Favours and Renown

I am enthusixcited about the senseful reëxploration of favoribibity. I predict many requesters upturning responsiscoveries to their own questions — though more will apparitate, indoubtedly.

Renown: Masters 20? PM me for indiscretions.
[i]edited by TheThirdPolice on 8/12/2015[/i]

I think this sounds very sensible and opens up some interesting possibilities for stories. I like it.

[quote]Renown

Your Renown represents the extent to which you are known to members of the Connected group: it’s a measure of your celebrity or notoriety or both. It can go up, but it won’t go down; you might lose your Favours: Hell if you’re caught robbing the Embassy, but it won’t make Hell forget about you. And there’s no way to spend it.

If you own a Connected item, you’ll be able to spend Favours to increase Renown. The more Renowned you are, the harder it will be to increase. At higher levels, increasing it will also affect quirks, potentially raising them above 10.[/quote]

So… what does renown actualy do?

[quote=Jeremy Avalon]Conflict cards are presently practically infinite for a player with a wide range of connections, which makes Affair of the Box and Someone Is Coming options widely available. Will these be moved to other cards, will they disappear entirely, or will those grinds be restructured slightly?[/quote][color=#C2B280]We’re probably going to remove the Affair of the Box options. There’s actually no mechanical reason to play them rather than the storylets in Spite, which are all either equally good or a little better – unless you’re using them to flush a non-discardable card, which is not something we particularly want to enable.

Conflict cards will continue to affect Someone Is Coming, but you’ll draw them less often. Lots of other cards also increase it.[/color]

[quote=genesis]1. Will Renown gain be capped (like the Quirks) or completely unconstrained?

1. What’s the intended impact on &quotCall in favours&quot storylets?[/quote][color=#C2B280]We don’t plan to set a fixed cap, but there will come a point at which the requirements to raise are too arduous to meet. Call in favours storylets will work much as they do at present, except that they’ll consume Favours and in most cases have significantly higher payouts.[/color]

I am excited for the changes!

How will affect “scarlet saint”?

I don’t know about Renown not EVER lowering as a thing. For much the same reason that Notability, Making Waves, Scandal and Suspicion all reduce over time, I feel like Renown should too, at least story and flavour wise. Also, you mentioned trading Favours for Renown. It might make sense for Renown to make it easier to acquire Favours as well. If you’re more well known, it’s easier to get what you want from people.

That sounds perfect. Thanks for the response!

One more thing to have to really grind for. Thanks I guess

I’m looking forward to eventually seeing how/if this affects the Masters of the Bazaar connection. I might be able to see Mr Pages again, and that would be pretty fun. I doubt cashing those favours would be very profitable given the cost, but I could build it to 7 and see what new things it may unlock. That’s assuming this will affect the unusual connections in any way, of course.

I wonder if this is where the key to Paramount Presence lies…

So between the main Connections and Renown conversions, what will be happening to Connected: The Masters and the like in the interim? Will they remain unchanged until you focus your attention to making a proper conversion?

[quote=Master Polarimini]Another thing that could be fun is using some Connections that are polar opposites (Criminal-Constables, Church-Hell, Revolutionaries-Masters) to create opportunities and/or storylets linked to their respective value of Renown/Favour/Infamy…[/quote][color=#C2B280]We’re interested in experimenting with opportunities that require certain combinations of Favours: for instance, a branch that requires more Favours: Urchins than Favours: Constables.

It’s unlikely we’ll add anything like an Infamy quality, although we might make more use of other qualities like Turncoat to achieve some overlapping effects.[/color]

1. So what about the Big Top and Sideshow at the Carnival?

2. I’m a new player, so what is a “connection item”? Is that something like a “Antique Constable’s Badge”, which can be bought at the Bazaar and be used to increase connections?

Yep, that’s right!

Man, I’d love to see those stats. It would be fascinating to know which factions are the most popular.

This sounds like the time to ask.

Paramount Presence

Current theory includes maxing out all connections to be renowned enough. How much of renown is going to be required for it after the conversion?

