seemed to indicate that yes, the more powerful engines take a little longer to max out (see the Guest post below his, or look at the videos and draw your own conclusions). But it’s really hard to measure that exactly…
edited by Olorin on 2/13/2015

They always provide better maximum speed, but nowhere near twice as fast. To move twice the speed of the 800 power starting engine you need about 5000 power, not 1500.