Electricity?

So, this line led me down a personal inquiry (enquiry?) about the history of electricity in London:

That really interested me. Obviously, chandlers are still the biggest business, and we saw a machine powered by… well, more machinery last season. I’m a bit interested in the physics that do and don’t work in London. Has anyone else seen anything of interest?

There’s certainly something very odd about the Neathbow light, for a start. What kind of spectrum is that?

I also have a pet theory that the Dawn Machine runs on vacuum tubes, because if you’re going to build a machine that is trying to rewrite physical law itself, wouldn’t it be best to start with a vacuum?

[quote=Teaspoon]I also have a pet theory that the Dawn Machine runs on vacuum tubes, because if you’re going to build a machine that is trying to rewrite physical law itself, wouldn’t it be best to start with a vacuum?[/quote]The Dawn Machine is an at least partially successful attempt to construct a Judgement, and the Judgements outside the Neath certainly like to hang out in a vacuum. Its power certainly seems to be compatible with tubes of some sort, as shown in Sunless Sea:

edited by Anchovies on 6/23/2017

The Masters, at least, use elevators, so I believe that electricity is mainly used by the very rich.

The Masters are also in the Bazaar so those elevators may well be organic in nature.

Or, if more conventional in design, they might still be powered by some means other than electricity - screws, steam, hydraulics, or any other technology historically used for passenger lifts.

Um, what do the Stone Pigs count as?

Pigs are asleep. All is well.
Let’s leave it at that.

One quite unimportant but rather interesting subject is “White Coke” produced or delivered by Hell. It’s lootable in Sunless Sea and is supposedly a form of very energy-intensive coal that is, well, white. Hell’s been running on coal for a while, it seems, and White Coke might be the reason for it; no need to get a new source of fuel if you have what is effectively super-fuel already.

[quote=Spitfire Youngster]Pigs are asleep. All is well.
Let’s leave it at that.[/quote]
But are they off?

…Makes me wonder if half of Hell looks like a more baroque Centralia.

You can never replace god ol’ Candles.

… good*. Good ol’ candles. Yes.
edited by Tystefy on 7/13/2017

[quote=Tystefy]You can never replace god ol’ Candles.

… good*. Good ol’ candles. Yes.
edited by Tystefy on 7/13/2017[/quote]
Weren’t you trying to kill him or something?

[quote=Infinity Simulacrum]
Weren’t you trying to kill him or something?[/quote]

Well… he is irreplaceable. The Master will never agree on who will take His full duties.

Killing him won’t replace him.

That makes sense, wrong?