Enthralling : a new quality

Hello delicious friends,

By randomly browsing through my collection, I noticed that some of my books have an &quotenthralling&quot quality.

The page from the Liber Visionis has Enthralling 4 and my allegorical satires have Enthralling 2, for instance.

Is that new, or am I just very distracted ? It is displayed in the same way as Intoxicating from the wine items.

It’s new - I just noticed it too.

I expect it will be used in the imminent Exceptional Story. That’s my guess.

Highest value I’ve found so far: 5 for classic short stories. But a bit miffed that only allegorical satires out of the courtly works are seen as enthralling. I didn’t write that 12-volume epic poetry cycle just to have it implicitly dismissed as boring!

Here’s what I saw:

Volume of Collated Research: Enthralling (5)
Compromising Document: Enthralling (4)
Uncanny Incunabulum: Enthralling (4)
Volume of your Cryptopalaeontological Work: Enthralling (3)
Volume of your Theosophistical Work: Enthralling (3)
Outlandish Copy: Enthralling (1)

Also the Enthralling quality was mentioned in this Intoxicating thread:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic20989-intoxicating.aspx?Page=1
edited by Mirrorhouse on 1/28/2016

Proscribed Material has the best value to Enthralling ratio I’ve found, having 4 itself.

Tales of Terror: Enthralling (2)
Diary of the Dead: Enthralling (4)
Intriguer’s Compendium: Enthralling (4)
Zee-Ztory: Enthralling (2)
edited by Kaigen on 1/28/2016

On the Maladies of Goats is not Enthralling at all. Go figure.

Neither is my Gothic Romance, and -that- assessment is utter [censored] [censored] blemmigan [censored].

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron]On the Maladies of Goats is not Enthralling at all. Go figure.

Neither is my Gothic Romance, and -that- assessment is utter [censored] [censored] blemmigan [censored].[/quote]

You’d think An Entry in Slowcake’s Exceptional would be enthralling as well but no.
edited by Blaine Davidson on 1/28/2016

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron]On the Maladies of Goats is not Enthralling at all. Go figure.

Neither is my Gothic Romance, and -that- assessment is utter [censored] [censored] blemmigan [censored].[/quote]
I assume that some, though not all, of the enthralling was from a supernatural effect- hence why proscribed material has such a high value. your short stories get it from incorporating supernatural, and accurate, elements, but the almost-entirely fabricated gothic romance doesn’t.

[quote=Grenem][quote=Lady Sapho Byron]On the Maladies of Goats is not Enthralling at all. Go figure.

I assume that some, though not all, of the enthralling was from a supernatural effect- hence why proscribed material has such a high value. your short stories get it from incorporating supernatural, and accurate, elements, but the almost-entirely fabricated gothic romance doesn’t.[/quote]

[li]
Yes, but have you read my Gothic Romance?
;-)

I say! The only possible explanation for this is that your Gothic Romance was seen as utterly uncomparable to any other literary work, and will be awarded a category of its own in the near future! ;)

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron][quote=Grenem][quote=Lady Sapho Byron]On the Maladies of Goats is not Enthralling at all. Go figure.

I assume that some, though not all, of the enthralling was from a supernatural effect- hence why proscribed material has such a high value. your short stories get it from incorporating supernatural, and accurate, elements, but the almost-entirely fabricated gothic romance doesn’t.[/quote]

[li]
Yes, but have you read my Gothic Romance?
;-)[/quote]
No. will it get you possessed by spirit-beasts from behind the mirror, or increase the odds thereof? will it attract the ire of the omnicient dealers of death? Will it awaken the __s-moth within yourself? If not, nor anything kin to these, I stand by my point.
[/li][li]
[/li][li]I think nearly all the listed ones, save the short stories, are factual documentation of supernatural creatures, though- even outlandish copy is supposed to be, even though it’s 99% lies.
[/li]

[quote=Lady Sapho Byron]Yes, but have you read my Gothic Romance?
;-)[/quote]

If you could mail a copy to my lodgings… I’m certain I could find the time. :3

None of my Short Stories are enthralling either. Pity.

[quote=Grenem][li]I think nearly all the listed ones, save the short stories, are factual documentation of supernatural creatures, though- even outlandish copy is supposed to be, even though it’s 99% lies.
[/li][/quote]Now I’ll have you know that my Outlandish Copy is 93% lies AT MOST.

A classic short story ranks at 5, with an intriguer’s compendiun and diary of the dead ranked at 4.
edited by ZackOak on 1/29/2016

So we have two new qualities, enthralling and intoxicating, which have no apparent use as yet. Although two data points isn’t much to go on, what might they be used for? Immediately the fact that both serve to distract attention comes to mind.

And Lady Sapho, whatever FBG may say about your book, the author is certainly enthralling!

– Mal

I think intoxicating was used as part of the Flint storyline. Perhaps Enthralling will be part of a new fate-locked storylet or something?
edited by Sestina Valdis on 1/29/2016

Intoxicating was used in Flint, Sestina, but I figured that was just incidental, since apparently all that was required was that one have an item that was intoxicating, and it didn’t matter what the value was (or did it? Damn, I didn’t check that!) I thought it was strange that one could access one’s inventory for this, when it was normally barred.

– Mal

Ah, I see what you mean: why assign values if it doesn’t matter? That’s true. I wonder what interesting developments will arise from this.

That’s right; I don’t think value mattered during Flint, but I was cheapo and only used the cheapest Greyfields during Flint, so I can’t say I have tested this properly.

Let me also link to the discussion which happened earlier about this: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic20989-intoxicating.aspx?Page=2

Three, actually. Don’t forget about Recognized by the Order Vespertine, or they’ll stab you in the night!