Finding your Soul

Okay, so, I accidentally sold my soul. I say ‘Accidentally’ because I clicked the wrong bloody button. I wanted to toss the devil out on his ear, but ended up with an Infernal Contract and a Fabulous Diamond instead. The Diamond is indeed truly Fabulous.

This happened a few weeks ago, mind. I’ve been trying to decide how I feel about this. RP wise, my character Rae would never have sold her soul, for anything. Yet, as a Player it’s nice to no longer have those infernal Intimate with a Devil cards showing up in my deck. Now tho, I can’t talk with the old man in the palace to raise my Counting the Days.

Anyone know if there’s anything I need to do to start my search for my Soul? I realize I’m waiting for an opportunity card to show up, but I don’t know it’s requirements. It’s probably fate-locked, but I’d be willing to pay the fate to start the search so I can get my damn soul back.

You have another option other than fate: there is a very small chance for a bundle of oddities to contain your soul, if the seed is 200 or more. See here: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Opening_a_Bundle_of_Oddities

So the ‘One’s Public’ card is the best bet. Paying fate will almost certainly be quicker, of course.

[quote=RandomWalker]You have another option other than fate: there is a very small chance for a bundle of oddities to contain your soul, if the seed is 200 or more. See here: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Opening_a_Bundle_of_Oddities

So the ‘One’s Public’ card is the best bet. Paying fate will almost certainly be quicker, of course.[/quote]Ah! So another option. I am, however, not exactly sure how the whole ‘Seed’ thing works. Is that sort of a random generated number that determines what is inside the Bundle of Oddities?

Also, I checked the &quotSomething Unexpected&quot page, and the content is retired???

no, it isn’t retired, is just very very rare, the best option to try to get it are: one’s public (standard card) hoist the black flag (at zee, standard card named those engines don’t sound healthy) and university (i think that the name is the student body)

Seed indicates the highest expected value of the Bundle. For An unexpected gift (from.Give a Gift) it’s 1008 or something like it, I don’t quite remember. So, One’s Public having max 204 works well for a 200 value bundle.

Okay, thank you. I’ve been doing the higher challenge “Put on a show for them” to raise my Persuasive. Last time I went to the Nadir I got a blow to my stats that I’ve been trying to level back up again. Thank you for the help.

Indeed, it’s not retired. Don’t confuse the following two wiki pages:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Something_unexpected
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Something_unexpected_(retired)

It’s mostly card dependent - One’s Public is your best bet.

Supposedly it could be possible with the Student Body in the university, but I have an alt who tried this option repeatedly in the University for several months, with no luck (eventually he got his soul back from One’s Public). If you’ll look at the wiki page, there are similar comments from people who’ve tried for months via the Student Body and didn’t succeed. It might be that the bundle value range from that option was changed and the wiki is not updated.

One other note: If you find your soul in a bundle (no matter the source), then you’re done and consider yourself lucky. If you wait for the (unusual frequency) card which can start you on the path of finding your soul (Fate required), you should be aware that it will give you an interesting quality (&quotKnown for Metaphysical Caprice&quot), which causes the aforementioned Fate cost to grow each time you sell your soul.

[quote=dov]Indeed, it’s not retired. Don’t confuse the following two wiki pages:

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Something_unexpected
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Something_unexpected_(retired)

It’s mostly card dependent - One’s Public is your best bet.

Supposedly it could be possible with the Student Body in the university, but I have an alt who tried this option repeatedly in the University for several months, with no luck (eventually he got his soul back from One’s Public). If you’ll look at the wiki page, there are similar comments from people who’ve tried for months via the Student Body and didn’t succeed. It might be that the bundle value range from that option was changed and the wiki is not updated.

One other note: If you find your soul in a bundle (no matter the source), then you’re done and consider yourself lucky. If you wait for the (unusual frequency) card which can start you on the path of finding your soul (Fate required), you should be aware that it will give you an interesting quality (&quotKnown for Metaphysical Caprice&quot), which causes the aforementioned Fate cost to grow each time you sell your soul.[/quote]Oh, I have no intention of selling my soul again. It’s mine. I’ll continue to search until I find it, but thankfully I now know where to look. Thank you!

I’ve been doing this on two alts for three weeks! It’s been very tedious. Each round of the carousel is fifteen actions and (in theory) allows eight opportunities (at 1/204). If 120 actions are taken per day, and if a third go to cards… well… six weeks is truly improbably long.

If anyone has gotten it recently I’d be glad to get confirmation on it being possible.
edited by MrBurnside on 2/2/2016

I’ve sold my soul twice, and gotten it back twice through the first option on the One’s Public card. This was within a week, and yes I’ve been ridiculously lucky. I’ve also been exchanging boxes and went through MANY of them, but in the end the souls still came from One’s Public.

