Fox Hunting: Concerning a Matter Familial

Herein it is intended to lie the ontological ontogeny of the various breeds of the Family Canidae, Genera Alopex, Canis, Cerdocyon, Dusicyon, Lycalopex, Otocyon, Urocyon, and especially Vulpes, for the purposes of taxonomical integrity, service of public curiosity, and preservation of cultural tradition.

In more colloquial terms, where my vixens at?!

No. Really. Where are my foxes? I’d really like to know. I’ve searched all the churches in London (well, the proper ones anyway), murdered several impressionable young ladies, and filled my coop with the finest goose eggs and liver, but I’ve seen nary a hair from a bushy tail.

I know that that dread- delightful Mister Sacks likes to trim his coats with fox-fur. I’ve heard that pursuing a foreign posting hints at a fox in the city. I conversed with a Salty Fabulist who insists that they all went south to a mountain of ash and glass.

The latter two morsels seem to suggest that my foxes might be found in the Elder Continent but until the Carnelian Coast becomes accessible to me that does me little kindness.

So I turn my attentions to you, the most down and upstanding citizens of the Neath, to help me in my purpose. What do you know of the foxes in and out of the Fifth City?

I contrive the continued closed confidence of the citizenry charmingly consistent and curiously conspiratorial.

Contrarily, a closer cometh.

Ah, well, it was recently answered by the mysterious rulers of the (Fallen London) universe the following response to the question ‘Why are there no foxes in the city?’

Answer: Because Mr Cups denied them dominion over scraps and refuse; that was given instead to the rats. This was obliquely hinted at here and there, but my, it was obscure, and I’m not surprised it was the only question that no-one answered correctly. Some marvellously inventive ideas, though.

So we can assume that by ‘the rats’ they mean the Rattus Faber - the talking rats known for their smithy skills. There are also normal rats in Fallen London that are basically animals, but some individuals can grows to be as big as wild boars. The foxes may have been left out of the deal, killed for fur trimming, or could possibly have left London and founded another colony across the Zee. Who can say?

edited by Owen Wulf on 2/13/2014

Indeed. Whomsoever can say, should say, I say.

Additionally, this information does make me rethink my mostly, rather friendly attitudes and leanings towards the cities most loquacious vermin.

Perhaps aligning myself with the Big Rat was in the right after all.

I found myself exchanging Zee-Ztories with a certain gentleman the other day - a charming fellow by all means, if somewhat prone to exaggeration. He did mention the very subject, however, in connection with a &quotmountain of glass and ash at the farthest south&quot. Which is where the foxes disappeared, presumably.

I am not quite sure what to make of it, though. The fellow had been jolly drunk by the time.

[quote=Jacob Stone]I found myself exchanging Zee-Ztories with a certain gentleman the other day - a charming fellow by all means, if somewhat prone to exaggeration. He did mention the very subject, however, in connection with a &quotmountain of glass and ash at the farthest south&quot. Which is where the foxes disappeared, presumably.

I am not quite sure what to make of it, though. The fellow had been jolly drunk by the time.[/quote]

[li]
It is revealed in another piece of content that all but one of the things he tells you is a lie, and at the same time he reveals which thing it is. Unfortunately, this was not the thing.

[quote=Owen Wulf]Ah, well, it was recently answered by the mysterious rulers of the (Fallen London) universe the following response to the question ‘Why are there no foxes in the city?’

Answer: Because Mr Cups denied them dominion over scraps and refuse; that was given instead to the rats. This was obliquely hinted at here and there, but my, it was obscure, and I’m not surprised it was the only question that no-one answered correctly. Some marvellously inventive ideas, though.

So we can assume that by ‘the rats’ they mean the Rattus Faber - the talking rats known for their smithy skills. There are also normal rats in Fallen London that are basically animals, but some individuals can grows to be as big as wild boars. The foxes may have been left out of the deal, killed for fur trimming, or could possibly have left London and founded another colony across the Zee. Who can say?

edited by Owen Wulf on 2/13/2014[/quote]

[li]
If the rats have dominion over our scraps while the cats (I assume since they give Mysteries all the time when I catch them) have some say on the trade of Mystery items then perhaps our foxy friends may be better off assuming some control over the Influence items instead? I believe that their persuasive characters are more attuned to these scandalous bits of information rather than the scraps scraped off from our lodgings.