Fallen London's Valet: a userscript

is it suppose to unequipped items that I don’t have the stats for? say I click shadowy it will add all shadowy items, but if I don’t have a shadowy glove it will remove the glove I do have and the same goes for any other items.

While this is in the same thread and with the same purpose as PotatoEngineer’s original extension, it is PE’s work that is specifically called out on the Whitelist. Is there confirmation that this script is also acceptable?

I emailed the Failbetter Games people, and they said it was okay.

@vermilliant, yes it unequips items that do not help what you’re trying to do. I can change that if it is annoying.
edited by ancusohm on 12/15/2014

Note that this seems to be a 7-Zip file (file extension normally would be .7z), not a regular zipfile. Download
[li]

I’ve recently added this to my FL experience. Huzzah!

Followed an_ocelot’s instructions, works fine. Thanks guys!

I am grateful for the authors work on this extension, but I have to admit my surprise that this is not part of FL’s user interface.

A significant portion of the player base are min-maxers like myself, and face either the tedium of switching outfits with every card, or don’t switch to the optimal outfit to save the tedium, and then face disappointment at our laziness (and annoyance at FailBetter) when the endeavour fails on a bad roll.

I can understand the MMO design construct of leaving tedious elements in to extend gameplay, but FL already has the actions mechanism to do so, so there’s no design justification to force the users to face an additional 20 seconds of meaningless clicking between each card interaction.

If choosing what to optimize (attributes, menace, etc.) is too complicated, then simply allow the users to &quotsave&quot their current outfit into a list, and then allow a single click switch to different outfits on the main page.

Here’s hoping FailBetter devotes a few days of developer time to adding this time saving feature to an entertaining game.

ancusohm, if I install and enable Valet in Firefox, it blocks Travers’ Dressing Room extension by removing its button. Any way you could fix this? Thanks!

It does that for you? Weird, because both work fine for me. I used my Valet to help me set up my Dressing Room actually.

I have the same problem on Chrome. If I enable both scripts, only the Valet is actually working. If I disable the Valet script and reload the page, the Dressing Room becomes accessible again.

This is a fantastic script, thank you very much. However, I have noticed a bug with moods. If I read the pages while I have a mood and then the mood goes away, the valet will still equip it. So I currently have equipped &quot0 x Cool as Ice&quot for +30 shadowy.

Do you mean you have the mood bonus with no mood at all?

I no longer have the mood, but the valet equips it anyways. And I am gaining the mood bonus.

[color=#e53e00] Hello! Quick reminder - if you spot FL bugs (as opposed to addon ones), please do send them to support@fallenlondon.com Sometimes people assume someone else will have sent them in, and so we don’t know about them for a while. But also, more reports means we can see how common the issue is, and will help us pin down the cause. Thanks![/color]

I submitted a ticket, in case it was a FL bug, but they replied that they can’t assist with addons. Still this seems like a pretty serious bug even if it is with the addon since it allows for a (potentially) indefinite mood when using the valet.

(Potentially because if you reset the valet’s knowledge of your inventory by resetting your browser/reading your inventory etc the bug and mood go away)

[quote=Brandon Truax]I submitted a ticket, in case it was a FL bug, but they replied that they can’t assist with addons. Still this seems like a pretty serious bug even if it is with the addon since it allows for a (potentially) indefinite mood when using the valet.
[/quote]

[color=#e53e00]Sorry about that. A case of left hand and right hand failing to communicate. No, wait, that’s not the phrase.

ANYway - we’ve done some investigation, and part of this problem is definitely FL-side - the addon is exacerbating it. Please keep an eye on this thread - I’ll update when we’ve fixed it. If it’s still an issue, it may then be just the addon. [/color]
edited by babelfishwars on 10/16/2015

Thank you very much for this.
I wish to add, that the instructions included there alone, are not sufficient to get this working.

At some point in the past, firefox was changed to not allow unsigned addons, which prevents this from working. To fix this, before attempting the addon, you have to reconfigure firefox to allow unsigned addons:

1. Type about:config in the address bar
  2. Search for &quotxpinstall.signatures.required&quot
  3. Doubleclick that setting, to change the value from True, to False. False is what’s required

After doing that, it can be installed.

Aside from that, i have some feedback about the mod itself. In my experience so far it’s behaving a little oddly, i notice that once a setting is chosen, your stats update after a few seconds. However, the equipment screen does not visibly update regardless of how long you wait. In order for the newly equipped items to show, you have to navigate to another page (or switch to the other inventory) and then go back to see it changed.

Until that’s done, it shows your equipment as it was before, even when that’s no longer correct.

A fairly minor issue, but fixing it would be nice, if possible

And they will remove that too. The only way to have an unsigned addon installed will be “have a developer build of firefox”.

And they will remove that too. The only way to have an unsigned addon installed will be &quothave a developer build of firefox&quot.[/quote]
Is this pessimism or Word of Devs? because the clarification would be nice.

Could somebody pretty please make this an official Chrome/Firefox extension so that it’s possible to run even under the gaze of our new Firefox and Chrome overlords who thankfully decide what I’m allowed to do on the internet (praise Google, the almighty. I am but a dumb sheep who would jump off a cliff without their gentle helping fist). I’d greatly appreciate it