FOUND: Fallen London

Greetings and salutations, delicious friends!

For those of you who use Verizon FIOS and are of a technical bent, it might be worth your consideration to go here. That has directions on how to change your DNS settings so that you can make it back home. As someone who, until about 5 minutes ago was in the same boat, I can tell you that OpenDNS is fully updated.

Also please understand that you try this at your own risk. If your computer suffers from some great misfortune(although I’m not sure what) due to those directions, or anything else for that matter, it is none of my doing.

Good luck!

[color=#009900]ADMIN EDIT: This sounds like a good approach (though at your own risk as James says!) A few more notes from Failbetter below, here:[/color] http://community.failbettergames.com/topic918-found-fallen-london.aspx?MessageID=12953#post12953
edited by Alexis Kennedy on 8/27/2012

Thanks very much!! Thanks to you, I’m now a Person of Some Importance!
edited by theocide on 8/25/2012

Hmm. I never had a problem, even when just using the old url. But I use Google DNS, rather than whatever my ISP provides.

I think that’s the thing. I was using my ISP’s original DNS servers when it didn’t work. Once I switched to something non-ISP it worked just fine. I just got done grinding my shadow so that I can deal with The Box and Wilmot’s End and was(quite literally) almost there.

Thanks, I was finally able to connect. O_o

So Hello? From reading what you all are discussing it seems as if you understand why the game is not working and may have a way to make it work? My ISP is Cox cable, should I contact them and change my DNS to this Google thing? Should I just be patient? Does this happen often?

I have a hypothesis as to why the game isn’t working. Many moons ago(when the Earth was soft and Vakes roamed the land) I used to work for an ISP and we used to see this type of thing from time to time. In order to understand my hypothesis you need to know a little bit about DNS servers.

When you type in a web address(say fallenlondon.com) your computer sends a message to something called a DNS server. This server translates the words “fallenlondon.com” into an IP address which then is used to get you the web page. Whenever something is changed on a web page the information is sent to the DNS servers. If that information isn’t updated you get no web page.

Here is my hypothesis(and yes, this is important for my “use at your own risk” suggestion).

When Fallen London’s web address was changed on Friday some DNS servers didn’t get the update. It looks like it was primarily ISPs(such as Verizon and, perhaps Cox Cable). The thing is that DNS servers that are used by ISPs can be a little finicky and/or take awhile to update. I can tell you from experience that your ISP won’t do a thing to help you, I’m afraid. They will tell you to wait it out. However, you can go into your own computer and update your DNS settings to Google, Open DNS, or another way to get you a different DNS server.

This seems to happen pretty frequently with DNS servers that are used by ISPs.

Thank you so much! Worked like a charm!

I have a hypothesis as to why the game isn’t working. Many moons ago(when the Earth was soft and Vakes roamed the land) I used to work for an ISP and we used to see this type of thing from time to time. In order to understand my hypothesis you need to know a little bit about DNS servers.

When you type in a web address(say fallenlondon.com) your computer sends a message to something called a DNS server. This server translates the words “fallenlondon.com” into an IP address which then is used to get you the web page. Whenever something is changed on a web page the information is sent to the DNS servers. If that information isn’t updated you get no web page.

Here is my hypothesis(and yes, this is important for my “use at your own risk” suggestion).

When Fallen London’s web address was changed on Friday some DNS servers didn’t get the update. It looks like it was primarily ISPs(such as Verizon and, perhaps Cox Cable). The thing is that DNS servers that are used by ISPs can be a little finicky and/or take awhile to update. I can tell you from experience that your ISP won’t do a thing to help you, I’m afraid. They will tell you to wait it out. However, you can go into your own computer and update your DNS settings to Google, Open DNS, or another way to get you a different DNS server.

This seems to happen pretty frequently with DNS servers that are used by ISPs.[/quote]

I thank you much for your prompt and learned response. I shall choose patience over temptation.

This seems to happen pretty frequently with DNS servers that are used by ISPs.[/quote]

yeah, the Failbetter staff are also pretty sure it’s a DNS problem.

I personally was lucky and have had no problems accessing FL.

Description and instructions for Google DNS are here. Open DNS is also a good option, but for ease of recall nothing beats 8.8.8.8
edited by wlerin on 8/26/2012

[quote=wlerin]Description and instructions for Google DNS are here. Open DNS is also a good option, but for ease of recall nothing beats 8.8.8.8
edited by wlerin on 8/26/2012[/quote]
I read the instructions and got ready to make the change over when I gave my ISP’s DNS one last try.

I have never been so vexed to see a page work properly.

[color=#009900]Hi all[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Sorry about this. DNS changes have historically been straightforward for us, and this issue has caught us by surprise (over a long weekend in the UK!) It seems to clear up within a few hours for nearly all users, but only nearly all. I made another change to the DNS settings yesterday (details below) that I hope may have helped.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Switching to Google DNS or OpenDNS, as suggested upthread, sounds like a good idea. If for some reason you can’t do this, then notes for more technically enthusiastic users follow. I can’t provide detailed instructions for your setup, sorry! and this is all warrantyless suggestions and info. But it may help if you’re still stuck and no how to fiddle.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]—[/color]
[color=#009900]Formerly we just had wild-card mapping for all storynexus.com subdomains - I’ve also now added an explicit record for fallenlondon.storynexus.com, in the hope that this propagates faster/separately.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Because of the way Amazon do load-balancing, the DNS record is CNAME rather than A: this means that TTOBMK it isn’t possible to (eg) add a line to your HOSTS file that will have the desired effect. [/color][color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]If you can do something that’s the equivalent of adding a CNAME record, the relevant information is[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]fallenlondon.storynexus.com EBZ-2-1147703023.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com.[/color]

I’m really upset by this change, which has made it impossible for me to play one of my favourite online games. Since the change-over, it’s often been difficult to log in at all - I just get a white screen with “redirecting…”, which never resolves. When I am able to log in, I can only log in with one of my characters - when I log out and try to log in with a different character at the start page, it just goes back to the first character. I’ve spent hundreds of pounds in Fallen London over the last year and a half, and have bought one of the higher Silver Tree kickstarter levels. I now find that I’m effectively unable to play the game.

Yes, I have followed the instructions for changing the DNS settings and no, it hasn’t made a difference. One of the things I’ve particularly liked about FL has been the company’s previous willingness to help with technical problems - I note Alexis’ message that Fallen London “can’t” provide detailed instructions for solving this particular problem - hopefully FL are aware that a number of committed customers will now no longer be so as a result.

If you could email fallenlondonbugs@failbettergames.com we’ll see if we can work out what the problem is.

[color=#009900]To add to what Chris says - this doesn’t sound like a DNS problem at all, although it may have occurred at the same time. If you mail the bugs address I’m sure we can sort you out.[/color]

Thanks guys - I’m aware that my previous post was a bit of a rant. I’ll email fallenlondonbugs now.

I’ve been having to switch twitter log-ins to change characters lately.

It is admittedly handy most of the time, just not so much when I actually want to change.

wow, still not working through my ISPs DNS server – still getting down for service page… Remarkable. Remarkable is not, umm, a synonym for good, in this case. I am reluctant to mess with my IP addresses.

Y’know, I’ve bought $100 bucks worth of Nex is the past month and a half. Just sayin’.

Edit: back in.
[i]

[/i]
edited by Ian Welsh on 6/25/2013