First thoughts. I'm already in love

With regards to strafing, i think a solution that would benefit everyone, would be to make holding a strafe button work like a normal thruster, but also allow doubletapping it for a quick speedburst like we have now.

And the cooldown on strafing bursts should be lowered or removed, because they already have a limiting mechanic - engine heat buildup

While i agree that space feels pretty empty at this point, i think its a very early build so i can accept it. Other than that i have loved the changes (combat actually works now, rather than being a broken boring piece of junk, and the economy seems to work ok) still room for improvement though
edited by Waylander on 9/2/2017

I agree with every for having a more customizable camera as well as with Nanako that it would make more fine control easier if the strafe was changed.

I think that difficulties with movement are a very good opportunity for player choice, honestly. FBG mentioned they wanted difficulty that fit each player, and different movement styles seem like a central example of that. Some people prefer the interesting opportunities that the current movement style provides, while others would prefer a style more similar to Sunless Sea. It might be difficult to implement, especially with regards to combat, so I’m not dead set on it, but if it were possible it would be quite nice.

A way to actually come to a stop would be nice too, just for docking. Even actually docking does not even stop you. You retain momentum still.

I would definitely welcome the return of pressing a button to dock like in Sunless Sea. Manoeuvring the train into the narrow end of the dock is incredibly irritating when all strafing does is slam you into the nearest rock. I’ve taken more damage from crashing into things than from enemies so far, and that never happened in Sunless Sea.

While it’s still not easy to move around at all, that advice about strafing is a godsend. I finally managed to make a trip without drifting drunkenly into collisions!

Your crew probably thank you heartily. :P

I’m actually really enjoying the new controls now (after that bit of rebinding), but I still feel like some kind of boost is sorely needed.

And a whistle.

I would love some way to push my engines for an increase in speed - as it is chorister bees are practically impossible to escape if they’ve noticed you.

Dunno why everybody is talking about the flight being difficult.
To me, it’s super-easy. And I am a casual-noob type of player. I hope the dev’s will make the flight even more ‘‘difficult’’ and not tone it down or something.

The only thing that is annoying- the island-layers. Sometimes, it’s kinda difficult to discern &quotreal&quot islands from background-scenery ones.

P.c. whats the &quotstraifing&quot thing they are talking about?

Strafing is using the Q or E keys to boost left or right to avoid obstacles and get in line to make a shot on another train or a beastie.

“using the Q or E keays to boost left or right”
Oh, the game becomes too-easy now.

Aye, if we can ‘boost’ left or right, we should be able to do the same foreward. Though they’ve mentioned taking away boosting because it was a good way of traversing the map at speed whilst not using any fuel, I think it should be kept, but with a hefty fuel penalty, and as a non-standard move, I.E if you double tap Q or E

I thought using boost gave heat - so if you do it too often you can damage your hull. I hope they don’t take it away as if you are using Cruise it is too easy to come across an obstacle that you can’t avoid any other way.

Where did they mention this? Removing it would seem… Detrimental.

in the latest podcast, they mentioned removing the ‘boosting’ ability and replacing it with a more standard lateral thrust ability, basically to stop people using the thrusters as a very fuel efficient method of travel

If it doesn’t affect the momentum the same way, detrimental might be an understatement. Why the heck would people even do that? The distance you have to cover in this game to get anywhere is immense, and it increases your heat, so you’d have to pay attention the whole way.

Hmm… I wouldn’t mind the thrust-&-doubletap option, but it seems like it would be easier just to increase the fuel drain, delay between boosts or heat spike.

On the other hand, is it really a problem if you can use it to save fuel? You’ll look silly doing it over long distances, and I’ve already used it once to save myself from an icy death when I hit 3% just outside New Winchester. That was a memorable moment, using my last little boost to slam into the dock at 0%, akin to the momentum of a dying boiler carrying you into London.

I’m in the &quotsatisfyingly frustrating&quot camp as far as navigation goes, but I agree that this would be a nice area to modify for difficulty levels either in gameplay itself or the amount of damage you take running into things.

I am finding it unsatisfyingly frustrating trying to tell which things will cause damage if I run into them, and I’m hoping that either further updates to the UI will make it clearer or I’ll get better at telling what the crisp &quoton the same level as you&quot items look like with more experience. It’s annoying having used up more fuel than necessary getting around a big island only to accidentally &quotrun into&quot it and realize I could have just sailed straight across.

I like that in general the gameplay is similar enough to Sunless Sea that I basically know what’s going on and can recognize &quotok, it’s this style of quest&quot, without just being Sunless Sea In Space.

Well, I am absolutely loving the atmosphere and Art Nouveau stylings. It’s jut beautiful. But I’m not loving the bugginess. I can’t interact with defeated enemies (it tells me to press R but nothing happens when I do), and just now I returned to New Winchester to find it… gone. Yeah, just up and vanished. Nothing there where it used to be. I’ve never done Early Access before, and this is kind of why. I’ll be happy to return when the game is finished, but I think I am done for now.

I think that’s a good thing, actually. I don’t want to be spoiled and get tired of it before it actually comes out. I think that is a real danger with Early Access. I’m happy to wait until it’s polished, finished and I can explore everything in one go. If I explore the Reach and its stories too thoroughly, I’m just going to be bored of that area when the game comes out and I have to do it all over again.

But really am loving it, and actual release cannot come too soon for me.