Fallen London's delicious words!

The original thread, I believe, was in the surface forum.

Antimacassar too. That’s just ridiculous.

Plenipotentiary. The way it rolls off the tongue is just marvellous. Although, I must agree that Mr. Pages’ etymoillogical phraseology is most amusing at times.

This passage is in my opinion one of the most Alexesque (Kennedian?), featuring an unsusual not-quite-simile and an adjective density of 13.6% :

“You can’t tell whether it’s your writing. You don’t often write on beds.”

Glorious. Merry Festivus, one and all, and thankyou to FailBetter!

I like the names of the two most well-known paths between Surface and Neath: the Cumaean Canal and the Travertine Spiral.

Both were named for sibyls (liminal seers) of Greco-Roman myth: the Sibyl of Cumae and the Sibyl of Tibur (today known as Tivoli).

And they’re such lovely names, too.[li]
edited by Nathanael S. Wells on 12/25/2013

‘Dramatalogical ontologeography’ has come to my attention.

Careful saying that, you don’t want to sprain your tongue.

Mr Sacks had me googling &quotconcrudescent&quot today. Sadly, it appears to be only partially related to a word in this world, &quotrecrudescent&quot and I am uncertain exactly what the slight alteration does to the definition, so exactly what a concrudescent Mr Sacks might be remains a mystery to me.
edited by Inky Petrel on 12/28/2013

Careful saying that, you don’t want to sprain your tongue.[/quote]

Too late. Still, I hear F.F. Gebrandt has something for that.
[li]
edited by theodor_gylden on 12/28/2013

&quotThe walls are beginning to blear.&quot It could just be a typo, but I like it…

(from use of a bejewelled lens while dining in my pleasure-spire…)

It might not be quite as fancy as other words in London, but I like the sound of the Truthbreaker Turbine.

Edit: Also, Cryptospelunking
edited by Martial Canterel on 1/11/2014

If I had to choose, my favourite would definitely be ‘Empyrean Redolence’.
Unless we’re including Sunless Sea as well, in which case it would be ‘Fulgent Impeller’ instead.

Also learned a handful of vocabulary in relating to fabrics, thanks to the rag trade items category.

Nice necro, lol.
But I do love that the Professor of Antiquarian Esquivalience is an expert in the ancient art of avoiding one’s duties.

I hit somebody with my &quotknoblolly&quot once. Wondering what on earth that was, I googled it…and laughed when I saw the first hit was another Fallen Londoner wondering the exact same thing.

And now the next time someone google’s it, they will laugh when they see that the first hit is someone who laughed when he saw that the first hit was someone else wondering the same thing.

As far as Mr Pages is concerned, I am convinced he is a descendant of Mrs Malaprop.

– Mal

[quote=Rook Crofton]Cheers to both KatarinaNavane and InkyPetrel for starting these word threads.

My words: whatever that word that means the outermost layer of a mushroom is[/quote]

The outermost layer of a mushroom cap is the pileipellis, that of a mushroom stalk is a stipitipellis.

http://www.mushroomthejournal.com/greatlakesdata/Terms/pilei476.html

[quote=Inky Petrel]Mr Sacks had me googling &quotconcrudescent&quot today. Sadly, it appears to be only partially related to a word in this world, &quotrecrudescent&quot and I am uncertain exactly what the slight alteration does to the definition, so exactly what a concrudescent Mr Sacks might be remains a mystery to me.
edited by Inky Petrel on 12/28/2013[/quote]
Seven (isthenumber) years later, I can tell you that re- means again, con- means not, recrudescence means to have a resurgence and therefore concrudescent means not having an outbreak.