Fallen London's layout rework

That is, reporting most of the Menace qualities directly on the homepage! I find it quite useful epsecially for the main Menaces (many times after selecting an Opportunity card I had to change tab to check my Menace level), but isn’t a bit too much to put on the homepage even qualities like “Virginia’s Progress” and “Orthos’ Progress”, that are actually quite limited in use, and likely lose any relevance whatsoever after the storyline’s resolution? That is, unlesse there are changes in sight that will rely heavily on those qualities _

(Also, the empty Opportunity card deck is now replaced with an offer to exchange 3 Nex for a refill. Does it do it automatically? I’m scared at the possibility of pushing it by error and losing 3 Nex on that :s)

Agreed on the lack of usefulness in having minor menaces on the main screen. I’d forgotten all about Virginia’s Progress - it’s been probably more than a year since I did that bit. Also, what is this Persuasion thing that’s showing up beneath Dreaded and Bizarre? Can anyone else see that?

I did check the empty opportunity thing - there’s a little confirmation screen, so don’t worry about accidental Nex-spending!

I think there should be a checklist allowing us to decide which menaces we want to keep track of and which we do not care about. I definitely do not need an Unaccountably Peckish counter just because one time Lyme decided that he wanted potatoes. Assuming such a thing is possible, that is.

Persuasion was a result of a bug. I think it’s showing up for you because you had it once, and this seems to keep track of everything you’ve ever had.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/10/2012

[color=#009900]Whoops - we’ve made Orthos and Virgina Stories, rather than Menaces. Peckish, on the other hand, is meant to be a nuisance. If you don’t like it, get rid of it! If any other stray qualities show up as Menaces and shouldn’t, let us know.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]Mortimer - Persuasion is a scar left over from an exciting bug. Mail the support address if you’d like it removed, or keep it as a unique souvenir…[/color]

I have 0 Unaccountably Peckish and it’s still showing up. I don’t mind it showing up on the sidebar if I have it, but currently I don’t.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/10/2012

[color=#009900]Aha, that shouldn’t happen. We’ll remove 0-level Menaces in the next patch.[/color]

Awesome. Then this change is pretty nice. ^^ Will definitely come in handy someday.

"As I was saying, in my deleted post, "

[color=#009900]Kitsuvo, I deleted the post and sent you a PM explaining why. When a mod does that, please don’t repost it. The script you linked to is against our ToS, and I’ve emailed you explaining why and asking you politely to take it down.[/color]

I think that with the kickstarter ads, the orange bar at the top of the screen, and now the new constantly-there fate card, Fallen London’s lost a bit of its finesse, its beauty. It would also benefit to have the menaces and the like optional; some are near-impossible to remove (Turncoat), and others people purposely level up (Unaccountably Peckish).
P.S.While we’re on the subject of the layout, whatever happened to fixing FL so that one could look at cards and storylets while out of actions? Half a year later, the bug is still there.
http://feedback.echobazaar.failbettergames.com/forums/25389-suggestions/suggestions/2941082-revert-to-allowing-players-to-view-storylets-and-c
edited by Alexis on 12/10/2012

[quote=Kitsuvo]While we’re on the subject of the layout, whatever happened to fixing FL so that one could look at cards and storylets while out of actions? Half a year later, the bug is still there.
http://feedback.echobazaar.failbettergames.com/forums/25389-suggestions/suggestions/2941082-revert-to-allowing-players-to-view-storylets-and-c[/quote]
I can look at storylets without actions. Can others not?

They’re there, but some people (I, for one) cannot look at the options on them without being presented with Imgur: The magic of the Internet
This notice is only supposed to pop up when someone actually tries to spend an action they don’t have.

[color=#009900]Don’t worry - there’s a confirmation dialog.[/color]

[color=#009900]So much to do, so little time.[/color]

[quote=Nigel Overstreet][quote=Kitsuvo]While we’re on the subject of the layout, whatever happened to fixing FL so that one could look at cards and storylets while out of actions? Half a year later, the bug is still there.
http://feedback.echobazaar.failbettergames.com/forums/25389-suggestions/suggestions/2941082-revert-to-allowing-players-to-view-storylets-and-c[/quote]
I can look at storylets without actions. Can others not?[/quote]

I can’t T.T

[color=#009900]Don’t worry - there’s a confirmation dialog.[/color][/quote]

Okeydokey! All in all, a pleasant change in the layout, though cards and storylet titles were more distinguishable when they were written in bold case.

Agreed. Could this please be changed back? It was so much easier to quickly scan the title and figure out if a card was useful or not.

[color=#009900]Folks, there was a brief glitch this morning where the styles fell off, but it should already be fixed. If you’re still seeing it, do a hard refresh and all that business.[/color]

I did a hard refresh and even used a different browser but the cards and storylet titles are still not bold.

Hopefully the next patch will be along shortly. Are they like London busses? ;-)

And let me second the motion for being able to see the full text for cards and storylets when you are out of actions. I know there is much to do and little time but for me this one would be high on my list of priorities.

Anyway, I’m glad to see all the attention Fallen London is getting, thanks Failbetter! :-)

Now I’m off to solve some cases starting with The Case of the Honey-Addled Detective.

What this upstanding person of mysterious and indistinct gender said. I’ve had friends complain and drop out of the game because it’s been stalled at the high end of content for so long - what was originally expected to “be all over by Christmas” seems unlikely to finish before summer 2013. I’m not complaining, but just passing on the fact that it’s impacted a lot of formerly-regular players I know. A lot of them have gotten the impression that Failbetter’s focus on Storynexus et al. means that Fallen London has suffered.

I just wanted to add that I really liked the changelog I got a little while ago. That’s very helpful for knowing what’s new/where to go (the prisoner’s honey didn’t hurt either :-)

I got two bottles of broken giant from the changelog!
or maybe one. i don’t remember even though it’s only been an hour

The storylet headings are fine, but the titles you see when you mouse over an Opportunity card or an icon in your inventory are still not in bold text, as they should be.