Flint

I’ve just begun Flint. I won’t spoil anything, since it’s fate-locked, but I will say, if you were thinking about getting it, GET IT. It’s really good, the story is good, there’s an entirely new location to go to, and you get a huge pile of echoes with it.

I’ve been wondering if I should. I suppose I’ll spoil myself with some Flint when my exams are over.
edited by John Moose on 5/25/2016

I’ll keep that in mind- but there’s cheaper stories with similar popularity- see the soul trade, for instance. i’ll add it to the “to buy when i’m self-sufficient and have spending money” list.

I bought 130 fate recently, and I would strongly suggest playing other fate stories before Flint. I managed to get Uncovering Secrets Framed in Gold, Empyrean Redolence (and Bound in Diocesan Intrigue), Flute Street, the Jack-Of-Smiles story (the one you become it), The Gift and Trade of Faces for what is roughly the same price as Flint.
edited by ochrasy on 5/25/2016

Flint has five unique locations by my count, one of which is permanently accessible.

I bought 130 fate recently, and I would strongly suggest playing other fate stories before Flint. I managed to get Uncovering Secrets Framed in Gold, Empyrean Redolence (and Bound in Diocesan Intrigue), Flute Street, the Jack-Of-Smiles story (the one you become it), The Gift and Trade of Faces for what is roughly the same price as Flint.
edited by ochrasy on 5/25/2016[/quote]
The Jack-of-Smiles bit isn’t a full story so not necessarily worth it in my view if limited in Fate.[li]

Some of those, I wouldn’t spend fate on, but yeah- Flint’s going on the list, but near the bottom of the really popular stories: below flute street, below empyrian redolance, below the soul trade- maybe below others, i don’t know the full list, since i don’t like to constantly torment myself with reminders of how I want to play X, Y and Z stories.

[quote=Optimatum]Flint has five unique locations by my count, one of which is permanently accessible.

The Jack-of-Smiles bit isn’t a full story so not necessarily worth it in my view if limited in Fate.
[/quote]

that one was a personal choice of mine. I was just saying how, if you never bought fate before, you can get a lot of stories for the same price, so I think it’s more worth it.

Yeah there are a lot of good stories available for less. I loved Flute Street, Empyrian Redolence, Secrets Framed in Gold, The Gift, Trade in Faces, most of them really. And even the less noteworthy stories were still enjoyable, like the Blemmigan Affair - and profitable too!

I am looking forward to playing Flint - I played Lost in Reflections and I understand it had the same creative team behind it. I am guessing they are not charging so much for nothing, so…

Flint is excellent and substantially larger to the point where I wouldn’t even describe it as a story per se, but as an entire adventure.

I generally recommend buying the Gold-bordered Stories before the Silver-bordered Exceptional Stories - they tend to have a bigger presence throughout your game both effect and lore-wise. Some adds useful functions to cards that are useless otherwise, some clue you into bigger side-plots, etc.

Granted, their quality tend to be a little weaker as they are much older than the exceptional stories, but several ES build off them - Discernment is much weaker without playing Soul Trade, this story this month built off Theological Husbandry, etc.

If you don’t play Sunless Sea, definitely go for the gold-bordered stories first - stuff like Pentecost, Last Dog Society and Cut With Moonlight just aren’t that complete without prior knowledge from Sunless Sea.

Flint is nice, but getting four fate-locked stories first will probably be better value. And the first London-based half of Flint is mostly hype for the second-half that takes place Elder Continent.
edited by Estelle Knoht on 5/29/2016

Specifically the Fate part of Diocesian Intrigue.

Specifically the Fate part of Diocesian Intrigue.[/quote]

I think everyone already uses Theological Husbandry and Bound in Diocesan Intrigue to mean the same thing now. they are both built off Empyrean Redolence.

Really? I thought Theological Husbandry referred to beast-breeding in general, not just the Fate part.

it does, but whenever I see someone asking about the best fate-locked stories, a lot of people just mention &quotTheological Husbandry&quot as one.

I’ve been on the fence, so I will take this as an omen to finally get the thing! Is there a recommended requirement for skills and such? And besides “a huge pile of echoes” are there any unique items (no spoilers on what those items are necessarily, just want to know if they exist)?

Yes. If i recall correctly, there are at least three mentioned in the thread on it as an exceptional story, though only one choice lets you gain all of them. others may exist but be unmentioned as well/.

There are three special items given partway through; only one can be obtained at the time but up to both others can be obtained later depending on choice. There’s also the item for the exceptional story season, various rare and expensive items available (notably a Dreadful Surmise at the end), and most of the Sunless Sea items only otherwise available through a charity event and, in small amounts, other Exceptional Stories.

Could anyone still in the Bleeding Forest/Garden be kind enough to ID which track plays on the mobile app? [li]

Sounds interesting; care to drop a PM regarding them?
I probably won’t get Flit very soon and I choose what ever feel right for my RP, but it’s nice to have the rewards from other options. Specially when I can’t decide what to do; yes, one may say that I’m a gold digger sometimes. :D
P.S.: I was happy that the Aunt’s story (best) reward suited to my RP.