Feast of the Exceptional Rose is Soon Approaching

[quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

Oh well, I guess it is more than made up for with the myriad Companions that cost nothing but community involvement and determination.[/quote]
I’m just hoping they add a companion between 21 and 30 masqueing, since… well, the masqueing cap from cards is 20-21, which means the fate-free gifts don’t have any user except saving yourself some card drawing. Well, maybe that’s not true, but I’d like a &quotgift exchange manditory&quot companion added to the list, as I know you can get all free companions in one feast without ever exchanging gifts, if you’re active enough. (I did, back during my first feast.)

[quote=Grenem][quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

Oh well, I guess it is more than made up for with the myriad Companions that cost nothing but community involvement and determination.[/quote]
I’m just hoping they add a companion between 21 and 30 masqueing, since… well, the masqueing cap from cards is 20-21, which means the fate-free gifts don’t have any user except saving yourself some card drawing. Well, maybe that’s not true, but I’d like a &quotgift exchange manditory&quot companion added to the list, as I know you can get all free companions in one feast without ever exchanging gifts, if you’re active enough. (I did, back during my first feast.)[/quote]

The non-Fate locked gifts do still have a purpose for newer players, just not for senior players who have done the Feast multiple times before. :-( I too would like to see a new Companion or two whose addition to one’s collection does not involve Fate. I have so many leftover Feast gifts that I could not use last year, because I had all of the Companions who might be obtained with a modest amount of Masquing, and my additional gifts could not boost my Masquing past the cap.

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Grenem][quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

I’m just hoping they add a companion between 21 and 30 masqueing, since… well, the masqueing cap from cards is 20-21, which means the fate-free gifts don’t have any user except saving yourself some card drawing. Well, maybe that’s not true, but I’d like a &quotgift exchange manditory&quot companion added to the list, as I know you can get all free companions in one feast without ever exchanging gifts, if you’re active enough. (I did, back during my first feast.)[/quote]

The non-Fate locked gifts do still have a purpose for newer players, just not for senior players who have done the Feast multiple times before. :-( I too would like to see a new Companion or two whose addition to one’s collection does not involve Fate. I have so many leftover Feast gifts that I could not use last year, because I had all of the Companions who might be obtained with a modest amount of Masquing, and my additional gifts could not boost my Masquing past the cap.[/quote]

IIRC some companions got added last feast, it is possible we will get some Sunless Skies(can’t say SS anymore…)companions will be available.

[quote=The Master][quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Grenem][quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

The non-Fate locked gifts do still have a purpose for newer players, just not for senior players who have done the Feast multiple times before. :-( I too would like to see a new Companion or two whose addition to one’s collection does not involve Fate. I have so many leftover Feast gifts that I could not use last year, because I had all of the Companions who might be obtained with a modest amount of Masquing, and my additional gifts could not boost my Masquing past the cap.[/quote]

IIRC some companions got added last feast, it is possible we will get some Sunless Skies(can’t say SS anymore…)companions will be available.[/quote]
I am virtually certain they will add new companions.[li]

Actually, no new companions were added last year, but this year could be different.

Yes, you could raise Masquing that way, giving one Masquing per Fate like most of the Fate-locked gifts. It would take more actions than sending gifts and having them declined, but doesn’t require anyone else.

Yes, but it can be done early, as well as not possibly falling prey to being deemed an exploit.

Given that most social actions don’t work that way, I suspect Failbetter intentionally programmed the gift options to return it when rejected. And if it wasn’t intentional, they surely know about it after several years of it being brought up.

Actually, no new companions were added last year, but this year could be different.[/quote]

Yes, it is my recollection also that no new companions were added last year; otherwise, I would have acquired them. But you are right, FBG could change that this year; I hope that they will.

Actually, no new companions were added last year, but this year could be different.[/quote]

Yes, it is my recollection also that no new companions were added last year; otherwise, I would have acquired them. But you are right, FBG could change that this year; I hope that they will.[/quote]
Well, this year is guaranteed to be a little different because Jenny is going to be there as the Mayor. Since they were already adding stuff, there’s a decent chance that they added a new gift or companion.

Wait…the festival starts on the 6th? I thought it started on the 14th. I have dramatically over-prepared for my Noman. I thought I had to survive three hits of TTH when it turns out I only had to get through 1!

Edit: Ah, nevermind. It seems the tattoo parlor doesn’t open until about midway through the festival.
edited by Scienceandponies on 2/1/2017

[quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Grenem][quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

To be clear, I got all the companions extant at the time, excluding fate ones (well, actually, a single fate one too), during my first feast. If someone with less than a year- less than six months, since I came in on the tail of hallowmas- can do that, my point stands pretty well. Not perfectly, but I stand by my point and complaint.

EDIT: to add to my point, which I still suspect some people might be missing, I didn’t use any of the gifts for the fate-free ones; I got them all through just feast cards.
edited by Grenem on 2/3/2017

[quote=Grenem][quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Grenem][quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

To be clear, I got all the companions extant at the time, excluding fate ones (well, actually, a single fate one too), during my first feast. If someone with less than a year- less than six months, since I came in on the tail of hallowmas- can do that, my point stands pretty well. Not perfectly, but I stand by my point and complaint.[/quote]

I got all the companions on my first Feast too. I managed to start the gift-exchange thread on the forum, so there was an extremely large amount of gift exchange. It devastated my stores of Romantic Notions and such, but that’s why I keep stocks of 2000 of each item anyway. You can never tell what you’ll need.

[quote=Grenem][quote=Catherine Raymond][quote=Grenem][quote= Saklad]I must admit I’m not a huge fan of the whole Fate-locked thing. I don’t want to pay that much just for items, and the Feast seems to have far more item-only Fate expenditures than any other seasonal event.

To be clear, I got all the companions extant at the time, excluding fate ones (well, actually, a single fate one too), during my first feast. If someone with less than a year- less than six months, since I came in on the tail of hallowmas- can do that, my point stands pretty well. Not perfectly, but I stand by my point and complaint.[/quote]

I got all the companions on my first Feast too. I managed to start the gift-exchange thread on the forum, so there was an extremely large amount of gift exchange. It devastated my stores of Romantic Notions and such, but that’s why I keep stocks of 2000 of each item anyway. You can never tell what you’ll need.

So what should I be saving up in preparation for the feast?

[quote=Silverias]So what should I be saving up in preparation for the feast?[/quote]Have a look here:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21486-the-incomplete-guide-to-the-feast-of-the-rose.aspx

[quote=Robin Alexander]Am I the only one hoping for new spouse options?
[/quote]
Well, there might well be something like that in the works. Or at least now would be an opportune time, as Hannah just announced in the Twitch stream that they were bringing Marriages and Divorces back with this feast (as well as some new companions), so that would be a nice time to see some NPC love as well.

So divorce gets top billing at a festival of love for two years in a row.

The sidebar has occasionally made clear that, while London has papered “Festival of Love” over the event, it’s actually a celebration of passion: its rise and fall, its rich beauty, its deadly ferocity… Making divorce a selling point of the Feast of the Exceptional Rose doesn’t degrade the season. It just makes it more honest.

I don’t think divorce is what the space-crab wants to see, but good point ;)