Farewell to Connected: the Orient

Ah, the issue of political correctness. I find it a bit worrisome that political correctness is dealt with almost entirely in absolutes, i.e. wholesale rejection or wholesale embrace of it. And the argument for freedom of speech that can and should be made is supremely important, in my opinion.

Opinions are exactly that. There are no right or wrong opinions, but without a doubt there are certainly offensive and hateful opinions (recently I stumbled across a blog where someone seriously voiced their opinion that LGBT people belong in work camps - for most strata of liberal, progressive Western democracies an incredibly appalling opinion, and certainly for me as well) and people are justified to judge, challenge and voice their disgust with such opinions. But &quotpolitical correctness&quot is more than that - it implies the sanitation and presentation of facts to omit or refurbish politically sensitive details. It implies, in a way, a policing of reality according to a pre-conceived message you want to fit to it.

At the same time, political correctness is, in my observation, fostering an idea of moral supremacy and righteousness, where people are taking their own ideologies and world views as universal fact, leading to the idea of a One Right Worldview, all divergences from which are equalized to be &quotwrong&quot and therefore, evil. This is sometimes known as manicheanism, and it’s as dangerous as all ideologies who claim full gnosis and pursue its expansion aggressively.

Of course, if someone fights for his right to &quotbe a jerk&quot, i.e. to maintain an unpopular opinion, that person has to expect to be judged for it by the opinion of others; freedom of speech certainly works both ways and if someone has an opinion that others feel particularily appalled about, it is within their own freedom of speech to react to it and to judge. But I can’t approve of the discrediting of freedom of speech as a value and as a valid argument in this debate, and organized witch-hunts with the goal of silencing opinions.

As for the &quotOriental&quot issue, I personally think it’s for the better. As has been discussed extensively before my post, the game loses hardly anything and gains a more welcoming atmosphere for players. Ultimately yes, the source material and the Victorian Era were much less socially progressive than we are, and even though some players might for roleplay or immersion reasons not mind the bigotry and understand it as a game construct and not as a personal attack (I am both a sexual and a racial minority and while I don’t love bigotry portrayed in the media, I can understand it if it is done for the sake of writing, much like I can respect a medium lacking minority characters because the story it tells can and needs to be told without diversity sprinkles) the atmosphere in Fallen London really hasn’t lost anything because of, for instance, the laissez-faire approach to player race and sexuality, or in this case from dropping a somewhat offensive term for several Asian peoples.

As for why I don’t like what I termed &quotdiversity sprinkles&quot here is that they are a well-meant but ultimately misguided way to force diversity into a medium which in the end comes short of creating a compelling, sovereign character: you do end up with a character exemplifying whatever diversity identity you wanted to bring up, but at the cost of the character basically being a tag, somewhat two-dimensional; not Prima, who happens to be black, but the black, who happens to be called Prima.

tl;dr: I think Failbetter are really awesome in the way they deal with sensitive issues like this but &quotpolitical correctness&quot as an ideology really ought to make you cringe, or at least, think.[li]

I agree that I like the way Failbetter has handled issues of race (a big part of why I hunted down that excellent article & shared it in this thread). My favorite example of it is the sillouette avatar. Also quite fond of the 3 gender options, but this originsl debate was about race. I really don’t think of political correctness as all-or-nothing or universal in any way. My ethics professor wouldn’t let us use cultural relativism or ethical relativism in any of our essays or tests, but I think cultural relativism play a part (unfortunately) which is why the UK fanbase didn’t react quite as strongly to “Oriental” as the US fanbase did. And there’s a way to stand up for freedom of speech, while also seeing why someone might want to avoid saying EVERYTHING that pops into someone’s head. I think Failbetter was motivated by the feedback they received, wanting to be inclusive, which was a refreshing reaction. They didn’t proclaim this as a “freedom of speech” or even motivated by political correctness (this was more about “correctness” for the audience).
And if political correctness is about sweeping racism under the rug, or about moral superiority for some, I don’t personally feel that way. I’m probably not alone. How can I be morally superior when I myself have made the occasional verbal mistake (accidental, without intention to harm)? I mentioned before how using the term “jerk” was probably an error on my part. I can’t really guess at someone’s motivations.
Aaaaand I shouldn’t go any further with my feelings about “freedom of speech” because they are complex, and wonky, and get my head bitten off on the internet especially. Let me thank everyone for being civil. I joined this forum because it is more civil than most.

