Fastest way for makeing Components

I am now a person of some importance and am making a Zub the non Fate way.
Which is faster, makeing Components in Wilmots end or making them yourself?
edited by Jack Blackstone on 2/17/2012

Wilmot’s End. By a lot.

Since the advent of the new crafting system, this isn’t strictly true; it varies by component and the quantity you need. I think the bejeweled lenses are only available from Blackfinger street. Wilmot’s End remains the fastest way to gather whirring contraptions. As long as you need a few, it is faster to craft both cellars of wine and collated research. I still am working out the best source for strong-backed labor; it should be cheaper at Blackfinger street, but it is difficult to find reliable sources for quantities of gossip. As such I still usually resort to Wilmot’s End.

I don’t recall what else is needed for the zubmarine; I promised myself that if I played until I was a Person of Some Importance that I must enjoy the game enough to pay for and that’s what I spent (some of) the fate on. So I got it more cheaply :)

[quote=Dave ]
Since the advent of the new crafting system, this isn’t strictly true; it varies by component and the quantity you need.[/quote]
Good point. Let’s find out!

Yes, Bejeweled Lenses can only be crafted, so we’ll ignore them. The only non-crafting way to make Cellers of Wines is to already have a ship, so we’ll ignore that too. As there is no reliable source of either Mourning Candles or Scarabs, then Wilmot’s is the fastest way for Contraptions. That leaves us Collated Research and Strong Backed Labour.
Wilmot’s End option requires 34 actions to make 1.(You can also use the War of Assasins if you’d like)

Collated Research: The best source of Tales of Terror is in Flint. We’re going to presume you don’t have a Gang of Hoodlums, in which case 1 action equals 3cp. It takes 32cp to get 25 Tales of Terror or 2.27 Tales per action, which is about 6.6 actions to make the Tales of Terror you need for 1 Collated Research. The Best way to gain Appaling Secrets is to Convert them from Cryptic Clues, which should take about 10 actions to get the clues you need and 1 to convert them. All in all, about 19 actions, rounded up, for one Collated Research.
Crafting is by far the better option here.

Strong Backed Labour: The best source of Compromising Documents is the Foreign Office. It provides about 1.28 Documents per action(ignoring the cost to enter the Office) or about 12 action to get the Documents you need. For your Gossip, it’s the same as above, 11 actions. That’s about 24 actions to craft if you ignore the cost of getting into the Office, but even then it adds about 3 actions, which is still cheaper than Wilmot’s End.

So, if you’re willing to take a long term approach, it would seem that crafting for those two items is the way to go. Unless my maths are off which they probably are. Feel free to correct them!

I DO have a criminal gang of my own. It was the first thing i ever got as a person of some importance, but how does a criminal gang get cp up?

The last option in “The Big One” requirs a criminal gang, and gives 18CP of Casing for 5 actions. It’s slightly more effecient than well-planned villainy, which gives 10CP for 3 actions. I should know, as I’m grinding that exact option to purchase the final lodgings.

The last option in “The Big One” requires a criminal gang, and gives 18CP of Casing for 5 actions. It’s slightly more effecient than well-planned villainy, which gives 10CP for 3 actions. I should know, as I’m grinding that exact option to purchase the final lodgings.[/quote]
Thank you friends! i have one more question to ask: Which action in the foreign office makes intriguing gossip?
edited by Jack Blackstone on 2/19/2012

[quote=Jack Blackstone]
Thank you friends! i have one more question to ask: Which action in the foreign office makes intriguing gossip?[/quote]

None. The Foreign Office gives Compromising Documents.
It’s “the same as above” in that it must be made by creating them from the lesser item, which in this case is the Stolen Correspondence. There is an option in Spite which gives 20 per action. 10 actions translates into 200, which can then be turned into 53 Intriguing Gossips. I do not know of a better, dedicated source for Intriguing Gossip.
edited by Nigel Overstreet on 2/19/2012

For collated research-50 memories of distant shores make 10. that’s 250 salts or approximately 2400 candles. assuming you can get 50 candles/action that would be 48 actions for candles 2+8 to convert them and then 5 actions to get your memories.+1 to ger research. that’s about 64 actions to get ten which is 6.4 per one. That, of course, assumes you have a steady source of candles or salts in the first place.

