Fallen Fiction

Anyone interested in trying to put together some of the fiction in Fallen London? Scripts for &quotThe Bell and the Candle (translated, of course)&quot or &quotThe Seventh Letter&quot, maybe?

I think we already have a lot of the Seventh Letter script together - it only ever shows up with Lilac at the Feast of the Rose and in the Order Ovate medal descriptions.

Ah! All in one place. Thank you for those links.
Could you remind (yet again and again, as I imagine) which is which?
Mesanger - Bazaar
Owls - Masters
Dragons - Dragons who keep the laws
Pheonix - Another sun?..
Hunter - Vake?.. Is he a friend to the dragons? A spy?
Raven - ?
edited by Gonen on 5/21/2016

Ah! All in one place. Thank you for those links.
Could you remind (yet again and again, as I imagine) which is which?
Mesanger - Bazaar
Owls - Masters
Dragons - Dragons who keep the laws
Pheonix - Another sun?..
Hunter - Vake?.. Is he a friend to the dragons? A spy?
Raven - ?
edited by Gonen on 5/21/2016[/quote]
Well they’re not all entirely clear.

Messenger - Bazaar, definitely
Owls - Masters or Humanity, neither quite fits
Dragons - Dragons, featuring Storm as one
Phoenix - possibly Salt? quenching fire with ice is a big motif there
Hunter - probably the Vake but there’s not really enough detail there
Raven - Masters fit best IMO since they serve the Bazaar

[quote=Optimatum]

Messenger - Bazaar, definitely
Owls - Masters or Humanity, neither quite fits
Dragons - Dragons, featuring Storm as one
Phoenix - possibly Salt? quenching fire with ice is a big motif there
Hunter - probably the Vake but there’s not really enough detail there
Raven - Masters fit best IMO since they serve the Bazaar[/quote]

Well, could the Raven be humanity? Which now serves under the Bazaar rule. Looks like humanity could have a Hymn of the Shames which can drive a man to run in tears from the auditorium.

There’s not really quite enough detail to conclude either way, but I don’t think so. The Raven only shows up in one scene and explicitly refers to serving the Bazaar. Humanity doesn’t really serve the Bazaar - at most a few people have made contracts with it, and citizens of the Fallen Cities live within its domain, but that more fits the Owls taking shelter in the Bazaar’s spires. Though taking shelter in the Bazaar’s spires also vaguely fits the Masters, I dunno.

I guess that the Raven could have something to do with the Presbyter / inhabitants of the Elder Continent because in the &quotHymn of Shames&quot it sings about a &quotglowing-hearted mountain&quot. In FLINT there was also mention of the &quotShames’ Escape from the Garden&quot.

The Owls might represent whatever life-forms inhabit the nether-regions of the planet the Bazaar currently resides on. They live &quotbetween its spires&quot and are always threatened by the Hunter=Vake.

I agree with Phoenix=Salt, though I really don’t understand anything about Salt.

If I were right, it would mean that the Masters (except for one) do not appear in the play, which wouldn’t surprise me very much: they’re not as important as they might make you believe: it is strongly hinted at that they’re captives at worst, mere hangers-on of the Bazaar at best…

Somewhat unrelated: My theory about the Masters is that they don’t necessarily all have the same origin/belong to the same race. In the Long Road destinies, it is implied that you could become one of them - that might have happened before, on other worlds… maybe the Bazaar &quotcollected&quot one on every world it visited.

Somewhat more related: the Order Ovate medals are inscribed with scenes from the Seventh Letter; the Order of the Wistful Rose uses quotes from the Liber Visionis, and the Order Vespertine sayings of the Presbyter. Does anyone have an idea where the Order Serpentine’s inscriptions come from?
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 5/22/2016

@Rupho Schartenhauer:
Nice theories! Of course, another possibility for the Hunter’s identity might be the thing which lives in a well on Hunter’s Keep - which would then explain the island’s name!

Though I agree, the references to the Hunter’s &quotshriekings&quot seem to indicate the Vake pretty strongly.

And no, I don’t understand anything about Salt’s story either.

The Vake is definitely the Hunter given a couple different pieces of content describe him as things like proud-singer (Foreign Office extension and Bag a Legend! iirc). He also had a different origin that at least most of the masters, described somewhere as more lowly or unsavory or something.

I don’t think the Bazaar’s really ever stayed on one planet for long besides Earth. Pretty sure something said it only stopped by Axile.

The Order Serpentine medals don’t come from anything more specific than some generic story or folk tale.

I’m pretty sure the Raven is the Masters, probably collectively. They’re most likely out of the unclaimed figures to be familiar with Stone, not to mention the near night and the deep night aka space.

Salt is weird. To the best of my understanding, the relevant part is that it was tricked by another Judgement, the White, into coming through the High Gate; entering the Neath REALLY hurt; it made Frostfound and talked to Storm and Stone a bit; then finally it got sick of being a star so abandoned its name and nature for the space outside reality.

wait, which one is Storm? I couldn’t place him anywhere among the Dragons.

Storm is likely the Dragon in the fourth Order Ovate medal. Storm’s gift to the Bazaar is time, as was said somewhere (and phrased much more elegantly).

Now that I think of it, re-reading the famous “Do you recall” (echoed near the end of an epic journey, by our first Founder) - Doesn’t the Raven represents the Axile?
“And they sang of their lightnings and shapeful disgrace… they welcomed us”?
We have a song, and shame, and service perhaps?