My only tip is to thin your deck and feverishly draw cards either in Remote Lodgings or in the Forgotten Quarter to remove as many other cards as you can from your deck.

If you’ve gotten it from One’s Public then (unless things have changed) that means the possibility is from 200 or below. In theory the University option goes to 204 (and I’ve gotten enough Muscaria Brandy to prove it goes at least that high). It’s why I was asking if anyone had gotten it from the University carousel: it would mean that there were some changes to opening bundles if no one was able to find it through the University. If even one person gets it from there it just means the RNG is out to get me. That might make me post in the commiseration thread, but, it’s no big deal.

And, let’s face it, under normal circumstances, the differences between 0.005 and 0.0049019 is a little too close to worry about if it means using a storylet and not relying on cards.
edited by MrBurnside on 2/2/2016

How recent did you get 200+ from the university option?
Was this definitely recent enough to be after they introduced the change to recovering a soul (from 100 to 200, plus the whole Metaphysical Caprice quality)?

[quote=dov]How recent did you get 200+ from the university option?
Was this definitely recent enough to be after they introduced the change to recovering a soul (from 100 to 200, plus the whole Metaphysical Caprice quality)?[/quote]
Yeppers. It was several times over just the last month.

I put about two thousand actions into Student Body in January and have never gotten a 200+ result (i.e. neither brandy nor soul.) In comparison, I’ve done the Black Flag option about 10 times and gotten brandy 5 times.

If you combine my results with Burnside, the &quotchance&quot of neither of us encountering Something Unexpected after a combined 7000 trials is 1 in 8.69E14. Another way to look at that number is if every single person on the planet used an action on Student Body every 10 minutes since Fallen London came out, only one person would never have encountered Something Unexpected.

Either Student Body no longer gives Something Unexpected, or the Bag of Opportunities randomization is non-linear.
edited by Puutuulion on 2/2/2016

[quote=Puutuulion]I put about two thousand actions into Student Body in January and have never gotten a 200+ result (i.e. neither brandy nor soul.) In comparison, I’ve done the Black Flag option about 10 times and gotten brandy 5 times.

If you combine my results with Burnside, the &quotchance&quot of neither of us encountering Something Unexpected after a combined 7000 trials is 1 in 8.69E14. Another way to look at that number is if every single person on the planet used an action on Student Body every 10 minutes since Fallen London came out, only one person would never have encountered Something Unexpected.

Either Student Body no longer gives Something Unexpected, or the Bag of Opportunities randomization is non-linear.
edited by Puutuulion on 2/2/2016[/quote]
Wait, you’ve put in that many trials and not gotten brandy? Am I just totally mis-remembering? It wouldn’t be the first time, but the scale is enormous.

[quote=MrBurnside]
Wait, you’ve put in that many trials and not gotten brandy? Am I just totally mis-remembering? It wouldn’t be the first time, but the scale is enormous.[/quote]

Correct. Not sure about your memory, but my impression is that multiple methods to regain soul via bag of opportunities were changed to strongly encourage users to use the fate-locked option.
edited by Puutuulion on 2/4/2016

The Student Body did work shortly after the switch from value 100 to value 200 to get your soul back. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the range of that option was lowered in the meantime, however, since leaving it unaltered would have enabled anyone who hasn’t yet left the University to reliably sell and retrieve their souls for a significant amount of cash. It wasn’t to force users to use Fate, though - it was just to slow the whole process down.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/4/2016

[quote=Sara Hysaro]The Student Body did work shortly after the switch from value 100 to value 200 to get your soul back. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the range of that option was lowered in the meantime, however, since leaving it unaltered would have enabled anyone who hasn’t yet left the University to reliably sell and retrieve their souls for a significant amount of cash. It wasn’t to force users to use Fate, though - it was just to slow the whole process down.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/4/2016[/quote]

Yeah. The Student Body option seemed a little broken (or &quotseems&quot if it’s still current).

With One’s Public, you have to wait for a card draw, and give up one or two very good other options to play it, and keep doing this for quite a long time unless you’re quite lucky. And if you’re grinding via selling your soul, you probably have an exceptionally good version of the Hallowmas option on that card. So there’s real cost-benefit analysis, and a real reason to pay Fate if you badly want to get it back ASAP (or if you just don’t want to rely on long-term luck) – but you’re not unduly pushed to pay extra Fate in situations like yours. Seems like a decent setup.

Or draw in Wolfstack Docks, as the &quotWolfstack in the Fog&quot card has an option that gives a bundle with the correct range.

Changed &quotforce&quot to &quotstrongly encourage.&quot