One only needs 3 Collated Research to make a ship, so this may be a little overkill. For the purposes of this exercise, however…
The Veilgarden gives 100 candles per action. That’s 50 actions to get your candels. 5 actions to convert them to 535 salts. 1 action to convert that to 105 Memories. 2 actions to convert that to 20 Research. That’s just shy of 3 actions per Research with some spare change.

However…the only thing I can recall requiring that much Collated Research is God’s Editors, which takes 12, and the ship, which takes 3. So you’re spent 58 actions with about 5 Collated Research to spare. Then again, that’s less than 2 trips round the Wilmont bend, so there that is…

This actually reminds me–I feel that getting a whirring contraption in Wilmot’s end seems to require 44 instead of 34 actions? You need 3*10 to get 3 dramatic tensions and then need to build up searching for the missing woman once more to get the final reward. This sounds like not very efficient.

no, it takes 34. Because picking up the Whirring Contraption does not reset the cycle; you can pick up the Whirring Contraption and immediately pick up one point of Dramatic Tension again. So that cycle counts twice.

The best way to play Wilmot’s End is to spend as little time there as possible.

Its mechanics are goofy–you need to get 3 CPs of Dramatic Tension in order to get a reward, but the action in Wilmot’s End to get the final CP of Dramatic Tension resets your progress, so you need to go one more loop of 11 actions to get the reward. Sure, you can then get another CP of Dramatic Tension after gaining the reward, but that could easily be meaningless, as it will be wiped out if you head out to zee.

Instead, play each storyline in Wilmot’s End to the end of the first loop. Stop. Go play Enjoying Lethal Prominence in the Flit or Forgotten Quarter to build up your Dramatic Tension, and then head to Wimot’s End to spend it on the component you want. Leave Wilmot’s End, and never take the action to reset your Searching out a Missing Woman/Doing Business in Wilmot’s End.

Considering that Wilmot’s End is my least favorite area in the game, I’m pleased that it can be made optional this way.

Collated research can also be made with the Fidgeting Writer. A glimpse of something more exchanges for 2 collated research.
This takes 3 actions, 1 Tale of terror!, 1 Vision of the surface per 2 research if you’re lucky. Rather nice if you’re Unwelcome at the University, at least =)

Hard-backed Labour can be made with the 40 correspondence/2 actions in spite (Which gives 1 t. love story/20 correspondence on a rare success; for pure correspondence you could sell the stories and buy more) and then crafted upwards if you can’t access the foreign office.

Candlewax for contraptions can always be gotten from unfinished business, then crafted up; but Wilmot’s end is better here.

Edit: Any spare research you get may be used for making notes in your scientific journeys.
edited by Aximillio on 8/17/2012
edited by Aximillio on 8/17/2012

[quote=Tesuji]The best way to play Wilmot’s End is to spend as little time there as possible.

Its mechanics are goofy–you need to get 3 CPs of Dramatic Tension in order to get a reward, but the action in Wilmot’s End to get the final CP of Dramatic Tension resets your progress, so you need to go one more loop of 11 actions to get the reward. Sure, you can then get another CP of Dramatic Tension after gaining the reward, but that could easily be meaningless, as it will be wiped out if you head out to zee.

Instead, play each storyline in Wilmot’s End to the end of the first loop. Stop. Go play Enjoying Lethal Prominence in the Flit or Forgotten Quarter to build up your Dramatic Tension, and then head to Wimot’s End to spend it on the component you want. Leave Wilmot’s End, and never take the action to reset your Searching out a Missing Woman/Doing Business in Wilmot’s End.

[/quote]

unfortunately if you want the whirring contraptions you can’t avoid firing off the action that resets your Searching out a Missing Woman/Doing Business

[quote=EdwardLaneUK]
unfortunately if you want the whirring contraptions you can’t avoid firing off the action that resets your Searching out a Missing Woman/Doing Business[/quote]

The advice given by Tesuji was valid when it was given in 2012 - the mechanics have changed since then.

That’s the problem with responding to comments that are over three years old.