ETA on the Light Fingers update?

Considering all the whinging about Heart’s Desire, I’d say Light Fingers shouldn’t be in too much of a rush.

I’m at the content boundary for Light Fingers too, but seeing as I’ve yet to finish all the rest of the stories, I’m not complaining yet!

I was perusing the Failbetter blog and found an old ambition post that can still be a relevant teaser for content, such as for Light Fingers. Since it’s been past a year (around 1 year, 3 months), plans may have changed. In case they have not, look out for such fragments! Seven fragments, I recognize four or even five of them have released (maybe more, I don’t know all the ambitions). :)

Posted October 14, 2014:

A bit off topic, but the blog has awesome posts about FBG staff thoughts on game producing, marketing, internships, and even development in general. I do recommend checking them out if anyone is curious.

Edit: Found out more info on which fragments could be related to currently released content.
edited by Ridagoth on 1/18/2016

I’m not entirely sure why everyone’s in such a rush to get to the end of the Ambitions, in any case. Once you finish the next chapter (or two more, in Light Fingers’ case) there’s no more, ever – it’s over. Wouldn’t you like to savor being in the story a little more before it’s over? Or does your longing to “know what happens” take precedence? Spoiler: something happens, it’s not world-ending, and there’s a 99% chance that your character goes on afterwards.

It’s the ending. Everyone loves a good ending. The players waiting desperately for Ambition updates want an ending to the tale, for their questions to be answered, for their toils to be rewarded. It’s a natural longing, for closure, I guess. No-one really appreciates a cliff-hanger unless there’s a follow-up afterward.

Personally, I had hoped Light Fingers might take a little longer. We have so much left to do and explore, yet. Also, I’m wondering whether the end of Ambitions might signal some sort of change within the general narrative. When you begin an Ambition you get the warning that what you are doing is a grand undertaking, one that stretches throughout the entirety of the game. Does this mean that with the end of Ambitions comes some sort of final, permanent content boundary?

Fallen London still has 11 years to go, before the next city comes down, so ending everything mid 2016 and saying that there’s no more content to come down would seem quite premature. What I’m hoping is that there are &quotsequel&quot ambitions. Your first ambition would end once you satisfy the original goal, or the original goal is lost. Then the sequel ambition’s beginning would start with a change in goals, and continue the storyline.

Well, actually it’s the update -before- the ending, the same update all the other ambitions have had.

I understand people being a bit put out by it since all the other ambitions have had the update already.

I’m not sure about others but I’m not in a rush to finish the tale. But it’s easy to forget details of the story after such a long break, which is a shame. And, as MidnightVoyager wrote, I was under the impression this is an update not a conclusion.

I’d like to see what happens, though, and if they’re not updating- it’s still, effectively, over, we just don’t have closure. More updates and longer story is preferable, but being at the content boundary and being at the story’s final end are effectively equivalent, as far as savoring the story goes.

Now, there’s no need to rush through the story, but I’m sure you can see the value of an update, ending or no ending.

Plus, i want to know what awesome payoff we have. [not talking about material rewards here, though they’re nice too.] What do we do? What changes? What awesome things happen, whether wonderful or terrible?

So erm… how is Light Fingers doing?

[quote=Robin Alexander][quote=McDermott]So erm… how is Light Fingers doing?[/quote]That’s a question that comes up a lot . . .
The shortest answer - and most respectful to FBG - would be to say: no word or further updates at this time.[/quote]I am a bit miffed about FB’s continued silence about this. There are probably several very good reasons for the delay - why don’t they just tell us? What’s wrong with a short Forum post &quotSorry folks, this got delayed because of reasons X, Y and Z. Thank you for your patience.&quot
FB’s communication policy is severely lacking here in my opinion. The original announcement was two years ago

I just got an email, and light fingers has been updated!!!

I got the same email. Rather peculiar, as I was under the impression that it was released a couple of months ago.

The penultimate update was released in September. I am assuming that the email isn’t telling us that the final update has been released, but maybe someone should go check?

Yeah, that email seemed like a summary of everything released this year. It mentioned Dilmun Club, renown, cheery man/constable, and Light Fingers. I suspect is nothing new for anyone who follows the forums.

I got the e-mail as well. Kind of ironic, since it was my alt who played Light Fingers, and she’s gone NORTH, so I cannot benefit from the update, whenever it is/was.