I just learned about that connected: The Widow used to be connected: The Orient. I understand why it had to be changed, but connected The Orient makes more sense to me then The Widow. The Duchess and The Widow always struck me as out of place amid the other connections. Why should I care about one old lady? All the other connections are large and diverse groups. Perhaps changing it to Connected: The East or something like that would make more sense. I’m not really sure what the Duchess represents though. Cats?

Correct. The Duchess is with the Court of Cats, rules it I’d say.

Wow. This is an old thread that I did not know about. Development history is fascinating.

Related to the current comments, the duchess is related to Cats, and the cats are related to Parabola. I know that the Duchess herself does not represent Parabola, but the rest of her subjects do.

The Widow, on the other hand, can be tied into the Khanate easily enough.

With a bit of a stretch, we might be able to get Renown: Khanate and Renown: Parabola. That would be fun, and open a lot of possibilities.
edited by th8827 on 5/17/2016

Glass is a lot more Parabola than the Duchess/Cats. Cats exist and actively operate in the real world, not just in Parabola (see Isle of Cats, Carnelian Coast etc)

I’m pretty sure that the Isle of Cats are not really cats.

I wouldn’t mind connected Khanate instead of the widow. That makes more sense than east or orient. That wouldn’t offend anyone would it?

Connected: East would basically be Connected: Salt, and we all know how much bad luck he can be.

Currently represented by Suspicion and Nightmares, respectively.

Same. I’m glad to see that they went with this decision, though.

I’m not sure why I was surprised to see Amal El-Mohtar’s name mentioned - one which I’ve heard many times on some of the audiobook podcasts I listen to (EscapePod / Podcastle / Pseudopod, primarily ^_^ ), and so I shouldn’t be surprised to hear her mentioned in other story-driven things like Fallen London. It was just kinda neat. :-)

[quote=th8827]Related to the current comments, the duchess is related to Cats, and the cats are related to Parabola. I know that the Duchess herself does not represent Parabola, but the rest of her subjects do.

The Widow, on the other hand, can be tied into the Khanate easily enough.

With a bit of a stretch, we might be able to get Renown: Khanate and Renown: Parabola. That would be fun, and open a lot of possibilities.[/quote]
The Khanate doesn’t have much representation in Fallen London and to my knowledge the Widow doesn’t actually have any direct ties other than her origins.

The Duchess on the other hand is a lot more complex than just a lady who’s really in with cats. She’s the last survivor of the second city (arguably alongside her husband), an enemy of the Masters, presumably an ally of the Sisterhood, and holds immense sway in Society. The cats do most stuff without her, and I’d say they could even be considered enemies of Parabola.

Cats are certainly the enemies of the Snakes. But I’m pretty sure Parabola is theirs, or will be after they finish conquering it all. The Cats have a very Norman feel to me.

Let the Snakes look to the lesson of the Smoking Shore if they think they can win.

edited by absimiliard on 5/17/2016

Cats are from reality. Fingerkings and Parabola are not, and are intrinsically connected. I doubt the cats could actually take over Parabola if they tried.

Is that the battle mentioned in Court of Cats? I thought it was eventually revealed it was made up entirely.

[quote=Optimatum]Cats are from reality. Fingerkings and Parabola are not, and are intrinsically connected. I doubt the cats could actually take over Parabola if they tried.

Is that the battle mentioned in Court of Cats? I thought it was eventually revealed it was made up entirely.

But cats won’t try, because they don’t want to run things. Moreover, the cards you get when you go through the mirror suggest that cats have free access to Parabola naturally, so they’d have even less interest in taking over the place.

Oh, no, I’m not talking about the Prince Bishop’s claims. The Smoking Shore is the battle when the Devils were driven from Parabola, way back when men were monkeys. I don’t recall where I learned the lore, could’ve been off the internet as I’m a bit obsessed with Parabola and the cats, but it could have been from SS as well I guess – which is rich with very deep lore it take a lot longer to acquire here in FL.

I don’t think the cats want to run things. I think they just want to drive out the Fingerkings. Look at the Mirror Marches, very low snake-presence, just the one card, and it’s a friendly single snake – nothing like a boil.

But the cats have a huge feel of an invading norman-style marcher-lord society. They conquer places – the Dome of Scales – they rule over others like the Misermere. They are very clearly in charge in certain places.

I think they do it because they are Is. They go there in their sleep, and it doesn’t matter what happens to them because that Is Not. What they do with it … … … is claim territory and hunt, like cats do.

They just overlay it with a pseudo-European aristocracy because Fallen London.

At least that’s what I’ve seen so far. But I’m a long ways from the content boundary, so I could be completely unaware of something contradictory.

{edit: Oh, no, now I know what battle you’re talking about. I’ll fix my initial comment.}