That will make The Bethlehem and Bazaar much lodgings quite a bit harder to get. Also wines will now require two cards for every Airag, unless you’ll need them from T3 items and up in which case three cards? I hope that if you go through with that change than the conversions themselves become more profitable at least.

[color=#C2B280]Edit: coloured text confiscation. That’s mod only here.[/color]
edited by Flyte on 8/13/2015

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]

Man, I’d love to see those stats. It would be fascinating to know which factions are the most popular.[/quote]

I would too; and the conversion would be a great time to give those stats if Failbetter were so inclined.

Would make an interesting infographic too. :)

I think my stats are relatively high for most and I wonder how they will convert.

edited by Corran on 8/13/2015

This seems like a really promising and interesting system overhaul.

Renown sounds like a really nice quality. I like that its specific meaning is up to the player, and that it can’t be lowered. It also feels very sensible as an unlock requirement. Favours also seem pretty neat – especially adding special opportunities! Exciting.

RE: Affair of the Box options – I know they’re mechanically worse, but I admit, I play these options merely because I like the flavor text, which improved the Affair grind more overall for me by fleshing out the world around more. I would be sad to see them go.

Overall, though, the changes to Conflict cards sound very neat.

I’m pretty pleased that getting Favors from Connected cards is a Thing now. I’ve always loved Connected cards, but stopped having reason to play most of them a while back. They always felt like they should be pretty central to the Connection in question… and now, they will be!

I’m also pleased that renown conversions will take into account actual distribution. My Connected: Criminals 50+ was far, far harder to get than pretty much any other connection I deliberately raised. (whereas I sneezed in the direction of Hell and my connection went up)

Questions:

[ul][li]How might this interact with &quotClosest To&quot and &quotCounting The Days&quot?[/li][li]When cashing in favours for high-level conversions, will high-level conversions remain at the same payout levels, or will they be buffed to compensate for the significantly increased cost (represented by the favours you spent)? If so – in what ways?

Re: the last one; Criminals is an interesting test case here because it already has a very high cash-in value, and as far as I know and I could be totally wrong, people don’t spend a lot of time converting Rag Trade items and never really need to. But this wouldn’t apply to, say, Bohemians and Nostalgia items, or Church and Wines items.
[/li][/ul]

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]1) I have lots of Connected: Criminals. What will happen to it?
We’ll convert part of it into Favours. If you have a lot of Connected, we’ll convert what’s left into Renown. Renown is harder to raise than Connected, so the exchange won’t be one to one: we haven’t settled on a number yet, but 200 Connected, for instance, might become 25 Renown. If you’d prefer material rewards, you can trade your Connected for items before we implement the new system.[/color][/quote]Since we don’t know how hard Renown will be to get, an arbitrary number (like 25) doesn’t say a whole lot. Especially not when we don’t know how much would first be spent on seven Favours. Which could be interesting for people to know.

As for the opportunity to trade in our connections before the new system is implemented, will you be making The Smugglers’ Grave and other storylets from An implausible penance available as regular storylets for this purpose? If not, I might not be able to draw the card often enough to trade in all my 7000+ CPs (level 165), and that particular storylet is what I have based their value on. (Apart from wanting to reach the top title at 150, that is. But that title will be gone, so all that would be left would be the material value. And I doubt that 7 Favours would be worth as much as 635 Echoes, even after accounting for the 127 Actions it would take to get all those Souls.)

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]In particular, you’ll always be able to gain Favours using branches on the existing Connected cards. So you’ll always have at least one reliable source.
[/color][/quote]

Wait… Does this mean that all the faction cards that are completely useless to me right now will actually be worthwhile? I discard 70% of the cards I draw so that would be amazing. Could I still use docks/church/society cards to increase making waves?

I hate non-discardable cards, though. Will these primarily be for connections that are natural enemies (hell-church, criminals-constables), or for a wider range? Maybe I am missing lore, but I don’t understand some of the connection conflicts (rubbery men-tomb colonist in particular).

I’m definitely intrigued by this change and cautiously optimistic. Considering how much I usually hate potential game changes, that’s a good sign :)