Fallen London officially available on Android

[color=#cc0099]Delicious friends, today we’re thrilled to announce that Fallen London is officially available on Android!
[/color]
You can download Fallen London on the Google Play store right now.
[color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]
We hope you’ll find this new way to visit the Neath to be a charming companion to the browser game. [/color]
[color=#cc0099]
Note: When playing across more than one platform, please manually sync your game in the app before switching to any other device/the browser! Otherwise you may lose progress. Manually sync by tapping the candle icon in the bottom centre of the screen, then tapping the ‘Sync your progress’ button. Any issues please send message to mobilesupport@failbettergames.com[/color]

Yay! (wanders off to find their nexus…)

This is a really long time the app is spending checking for content updates.
Still, excited for this, especially the music, once it finishes. Been playing mostly on my phone’s browser anyway

Edit: closing out and coming back in worked. But the upon logging in, after the loading screen I saw just a black screen. Closed out again. Now on a loading screen for a bit, and given notification of my messages which is a good sign…and I’m in!
edited by Cthonius on 8/31/2016

Edit 2: loving the app. A little slow at first, with the occasional extra loading screen in the way with going to locations, but I really like the map. Inventory seems good, as does the Bazaar. Haven’t peaked at the plans or fate parts, but like that plans is where it is and haven’t yet seen where the fate tab would be (probs by clicking my number of fate). Music is nice. Opportunity deck being placed as is is interesting (curious how this will all look at zee or in a flash lay). Kinda sad not seeing colored borders around opportunity cards though. As well there was one instance where the image for a quality that unlocked a storylet (or rather lack of a quality that unlocked it) was garbled and distinctly not what it is when on the website.

I’ll write a proper bug report for Failbetter after classes and work, but till then this serves well enough for any other players curious about what to expect. Even it being slow is easy to ignore as lately the main site has also been slow to load independant of internet connection
edited by Cthonius on 8/31/2016

Hypothetical scenario: there’s a non-repeatable storylet with a 50/50 chance.
You try it in the app, fail, do something in the browser without syncing first, sync -> roll back the progress the app, try again.

Is this an exploit, or is it somehow deterministic so it won’t change the result?

That sounds like an exploit that can get your account banned.
edited by suinicide on 8/31/2016

Alistair, suinicide is right: that would be a violation of FB’s T&C:

[color=000000]&quot[/color][color=000000]attempts to modify character statistics and possessions through exploits, including syncing exploits&quot[/color]
edited by phryne on 8/31/2016

[quote=phryne]Alistair, suinicide is right: that would be a violation of FB’s T&C:

[color=000000]&quot[/color][color=000000]attempts to modify character statistics and possessions through exploits, including syncing exploits&quot[/color]
edited by phryne on 8/31/2016[/quote]
I’m not arguing that this is somehow legitimate; my question is whether it is somehow automatically mitigated (for example, the next attempt of a certain storylet is deterministic) - a dichotomy between &quota bannable exploit&quot and &quotnice try, but it doesn’t work&quot. But it’s nice to know FB included that specific wording in T&C.
edited by Alistair Cray on 8/31/2016

edited by phryne on 8/31/2016

I tried it once shortly after the app came out with an expedition, to see what would actually happen, and it gave me the same unpredictable treasure. (Then I reset it once more to confirm and it was the same result again.) So in some situations at least I think it may find some way to record the result and ensure that’s what happens if tried again.

Unpredictable treasures have a recorded quality, so I don’t think it behaves the way a straight Randomizer would.

For those of us who bought our products from Amazon

No, we cannot play Fallen London.

It’s not in the store. Yes, it’s an android device, but no, we don’t have acceess.

Maybe they will submit it to amazon and ask someday.

Does your Amazon device not have the checkbox under security settings to allow apps to be installed from sources other than the Play store? Removing that would seem like a very hypocritical modification to make.

the amazon sold devices don’t even HAVE the play store.
Just the PRIME store.
edited by ICountFrom0 on 9/1/2016

I’m curious to know how well the app works on others’ phones.

My phone runs Android 4.1.2, and the app is painfully slow. But, my phone is over four years old, and doesn’t work great anyway, so I don’t know how much of the slowness I experience in the Fallen London app is due to the old Android version, or my phone itself.

So for others who find the Fallen London app slow, would you care to share your Android version?

Yes, it’s unbearably slow for me as well, using Nexus 5 running Android 6.0.1.

In fact, it’s so slow it’s not practically playable (I’ve never encountered such slowness in any other app. And it’s not the network connection itself, since playing on my phone’s browser (Chrome) is really fast.)

I hope I’ll get around to sending formal bug reports later today.

It’s definitely slower than the browser. I expected exactly the opposite, having heard that the app doesn’t have to “sync” on every click.

I also would have expected “sync” to be one of the last things the app does when it leaves the screen, but apparently you have to do it manually before you go do something else.

It’s very slow indeed.

I have another question, primarily for people having experience with iOS version: does syncing there also de-authorize the browser version, if it’s currently open? If yes, that’s a very big inconvenience.

It’s a touch slow. And as much as I love the music I’ll likely stick to using the browser version when I’m in public and the app at home when I can indulge myself a little.

EDIT: On a personal note, I’d like to see how many items in total I have after an action.

Also, I don’t know if it’s intentional but the icon for Fallen London at the top of my phone is a simple square. Hopefully it’ll be an Exceptional Hat in the future.
edited by Blaine Davidson on 9/1/2016

[color=#cc0099]Just a quick note on syncing.[/color]
[color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]
The app versions sync automatically every ~10mins or so. The browser saves after every action played. This means if you’re playing on the app and on the browser, it’s possible to send conflicting information back to our servers. [/color]

[color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]For this reason, it’s important not to have them open simultaneously, and to make sure you prompt a manual sync in the app before switching over to play in the browser.[/color]
edited by Absintheuse on 9/1/2016

[quote=Absintheuse][color=#cc0099]Just a quick note on syncing.[/color]
[color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]
The app versions sync automatically every ~10mins or so. The browser saves after every action played. This means if you’re playing on the app and on the browser, it’s possible to send conflicting information back to our servers. [/color]

[color=rgb(204, 0, 153)]For this reason, it’s important not to have them open simultaneously, and to make sure you prompt a manual sync in the app before switching over to play in the browser.[/color][/quote]
This is also true, to some extent, of having the browser version open in several browsers at once. Which is an absolutely normal situation up to now for people playing on multiple devices.

Example:

1. Open an event (say, a card) in browser 1.
  2. In browser 2, refresh to be presented with branches. Select a branch.
  3. In browser 1, select a branch without refreshing.

In this case, the system reacts accordingly: your character is not in that event anymore, so the command is discarded and you simply get a refresh of the UI. I think the backend is pretty good at catching such inconsistencies.

Why does post-mobile-sync situation have do be different? Why force a token invalidation (ignoring the &quotremember me&quot setting as well) so that the already-opened browser UI breaks and presents a malformed login UI or an error? Because of the possibility to lose progress? I think there were ample warnings to that effect.

I will, of course, submit this as formal feedback as well. It’s frustrating enough to keep away from the app version altogether for the time being. Couldn’t catch it in beta since Android version never synced with real data before release.
edited by Alistair Cray on 9/1/2016