Fallen London Redesign: to go live 1st October

Glad to finally see the new site go live! It is a lot easier to use on my phone, and a lot of my routine activities go smoother on desktop. The search bars are enormously useful.

I feel like this sort of thread tends to attract those who don’t like the redesign, so I thought I’d drop by and say that I really like it.

I’m here to complain about the lack of the “Who’s here” links for making new Contacts.

Thanks, i hate it

For realsies, was it so hard to make switching optional? What was wrong with the old one? It worked
What you guys did with the item icons? they were tiny already, now they are even more tiny + hideously shrinked and or cut.
edited by Irene Masters on 10/1/2018

I liked it the first time round, and I still like it.

The text is still very small though. I’d be very thankful to the person making a Bigger Font Size userstyle for Opera! :)

Not a fan. The opp cards are frequently hanging on me - I’ll be able to play a couple, and then on the third or fourth I’ll click to load a card or play a card or select an option, and it’ll just load indefinitely.

I suppose I’ll try and file a bug report when I’m home and on my laptop instead of my phone, but I wish that a bug report wasn’t necessary at all. The old site worked fine.

Also mourning the loss of the sidebar snippets. Those were a joy to read. And count me for another who doesn’t like how large all the options are - there is a lot more scrolling to see options, even though they’ve actually been divided up into more tabs (so there’s more loading of different tabs, too).

It does seem easier to farm orphans to the tigers based on how the tabs refresh after an action is taken, I’ll give it that. And the search function for items will be useful, hopefully. But overall I dislike it.

Edit: Oh, and not a fan of having to drag the map around. It was easier to navigate when I could see all of it at once, now I can barely see a third at one time. Maybe a quarter?
edited by Dalencienn on 10/1/2018

Yey! It’s here!

I’ve been using the beta site on my phone for a while now and it’s nice to see it making it’s way to the main version. Finally the Bazaar has search boxes, finally the Possesions are all on their own separate tab!

I do have a few nitpicks with some things, I’m more then happy to wait and let FB squash any remaining bugs before thinking about changing things.

Same, I usually play on my desktop and only occasionally log in on my phone, and I logged in on my phone to check and it does seem much nicer there, but on my desktop I feel like someone’s just stretched out a phone app to fit my screen, so much empty padding around options.
edited by Eskali on 10/1/2018

I’ve been using the new design as much as possible and am very happy to have it. It makes the game much more enjoyable on my phone, and the desktop is a bit smoother. I really really hope who else is here returns asap though.

First off, there are functional improvements and even some visual ones that I highly appreciate.
The search function both for qualities and items are great, separating possessions from the myself tab seems like a good idea, and all the card slots are finally neatly lined up next to each other for 5 card lodgings. But…

…I’m not overly fond of the new aesthetic, since it looks -at least to me- far too sterile and modern for a victorian themed game like Fallen London. I guess tastes differ and it is also simply a matter of me being used to the old design so much.
It will be probably only take some time until it will grow on me.
I just wish some things would stand out a bit more and look less unobtrusive. Somehow it is harder for me to read because nothing really seems to demand my attention and catches my eye at first glance. Overall it reminds me more of an informational spreadsheet or some working interface than a game.
Maybe its just me, but I find it more straining to my eye, since I have to focus harder.

Apart from that I don’t seem to have any of the problems mentioned by others. I use Firefox as a browser and everything is working fine so far:
Texts are were they should be, I can see my remaining actions with ease,
not much scrolling and the Sidebar Snippets are visible as well.

I’ve been playing on the beta site since FBG opened it up to all players some weeks ago, and I’ve grown accustomed to it, though I think the old site had more of an underground London flavor. I also see that allowing the old site to remain in use puts a burden on them, as they end up maintaining two separate sites–not a good idea for a small company.

What I am learning now is how the new site plays on my smallish Android smartphone. Mechanically it seems fine, if a bit slow. So far, the biggest issue I have is that I have to hit the &quotmenu&quot icon to see how many Echoes I have while I’m looking at items to sell in the Bazaar (all that information is on the same screen in tesktop mode, of course).

It continues to be a vast improvement, for smartphone playing, over the late, non-lamented app. The search bar on the inventory page/s is something that the game has badly needed for a while, and I’m glad we finally have it.

Thanks to Failbetter for staying the course and getting this done right.
edited by cathyr19355 on 10/1/2018

For anyone else who thinks the new design takes up a bit too much vertical space on desktop, here is my quick & dirty attempt at compacting things a bit:

(the top bar with logout is still available, just overlayed on the shrunken header image)

CSS here:

For anyone not comfortable meddling with custom CSS, Stylus browser addon takes care of that - just use it to import the above:

If you want the &quotsubscription days remaining&quot count back, just delete the line that starts with[color=rgb(102, 102, 255)].js-item[/color][color=rgb(102, 102, 255)].item[/color][color=rgb(51, 51, 51)] [/color][color=rgb(102, 102, 255)].item__desc[/color]

If you mean the little bits of lore on the right-hand side, they haven’t actually been flushed away. If you aren’t getting them I think that is some sort of error, perhaps, because I’m still getting those. &quotWho else is here?&quot really needs to come back, and sharpish, mind. Without that there is no in-game way of making contacts, and you have to resort to outside means, which is less than desirable. And not being able to see what other people are up to in an area makes FL feel much more of a single-player experience.

It took me a few minutes to realize that this new “Responsive” (i.e., phone-friendly) interface is (as is standard for “Responsiveness”) screen-width dependent. So if you have it in a window on your desktop and don’t see the bit of lore on the right, or even the current stats on the left, try maximizing the window to see those.

Can we still remove journal entries?

Ah, that fixed the only quibble I had with it, thanks!

…that didn’t quote right, I was replying to YetAnotherOne’s CSS
edited by MidnightVoyager on 10/2/2018

I’m… Okay with it, I agree that the bizarre phobia of corners that has infected all modern app design doesn’t suit a Victorian era setting, but I can get used to it, the real thing that bothers me though is that the smaller icons cut off a bit of the artwork in some cases.

It’s attractive, and I can see that some aspects are an improvement, but like others I find the white (beige) space requires an excessive amount of scrolling. And on mobile, the number of clicks required has notably increased, which makes my morning routine take nearly twice as long, which is unsustainable. I might have to give up playing except on desktop.

I also miss being able to see randomiser values, and I can’t even find the Airs of London to put in my scrapbook. I’d taken them out of my profile since the randomiser values became visible, so this is an unwelcome discovery.

Edit: Another thing I miss is being able to see at a glance how many second-chance items I have, so I know whether I have to go farm some. Anyone found an easy way to see them, other than clicking into a storylet of the applicable quality?
edited by the_antichris on 10/2/2018

[quote=Plynkes][quote=Dalencienn]
Also mourning the loss of the sidebar snippets. Those were a joy to read.

[/quote]

If you mean the little bits of lore on the right-hand side, they haven’t actually been flushed away. If you aren’t getting them I think that is some sort of error, perhaps, because I’m still getting those.[/quote]

Now that I’m at home and on my laptop, I see what you mean; I’m glad that they’re not gone entirely! But I can’t seem to find them anywhere on my phone.

Not getting the difficulty loading opp cards on laptop so far, either. Unfortunately for me, I do most of my playing on my phone while I’m out and about during the day.